Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sweet Apple Acres

I am Roseluck

Just wondering, seeing as how they're ponies, why do they keep pigs, cows and sheep? They don't need produce or meat. Are they just for fun? It would seem they would be more... civilised, seeing as how they're all animals.

We have the cows for milk. As surprising as it may seem, some of us ponies do drink milk and we also use it to feed some of the other animals. The sheep are kept for their wool. The pigs are nothing but pets. For some reason they like for us to have beauty contests for them. Ironic huh?

(Seriously though, I think there may be some truth to some of that.)

Edited by Apple Bloom

Maybe there's two sets of animals in the show's universe. One that is fully-functioning members of society with speaking capabilities (so like humanoid, Zecora/zebras, buffaloes, the stampeding cows with the northern accents, Diamond Dogs). Then there's the primitive group of animals that are like the animals we have today, and they serve as livestock and such (Winona, Opal, etc.)

Like how there's the Diamond Dogs (mostly bi-pedal, can speak) then there's Winona (like a normal dog, can't speak).

We have the cows for milk. As surprising as it may seem, some of us ponies do drink milk and we also use it to feed some of the other animals. The sheep are kept for their wool. The pigs are nothing but pets. For some reason they like for us to have beauty contests for them. Ironic huh?

(Seriously though, I think there may be some truth to some of that.)

I suppose that could be true...

The Principality of Equestria is an apartheid state, and as such is an international pariah (hence why we rarely hear anything about other countries).

• Brohoof 1

Without milk they can't make cupcakes! Ummm... you don't need milk for cupcakes, do you?

They could always use Soy milk or some other substitute. Fact of the matter is, Equstria maintains a racist social hierarchy "for the lulz".

• Brohoof 1

They could always use Soy milk or some other substitute. Fact of the matter is, Equstria maintains a racist social hierarchy "for the lulz".

Wait..........to have soymilk first they'd need access to......soybeans......and I don't think soybeans exist in the world they're in........but cupcakes do, so therefore they need cows for milk and butter.

The Principality of Equestria is an apartheid state, and as such is an international pariah (hence why we rarely hear anything about other countries).

T'is verily a sad state of affairs, and, tragically, one that nearly everypony seems all too willing to turn a blind eye to.

Seriously the inclusion of animals on the farm seems like the same reason they have a steam engine on a train pulled by ponies. It's more to make it look authentic than any actual reason.

This is probably the true reason, but I like the idea that Equestria is some sort of equine South Africa (well, South Africa from 1948 to 1994).