Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Immortality

Argumedies

No, I'm not talking about the unlimited life span of some royal alicorn but of FIM in general or more specifically Twilight as an iconic character.

Well let me explain. I got to thinking while cursing down the road earlier today when the question arose.

Will FIM, or the name Twilight Sparkel be remembered, 20,30... 50 years from now.

What started me on this was a radio program I listened too and in it it talked about the longevity of some other iconic figures like Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse whom are 72 and 85 respectfully (That's pretty damn old for cartoon characters) Will the name Twilight Sparkle be as synonymous in name as compaired to names such as Snoopy or Garfield

And I know ponies have been around since the mid 80 but not as one character. And we all know that this generation will come to an end someday.

But I just got to wondering if this show, these characters, could live beyond that. Or will they just fade away in the night once the fandom fad dies down?

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Argumedies

Well if we as fans or the show don't carry her onward after this generation ends then she will be lost forever in time. I will remember MLP:FiM but I don't know about other people.

Mickey Mouse and Garfield are constantly in a new show so it is hard to forget them.

Edited by RainbowDarth

I think they she/they will be remembered by many for a very long time.  Unlike previous pony generations, these characters are so dynamic, so endearing, so engaging, and so well written, there's no way they would be forgotten.  However, I think they will probably only be remembered in the pony circles.  I kind of doubt they will reach common household immortality in the way of Bugs or Mickey.  If you surveyed every person in every first world country that has TV, there might be one or two people in the whole world who don't know who Bugs or Mickey are.  The mane 6 probably can't hope for that, but there's easily enough fans to immortalize them pretty well.

well in some ways that is already happening. some pony names in G4 originate all the way back to the original 1980's show. Its entirely possible that in a latter generation of the show, another pony will carry the name of Twilight Sparkle.

Edited by Snow Pony Malinter

I do not know, but my feeling is as long as one fan carries the torch for one charactor, the Charactors of all the seasons will live on, my favorite pair will remain, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.

It is thier story that pulled me to the fandom, I Already have a Celestia plush, hopefully I will find Luna this weekend when Toys 'r' us gets thier next shipment in, I may also get Nightmare moon as a representatin to thier story.

Oh and I am 59 years of age, just to point out the age span of the fandom.

Edited by High Step
  • Brohoof 1

I do not know, but my feeling is as long as one fan carries the torch for one charactor, the Charactors of all the seasons will live on, my favorite pair will remain, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.

It is thier story that pulled me to the fandom, I Already have a Celestia plush, hopefully I will find Luna this weekend when Toys 'r' us gets thier next shipment in, I may also get Nightmare moon as a representatin to thier story.

Oh and I am 59 years of age, just to point out the age span of the fandom.

Well guess I don't get the title of oldest on sight anymore lol

It will be remembered for a long time (10 years, maybe), but it will die someday, it can't be avoided.

Oh of that i don't doubt. And it's not that I'm really worried about it but just wondered if this has made that big of an impact to last in the minds of generations to come

Oh of that i don't doubt. And it's not that I'm really worried about it but just wondered if this has made that big of an impact to last in the minds of generations to come

Well, who knows? It's true that it has a big impact on a lot of people, but to last in the minds of generations to come, that remains to be seen