Have there been, or will there be any midwest bronycons?

Probably Lee

• 2 weeks later...

I hear you on that one :/

Personally, some friends and I are saving up for some train tickets to Baltimore. We won't be able to make it this year (since I'm the only one that managed to gather enough money of our friends that want to go), but we're hoping to make the journey next year.

How does one go about starting a con, though? If I could save the money to bring the con here, then that would be pretty awesome!

Edited by Hocus Pocus
  • Brohoof 1

Well, cons take a lot of planning, organization, and money.  You need to find an area for the event to take place --hotel conference areas being popular.  You'll need a staff of volunteers to help keep things running smoothly.  You'll need to contact all sorts of folk to arrange guests to attract interest in your convention.  You'll also need to plan a schedule, figure out the floorplan for your convention area, the cost for entry to recoup what you sunk into renting the floorspace and arranging travel for your guests, and a million and one other things.

Cons are not something that can happen out of the thin air, you need logistics, a team of gophers and crew, been seen as trustworthy in the community (people are giving you money so you can put this event on.. there is a lot of trust going on there).  It's almost easier to list what NOT to do to get a convention going than what to do.

As for my experiences with conventions; my first time to a con coincided with a couple weeks off from work thanks to some 300 hours of paid vacation saved up.  For myself flight was the best option, and since I had a few friends who lived in the area there I arranged to crash with them for a couple weeks so we could hang.  Their surprise when I arrived on their doorstep with a small suitcase in one hand and a 50 pound icebox on the shoulder filled with about $3000 of seafood and venison at 1 in the morning.  A few drinks and some prep work and the next night turned into an impromptu gathering as other bronies got invited over for a BBQ to help devour everything.

The con itself was fun, since I had the money to blow I bought up a pair of hotel rooms for sleeping areas for myself and others.  I think in the end we stuffed some dozen people between two hotel rooms.  The rest of the con is pretty blurry however due to sleep deprivation and copious amounts of alcohol.  Apparently at one point I was wandering around the hotel being buddy-buddy with one of the artists and the two of us were demanding chippies for the fat guys in the wee hours of the morning.

Edited by Sintanan

Hey, can these people put a Bronycon in Chicago? They need to realize that we exist.

Fellow Chicagoan! I completely agree with this. We are such a large city but people still forget about us. I'll bet Indiana and Wisconsin bronies want their fair share of cons too.
  • Brohoof 3

Why not Springfield? It's pretty close to the middle of the state and less intimidating for people from the Eastern Missouri/Southwestern Illinois area (Which more cities exist there than just St.Louis, such as Ballwin, Granite City, and Collinsville)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I wish there was one in Colorado, but I know that will never happen. 

Same here. :blush:

I hear you on that one :/

Personally, some friends and I are saving up for some train tickets to Baltimore. We won't be able to make it this year (since I'm the only one that managed to gather enough money of our friends that want to go), but we're hoping to make the journey next year.

How does one go about starting a con, though? If I could save the money to bring the con here, then that would be pretty awesome!

That would be pretty awesome, but it sounds expensive, and i would be worried there would be very few people there

I heard there is a convention called Midwest Bronyfest in Kansas City. It starts from May 22-24 2015. Here's the link:

http://www.mwbfkc.net

I swear it does not say it on the site, is this Kansas City, Missouri, or Kansas City, Kansas?

Well, cons take a lot of planning, organization, and money.  You need to find an area for the event to take place --hotel conference areas being popular.  You'll need a staff of volunteers to help keep things running smoothly.  You'll need to contact all sorts of folk to arrange guests to attract interest in your convention.  You'll also need to plan a schedule, figure out the floorplan for your convention area, the cost for entry to recoup what you sunk into renting the floorspace and arranging travel for your guests, and a million and one other things.

Cons are not something that can happen out of the thin air, you need logistics, a team of gophers and crew, been seen as trustworthy in the community (people are giving you money so you can put this event on.. there is a lot of trust going on there).  It's almost easier to list what NOT to do to get a convention going than what to do.

As for my experiences with conventions; my first time to a con coincided with a couple weeks off from work thanks to some 300 hours of paid vacation saved up.  For myself flight was the best option, and since I had a few friends who lived in the area there I arranged to crash with them for a couple weeks so we could hang.  Their surprise when I arrived on their doorstep with a small suitcase in one hand and a 50 pound icebox on the shoulder filled with about $3000 of seafood and venison at 1 in the morning.  A few drinks and some prep work and the next night turned into an impromptu gathering as other bronies got invited over for a BBQ to help devour everything.

The con itself was fun, since I had the money to blow I bought up a pair of hotel rooms for sleeping areas for myself and others.  I think in the end we stuffed some dozen people between two hotel rooms.  The rest of the con is pretty blurry however due to sleep deprivation and copious amounts of alcohol.  Apparently at one point I was wandering around the hotel being buddy-buddy with one of the artists and the two of us were demanding chippies for the fat guys in the wee hours of the morning.

Wow. Just, Wow. :confused:

Edited by Lee

I swear it does not say it on the site, is this Kansas City, Missouri, or Kansas City, Kansas?

Oh you're right; it doesn't give the state on the site for some reason!

Okay so I looked up where the Overland Park Convention Center is located (the place where the convention will be held). It's indeed in Kansas City, Kansas.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...