general media JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Enemy Stand

So, I didn't see a thread for this, and I thought Id create one. Discuss anything related to JJBA here, but please be sure to hide spoilers properly.

Some of you may be wondering, "What is this 'JoJo' you speak of?" Well my friends, allow me to explain. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a manga series by Hirohiko Araki, first published in 1987 and still ongoing, currently on its eighth part. It has been adapted into anime many times, most famously the 1993 OVA of the manga's third part and the 2012 adaptation of parts 1 and 2, the latter of which led to Part 3 also being animated (still in progress). The series has influenced many things, including video game characters (e.g., Guile from Street Fighter) and produced a fair amount of memes you may have seen, most notably "WRRRRRYYYYY" (did I kinda ruin this somewhat intelligent explanation by mentioning memes?).

If you wish to read the manga, the best place would probably be Batoto. The anime series can be found on Crunchyroll. I recommend watching the anime until you run out of episodes, and then starting to read the manga from there.

• Brohoof 1

I've seen all of the 2012 series (the first two "series") plus all of Stardust Crusader's that has been aired.

I do have to say I'm split on the series, because I absolutely adored the 2012 series. Everything about it was great. The settings, the characters, their obvious classic rock/oldies-related names (which are still present in SC...sometimes), etc., etc.

I don't want to say that the charm has been completely lost with SC, as it most certainly hasn't. I just was disappointed to find SC being so formulaic and episodic. The individual stories are still a lot of fun, but the overall story is just so formulaic it really lost what made the 2012 series so special for me.

I also think I enjoyed the 2012 series' action more over the stands of SC. Meh.

Edited by Envy

I don't want to say that the charm has been completely lost with SC, as it most certainly hasn't. I just was disappointed to find SC being so formulaic and episodic. The individual stories are still a lot of fun, but the overall story is just so formulaic it really lost what made the 2012 series so special for me.

I also think I enjoyed the 2012 series' action more over the stands of SC. Meh.

Yeah, the "monster of the day" kind of formula in Stardust Crusaders is kind of a big change from the first two parts, and some of the Stand battles do seem less strategic than those with the Ripple/Hamon. Part 4 kinda mixes the two in that many of the battles are won by strategy and the format isn't exactly the same (more slice-of-life than any of the others, but still fighting lots of random stand users).

• 6 months later...

Allow me to revive this thread!

I am currently reading through Jojo, I'm at part 6 right now.

Best part so far is 4. Kira is the damn best villain I have ever seen, and I couldn't stop reading during the last few chapters (Those involving "Bites the Dust").

I was not a fan of Stardust Crusaders due to the fact that it was mostly filler. Nearly all of the fights could have been cut out without affecting the plot.

As for part 5, it was confusing. Apparently, the only currently available translation is atrocious, which is why the ending made very little sense.

Part 1 was OK, and part 2 was a bit better. But the series didn't really get going until stands were introduced.