Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Month of Ramadan

guest243535531ty43

were mainly a christian country but Eidul Fitr or as we call it wakas ng ramadan (end of ramadan) is an important celebration for Filipino Muslims,it is a national public holiday for all in the Philippines.

• Brohoof 1

Happy Ramadan, not religious myself but i couldn't stop by and not say something, I hope it's not to much of a struggle to fast from sun up to sun down for you, heck, I couldn't do it for one day, let alone a whole month! Lol, am I correct in thinking that Mohammed fasted for one month (the reason I can't remember off hand, sorry!) and that's why Muslims do it?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Happy Ramadan! I'm not a Muslim myself-I'm a agnostic Unitarian Universalist, but as one I think that different traditions from different religious cultures are fascinating. Unitarian Universalists have only one holiday and it's not even official!  :o 

I'm curious; could you explain the background to the holiday? 

And a friendly reminder to anybody who has Muslim followers on their social media profiles-do try to tag any posts that might be inappropriate for the holiday.

Edited by The Taxman
  • Brohoof 1

Ramadhan is quite a big thing here in my country because of its Muslim majority. It's usually followed by a massive holiday-tradition where people go back to their hometowns.

I don't know about the US though. Do people crowd restaurants or such when they break fast there? And do they have something similiar to going back to their own hometowns?

Anyway, keep up the good job.

• Brohoof 1

Ya wot?

(I actually dont know what this is.)

Please try to look it up yourself or to PM me about it. I'm not comfortable sharing it on this thread since it's meant to celebrate a Muslim holiday. I feel like I would be invading the thread. 

I wish you all the best of luck, that's quite a commitment you put yourselves to. It's an admirable devotion to God.

Ramadhan is quite a big thing here in my country because of its Muslim majority. It's usually followed by a massive holiday-tradition where people go back to their hometowns.

I don't know about the US though. Do people crowd restaurants or such when they break fast there? And do they have something similiar to going back to their own hometowns?

Anyway, keep up the good job.

It depends on where you are in the country, in New York or parts of California, probably.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Shahr Ramadan mubarak. (May this month of Ramadan be blessed for you.)

Today's the first day of the month of Ramadan for most people (at least in the US), a month in the Islamic calendar in which Muslims are supposed to fast from sunrise to sundown every day. During this fast you are meant to abstain from eating, drinking any beverage, smoking, committing sexual acts, being angry, and treating people badly.

Is anyone fasting on here? Have any plans for the month? How long is your fast going to be? Mine's almost 18 hours.

Anyone, fasting or not or Muslim or not, is welcome to post, but I would rather this doesn't turn into a debate thread. If you want to discuss something, have questions, or just want to talk, that would be great. :)

To be honest I thought I was the only Muslim user on MLPForums at all.

Shahr Ramadan mubarak to you as well.

Anyways, I'm starting my fast right now and I'm quite excited for when the day is over and to go to Allah's house!

I've done mistakes during the last few times I've fasted but I'm going to try hard this year. Too bad my lips are getting dry right now.

It makes me SO happy to see I'm not the only Muslim here and the only person knowing what Ramadan is! YYYYYEEEEEESSSSS.

I wish you all the best of luck, that's quite a commitment you put yourselves to. It's an admirable devotion to God.

It depends on where you are in the country, in New York or parts of California, probably.

Long time no seek Steel (remember me as GoldenGlintingPurple/InspireLavender on the Religious Tolerance Thread?)

It's not hard really to do that much, but we push ourselves hard with Ramadan for God/Allah and like to devote ourselves to it.

You may be right because I live in California. XD Even though the Ramadan caldendar is lunar based on the moon. (Kind of like Princess Luna.)

Edited by GoldenKeybladeFreddy
  • Brohoof 2

It's not hard really to do that much, but we push ourselves hard with Ramadan for God/Allah and like to devote ourselves to it. You may be right because I live in California. XD Even though the Ramadan caldendar is lunar based on the moon. (Kind of like Princess Luna.)

Well I personally would find it hard to fast for that long a time, so in an admittedly subjective comparison, it seems an impressive act.

You probably know this but we have a similar holiday with Lent before Easter were we subject ourselves to a personal form of fasting. It can be anything from certain foods to activities. We also are supposed to go to confession around this time. I always find that VERY difficult to observe. ( . . . The fasting, not the confession. God knows I've made my share of mistakes.)

• Brohoof 2

Well I personally would find it hard to fast for that long a time, so in an admittedly subjective comparison, it seems an impressive act.

You probably know this but we have a similar holiday with Lent before Easter were we subject ourselves to a personal form of fasting. It can be anything from certain foods to activities. We also are supposed to go to confession around this time. I always find that VERY difficult to observe. ( . . . The fasting, not the confession. God knows I've made my share of mistakes.)

I never knew that, sounds quite interesting actually and quite similar to Ramadan!

We all make mistakes here and there, nobody's perfect you know. I wouldn't be too surprised if I don't go to heaven anyways for my past mistakes. :/ What do you mean by confession though if I may ask? :)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Ramadan mubarak! Bahá'ís like myself fasted in back in March. It always aligns with Naw-Rúz, Spring Equinox, so it is approximately 12 hours.

What I really appreciate during the fast is that I find myself more prayerful and rejuvenated spiritually.

I can't imagine 18 hours... How do you get enough sleep?

I hope this month will be a blessing to you (all)!

Edited by MontagnaMagica
  • Brohoof 3

I never knew that, sounds quite interesting actually and quite similar to Ramadan!

We all make mistakes here and there, nobody's perfect you know. I wouldn't be too surprised if I don't go to heaven anyways for my past mistakes. :/ What do you mean by confession though if I may ask? :)

Oh don't be so hard on yourself.

Anyway confession is a Christian sacrament that I'm sure you've seen at least a few times on t.v. or movies, where you go to a Priest and you confess your sins to him in confidence. You both then say a special sacramental prayer for forgiveness and the priest absolves you of your sins in the name of God, usually he'll also give you a task that's meant to help you commit to your intended atonement. E.g. if you stole money from your parents, he'll tell you to admit the action to them and then help them out in some manner.

I live in germany and we have quite a nice humble muslim community here. I know a few people who are starting to fast during that time and while i am not part of any religion, i think it's a great thing to train yourself in discipline.

• Brohoof 2

I started my first fast about three hours ago. Here come the days of anxiously waiting for the sun to set so I can stop my stomach from growling :P

One thing Ramzan does is that it reminds you of all those people who don't always get food on the table and how hard their struggle is.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

When I had first heard of Ramadan it reminded me of and still reminds me of Lent which is a traditions practices by Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Christians which is meant to commemorate the devil attempting to tempt Jesus during his 40 day fast in the desert and is the lead up to the Easter holiday.

Lent is commonly preceded by Fat Tuesday which is where the Mardi Gras tradition came from, the purpose of which was to have your last bit of fun before the traditional fasting/denial that is associated with Lent. Due to Fat Tuesday being criticized for excess some protestant reformers weren't fans of it or Lent in general. I am in favor of anything that will get back to stop and think about the plight of the less fortunate and remind them of what they actually have. Traditions like Ramadan and Lent could do that if appropriately applied.

Edited by Darth Bane
  • Brohoof 2

I'm not religious at all, but I highly respect what you are doing. It's great to see more diversity on this forum as well ^^

Personally, where I live there is a lot of racism generally towards Muslims, and I hate it. I hate how people think it's their right to just blindly state how Muslims should 'go back home' or something along those lines. I know it comes into a 'freedom of speech' argument but then when people are just generally insulting a religion and race, then it's awful.

Anyway, have a good Ramadan everypony involved  :)

• Brohoof 1

I'm not religious at all, but I highly respect what you are doing. It's great to see more diversity on this forum as well ^^

Personally, where I live there is a lot of racism generally towards Muslims, and I hate it. I hate how people think it's their right to just blindly state how Muslims should 'go back home' or something along those lines. I know it comes into a 'freedom of speech' argument but then when people are just generally insulting a religion and race, then it's awful.

Anyway, have a good Ramadan everypony involved :)

I think there is a lot of racism involving Muslims. The most prone racism I observed even though I am not a Muslim are so called Right-Winged racist groups such as the Aussie Brotherhood and the Australian Defence League. Those groups are so racist that it is causing many Muslims to be depressed. But however I would like to say Happy Ramadan to all of the Muslims out there who are peaceful to other people no matter their religion or race.
  • Brohoof 1