Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Review my Pony OC!

Odyssey

So in an effort to improve, I was wondering if anybody here wants to review my pony OC/fancharacter, Paint Brush. Tell me what you think about her name/backstory/design/whatever and tell me what I can improve on. Don't be afraid to be harsh about my OC either. I love all kinds of constructive criticism, whether it be negative or positive. Feel free to rate her with grades or whatnot as well.

Here's her bio. Go nuts. https://charahub.com/character/477226/Paint-Brush/public/

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 1

She seems like a really sweet character. Reading through her personality and backstory put a little smile on my face. 

The only thing I could complain about, however, is the choice of mane/tail color. I think it's too much of a contrast to her otherwise bright color palette. You could probably add a bit more saturation to it, or just change it to a lighter brown.

• 3 weeks later...

She seems like a really sweet character. Reading through her personality and backstory put a little smile on my face. 

The only thing I could complain about, however, is the choice of mane/tail color. I think it's too much of a contrast to her otherwise bright color palette. You could probably add a bit more saturation to it, or just change it to a lighter brown.

I think it's perfect, it reminds me of a real paintbrush.

• 4 weeks later...

I think she's cute! I love her cutie mark & she has a really unique mane style (in a good way) plus you wrote everything down really easy to understand, I wouldn't change her a bit! :icwudt:

The character's appearance is perfectly fitting and her full name is a good choice, however, I don't think it's very natural to call her "Paint" or "Painty" as a nickname. Her name's only two syllables; just call her by her full name. This will add authenticity (Hasbro uses full names wherever possible in order to preserve trademark integrity.)

What interests me the most about this character is that her choice of personality traits subtly hints to a mild form of Asperger's, which gives her a worldly appeal and makes the character a bit more believable. At the same time, there's not so much of a focus on this that it would cause her to become a caricature or potentially insulting parody. I don't know if you've modeled her on this intentionally but I find the balance to be done very well, at least on paper (it's much more important how she behaves in the actual story!)

Her feelings about her artwork are 100% accurate, and I'm pretty sure every single artist can relate to her predicament.

It's nice to see that she has some self-awareness and doesn't bounce back and forth between complete success and failure; you've successfully avoided making the character a Mary Sue.

I must strongly disagree. You can't have "too much contrast" in a cartoon character, especially My Little Pony. Perhaps the mane could be a bit more saturated (a little more red I think) but, to me, she looks fine as-is.