Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

More contests

Chara

So after seeing contests like Buffy's cutiemark and that fanfiction contest about a month or two ago I was wondering if the MLP Forums should have those more frequently like music, animation, writing, art, and contests like that. It would really keep a good chunk of the users occupied. It was that and I was wondering if there was a possibility we could make a forum so that normal users can post little contests of their own. The prizes don't even need to really need to cost anything because we can have prizes like user icons and that.

Edited by Zach
  • Brohoof 4

We actually do have a recurring art contest. Two if you count banner contests (though I did postpone both for this month for several reasons).

Poniverse just ran a giveaway and ... well ... stay tuned guys. Something huge is right around the corner. ;)

• Brohoof 4

What if there were appointed groups to do the judging and putting them up for voting? for each section that wants to have contests that is. 

Stagger them if need be to keep the forums at full capacity all the time. and maybe not every month, maybe every other month, it gives the users a chance to show off their fancy user icon for a bit. 

Have the sectional officers be the main go to for the groups for each designated contest, fan art, writing, music, and non-pony art, writing, music, etc. 

Have volunteers for those who will be the non bias judges and they can be the ones who come up with what the theme will be. it wouldn't be a huge staff decision so it would save them time and work. 

I know I have been looking for new art contests, I know we just had the cutie mark contest but when there is a larger prize those types are stressful to enter. If we are offering something a bit smaller I think it would put less pressure on those who which to compete. People didn't compete in the last art contest because they didn't think they would be good enough to win credits and such. but this would allow those people to push down those walls and put their work out there. 

I also feel that there should be much more anonymity when it comes to voting. Even for the group of judges. There should be one person who receives all of the entries, they place them in a anonymous state and the rest of the group votes on their top 10 or top 5 and then it is taken to the rest of the forums. Also staying anonymous and then when the winner(s) are chosen then they can be recognized. 

Just a thought. :) I am not sure how many sectional officers there are so this might be too much to take on, but maybe something along the lines. 

thanks for readin. :) 

MLPF does have an art contest and a banner design contest. Both use anonymous voting. The art contest has a five person panel that selects the top five entries using an anonymous system as well. Poniverse hosts several writing contests throughout the year as well.

I actually would not put resources on Non Pony centric art. Sorry, we are a Pony forum and there are substantially more outlets for non Pony art so we will focus on Pony only.

The one difficulty with a music and animation contest involves the time it takes to complete a piece. You are talking about a two to six month entry window. The ironic part about that is that we had not one but four art contests in that same timeframe but it appears that they were all but forgotten about in a months time (Check out the Throne Room). That concerns me that apathy or forgetfulness may hinder long running contests.

There is a reason you see 'awards' more than contests in these mediums.

As far as prizes, financial prizes are extremely rare ... future contests will likely center around things that don't cost money as they have in the past.

• Brohoof 1