Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do dragons eat gems?

ggg-2

I've certainly heard stories of dragons protecting gems as treasure, but never came across anything about them consuming gems as food. So i think the folklore idea is out.

• Brohoof 1

I've been wondering where that idea came from as well!

It could be a folklore thing, I guess? I'm no folklore expert, but I'm pretty certain that the idea didn't originate from the Slavic folklore. Dragons are pretty common in Central/East European legends but I've never heard a story about a gem eating dragon... They usually hunt sheep and virgins, that kind of stuff.

...and your thread reminds me of that one tumblr dragonkin nut. It would be quite ironic if they based their entire dragonkin theory on a single dragon character from the My Little Pony series. X'D

post-14850-0-61066400-1461068639_thumb.jpg

Methinks it is simply because they can. Dragons apparently have a strong bite and teeth to match, so I have a feeling that gem stones are like candy to them. The only pony I know of that is on their level potentially is Maud, who apparently finds rocks to be tasty as well. She could be the key to the mystery! 

One of the things I read that dragons eat gems is to help in their stomach digestion process and also the metals have things they need for their scales and teeth and etc.