Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Finally caught up

SawmillTurtle

Hello, everypony. I doubt most of you remember me. I was here about a year ago determined to join the herd. I ran an unpopular blog called "Journey to Equestria" which chronicled my journey from brony hater to brony. It's been a long time. Life got busy, life got hectic, blah, blah, blah. Shut up, Meg.

Anyway, here it is a year later and I am finally caught up with the entire series. My favorite episode by far, I think, is "Magical Mystery Cure" from the end of season 3. I simply love the music in that episode, from "Life in Ponyville" to "True, True Friend;" they're all really fantastic. I hear through other bronies that they were talking about ending the series in Season 3, and if they had, that would have been an excellent way to finish it.

I love almost everything about this show, from the music to the characters and the humor. I've yet to meet a person who isn't amused by Vinyl Scratch.

What I haven't liked about the series is the Mary Sue nature of Twilight Sparkle. Sincerely. Every time you think she may have a flaw, it gets turned into yet another shiny gem of perfection for her. For instance:

1. Twilight Sparkle couldn't muster enough magic to pass her entrance exam until Rainbow Dash caused the sonic rainboom. Suddenly, she's Pony Potter and is selected as Celestia's personal student.

2. Twilight Sparkle enchants her doll and bewitches the town because there aren't any problems for her to solve, thus she creates one. After Celestia shows up to put the hammer down, all her friends take the blame for it and claim that it was their fault for not listening to her. What? No, it wasn't. Don't say that. It was her fault for being nuts.

3. Ponyville has never been on time for spring until Twilight Sparkle, who was essentially worthless five minutes earlier, steps in and starts commanding things like an army general.

4. Who saves Shining Armor's wedding and, by extension, all of Equestria? Twilight Sparkle.

5. Who figures out how to defeat Discord? Twilight Sparkle.

6. Let's not forget the scene in "Magical Mystery Cure" where it looks as though her friends have blasted her into a crater, but then-- WHOOPS! She's a princess.

7. Who defeats Tirek?

8. Who gets her own castle?

9. Who chases that crazy cult leader through time at the end of Season 5 and essentially saves the universe?

This list is hardly exhaustive, believe it or not. I could go on for pages, but tl;dr prohibits me from doing so. Has anyone else noticed this? When things change in season 5 and her magic table starts sending everyone but her to solve friendship problems, she gets all emo about it. Suck it up, Seabiscuit. You don't have to be the center of attention all the time.

Edited by SawmillTurtle

7. Who defeats Tirek?

The mane six. They needed six keys to open the box and get all of their rainbow power forms.

Edited by Marimo
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

The mane six. They needed six keys to open the box and get the rainbow power forms.

True, but who figured it out that they needed the keys to unlock their Super Saiyan forms? XD

Edited by SawmillTurtle

True, but who figured it out that they needed the keys to unlock their Super Saiyan forms? XD

Discord. He was the one who brought up the chest and the journal, basically leaving breadcrumbs to figure it out. Even then, they didn't think it would unleash super powerful forms that could be used to stop a threat.

And after the stuff with the chest in the first part, it's not brought up again until Applejack suggests that the necklace Discord gives Twilight could be the final key.

Edited by Marimo
  • Brohoof 2

Discord. He was the one who brought up the chest and the journal, basically leaving breadcrumbs to figure it out. Even then, they didn't think it would unleash super powerful forms that could be used to stop a threat.

And after the stuff with the chest in the first part, it's not brought up again until Applejack suggests that the necklace Discord gives Twilight could be the final key.

Fair enough. I guess I don't remember that episode as well as I thought. Point conceded.

have you seen the actual, not a shitty redub version of Derpy in The Last Roundup?

The Slice of Life version is superior to all others, but I loved and miss this version too.

Well, I can certainly see why some people would have found that offensive. It wasn't meant to be mean, I know. It's all good, clean slapstick comedy, but people are a wee bit too sensitive these days. I had considered making a video after reading a criticism of the show from some witch at the magazine Ms., who felt that the show is racist and insensitive. She claimed that Rainbow Dash made all feminists look like butch lesbians and all ponies of color were subservient to their "white pony overlord" (Celestia). I'd considered mocking her by having Celestia beat Luna with a whip in a parody of Roots.

"Your name is Luna!"

*whip*

"Nightmare Moon!"

"Luna!"

*whip*

"Nightmare Moon!"

But I came to the conclusion that it might be deemed offensive in a world where no one has a sense of humor.

Well, I can certainly see why some people would have found that offensive. It wasn't meant to be mean, I know. It's all good, clean slapstick comedy, but people are a wee bit too sensitive these days. I had considered making a video after reading a criticism of the show from some witch at the magazine Ms., who felt that the show is racist and insensitive. She claimed that Rainbow Dash made all feminists look like butch lesbians and all ponies of color were subservient to their "white pony overlord" (Celestia). I'd considered mocking her by having Celestia beat Luna with a whip in a parody of Roots.

"Your name is Luna!"

*whip*

"Nightmare Moon!"

"Luna!"

*whip*

"Nightmare Moon!"

But I came to the conclusion that it might be deemed offensive in a world where no one has a sense of humor.

Lauren Faust destroyed that hackjob of an article.

• Brohoof 1