Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Extra rank

Hierok

In the topic of @Rikifive I stated that this site could easily fit in another rank. I was thinking of this:

• 1200 > 1500 - Griffon
  • 1500 > 2000 - Changeling
  • 2000 > 3000 - Pony

I was thinking of this because in the whole pony rank you have to make the same number of post as before the pony rank. :twi: I thought, maybe the staff would see the point and give the griffons a rank. Do with it what you thinknis best.

I've always been in support of changing the ranks like Butterfly and Squirrel to something more MLP focused. 

It would also be cool to add Zebra, Reformed Changeling, and a rank for 10k. Elements of Harmony maybe ;)

• Brohoof 4

21 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I've always been in support of changing the ranks like Butterfly and Squirrel to something more MLP focused. 

It would also be cool to add Zebra, Reformed Changeling, and a rank for 10k. Elements of Harmony maybe ;)

I was thinking of 12000+ Draconeques, but Zebra was also an option before pony. Hear me out (if you want :twi:).

Spoiler
  • 0 - Blankflank
  • 10 - Muffin
  • 50 - Cupcake
  • 100 - Parasprite
  • 200 - Butterfly
  • 300 - Squirrel
  • 400 - Bunny
  • 600 - Bird
  • 800 - Phoenix
  • 1000 - Dragon
  • 1200 - Griffon
  • 1500 - Changeling
  • 2000 - Zebra
  • 3000 - Earth Pony
  • 5000 - Crystal Pony
  • 7000 - Pegasus
  • 10000 - Unicorn
  • 12000 - Draconequus.

imageproxy.png

Edited by Hierok
  • Brohoof 1

46 minutes ago, Hierok said:

I was thinking of 12000+ Draconeques, but Zebra was also an option before pony. Hear me out (if you want

Moving people down a rank usually has some get upset. It's not me that needs to hear you out. :P

I've been part of long winded conversations regarding rank changes since 2014. Ain't nothing new in this that hasn't been talked about before behind closed doors and in this very forum openly. What normally killed it was character or species bias regarding a top level ... and that tends to torpedo discussion. It's part of the reason I put forth the EoH idea wayyyy back in the day. It is mostly character/species agnostic by being a symbol. The other option was to use the Equestrian Standard. 

11 hours ago, Jeric said:

Moving people down a rank usually has some get upset. It's not me that needs to hear you out. :P

I've been part of long winded conversations regarding rank changes since 2014. Ain't nothing new in this that hasn't been talked about before behind closed doors and in this very forum openly. What normally killed it was character or species bias regarding a top level ... and that tends to torpedo discussion. It's part of the reason I put forth the EoH idea wayyyy back in the day. It is mostly character/species agnostic by being a symbol. The other option was to use the Equestrian Standard. 

But if Zebra became the rank from 1500 - 2000 and dracpnequus from 10000, there wouldn't be anyone going a rank down right?

39 minutes ago, Hierok said:

But if Zebra became the rank from 1500 - 2000 and dracpnequus from 10000, there wouldn't be anyone going a rank down right?

Check unicorn and pegasus. Currently 7000 unlocks Unicorn. You proposal has 7000 unlock Pegasus. If someone is at 7500 and is currently a Unicorn, they would drop to Pegasus. This actually happened when the upgrade reindexed some posts and post count dropped. People went down ranks. When they realized it, there were annoyed posts and status updates. Staff should account for that. They would also have to account for people who would feel that they are missing out on new rank badges that they can't achieve because they have already past that threshold. Imagine if they put the draconequus 1000 and something else at 1500. More on that in a sec. 

This is why these threads are important, so that way possible 'gotchas' can be put forth that the staff and other members may not be aware of. 

My other point, (and I was trying to be subtle about it but I'll just state it outright), is that you just fell into the same trap everyone else who pushed for this did. You said you wanted your favorite character's species and the top badge. Character/race bias raises suspicion, and usually gets seen as bad form. It literally killed every single attempt at changing ranks because more than one person is doing that. I'm not even close to kidding. I have no horse in the race since I post 100% on my phone so I don't even see the ranks. I'm also one who favors going for iconography that will avoid that landmine. 

Honestly, if staff did want to alter ranks, I'm definitely in favor  of it. the first step would be to have a graphic artist that can either replicate the old style, or do a full redesign. After that, the best bet ... the fairest bet ... and the most fun ... would be to make an event out of it. Create series of polls on what the changes should be. Let the entire community vote. Heck allow submissions on design prototypes. We did something like that for the MLPF Mascot. Anyway, that is a cool way to have some community engagement and keep the site fresh. 

If we had a full time developer I could even see about tossing some ideas that would have the top badge actually be slightly personalized depending on elements in your profile. 

12 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Check unicorn and pegasus. Currently 7000 unlocks Unicorn. You proposal has 7000 unlock Pegasus. If someone is at 7500 and is currently a Unicorn, they would drop to Pegasus. This actually happened when the upgrade reindexed some posts and post count dropped. People went down ranks. When they realized it, there were annoyed posts and status updates. Staff should account for that. They would also have to account for people who would feel that they are missing out on new rank badges that they can't achieve because they have already past that threshold. Imagine if they put the draconequus 1000 and something else at 1500. More on that in a sec. 

This is why these threads are important, so that way possible 'gotchas' can be put forth that the staff and other members may not be aware of. 

My other point, (and I was trying to be subtle about it but I'll just state it outright), is that you just fell into the same trap everyone else who pushed for this did. You said you wanted your favorite character's species and the top badge. Character/race bias raises suspicion, and usually gets seen as bad form. It literally killed every single attempt at changing ranks because more than one person is doing that. I'm not even close to kidding. I have no horse in the race since I post 100% on my phone so I don't even see the ranks. I'm also one who favors going for iconography that will avoid that landmine. 

Honestly, if staff did want to alter ranks, I'm definitely in favor  of it. the first step would be to have a graphic artist that can either replicate the old style, or do a full redesign. After that, the best bet ... the fairest bet ... and the most fun ... would be to make an event out of it. Create series of polls on what the changes should be. Let the entire community vote. Heck allow submissions on design prototypes. We did something like that for the MLPF Mascot. Anyway, that is a cool way to have some community engagement and keep the site fresh. 

If we had a full time developer I could even see about tossing some ideas that would have the top badge actually be slightly personalized depending on elements in your profile. 

The reason I choose Draconequus was that it has the best magic of all. A zebra on the top spot wouldn't make sense. I agree with you there should be add some more ranks and that people are free to vote for it. 

Another idea is making another rank at 15000, which is the Elements of Harmony, or Rainbow power. That way people shouldn't have to argue. :orly:

• 0 - Blankflank
  • 10 - Muffin
  • 50 - Cupcake
  • 100 - Parasprite
  • 200 - Butterfly
  • 300 - Squirrel
  • 400 - Bunny
  • 600 - Bird
  • 800 - Phoenix
  • 1000 - Dragon
  • 1200 - Griffon
  • 1500 - Changeling
  • 2000 - Zebra
  • 3000 - Earth Pony
  • 4000 - Crystal Pony
  • 5000 - Pegasus
  • 7000 - Unicorn
  • 10000 - Draconequus
  • 15000 - Elements of Harmony

Or

• 0 - Blankflank
  • 10 - Muffin
  • 50 - Cupcake
  • 100 - Parasprite
  • 200 - Butterfly
  • 300 - Squirrel
  • 400 - Bunny
  • 600 - Bird
  • 800 - Phoenix
  • 1000 - Dragon
  • 1200 - Griffon
  • 1500 - Changeling
  • 2000 - Zebra
  • 3000 - Earth Pony
  • 4000 - Crystal Pony
  • 5000 - Pegasus
  • 7000 - Unicorn
  • 9000 - Draconequus
  • 12000 - Elements of Harmony
  • 15000 - Rainbow Power
Edited by Hierok

On 9/29/2017 at 1:44 PM, Jeric said:

Says the fellow who is one post away from 10k. :P

I wouldn't be in favor of bumping Muffin up to ten posts: that could discourage newer members who were trying to get out of the Blank Flank group. Five posts is a nice, easily attainable number for newcomers.

• Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, Yellow Diamond said:

Says the fellow who is one post away from 10k. :P

I wouldn't be in favor of bumping Muffin up to ten posts: that could discourage newer members who were trying to get out of the Blank Flank group. Five posts is a nice, easily attainable number for newcomers.

I agree bumping to 10 may work.

Wait. 10K! 

I think it is fitting to have that in this topic of all topics. Seems fitting for so many other reasons. Here we are two former Admins talking about stuff like ranks and badges in the Feedback forum ... just like old times you with characteristic humor and me with with pluck and suggestions. 

Of course, at least for me, now feels a lot like then ... Rarity can explain ... 

cfb.jpg

Postception! 10,000 posts ... on this day .. in this area of MLPF ... in a thread talking about post count ... closing with Rarity.

Fabulosity achieved. :D

• Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, Jeric said:

I agree bumping to 10 may work.

Wait. 10K! 

I think it is fitting to have that in this topic of all topics. Seems fitting for so many other reasons. Here we are two former Admins talking about stuff like ranks and badges in the Feedback forum ... just like old times you with characteristic humor and me with with pluck and suggestions. 

Of course, at least for me, now feels a lot like then ... Rarity can explain ... 

cfb.jpg

Postception! 10,000 posts ... on this day .. in this area of MLPF ... in a thread talking about post count ... closing with Rarity.

Fabulosity achieved. :D

Thank me later for starting this threat. :P