The term "In Person"

Lord Pretty Pie

While I'm not sure if this is the correct category for it, I could not find a more reasonable location. I just wanted to know how, in the show, they would go about using the term "In Person". "In Pony" Doesn't sound right, and they cant just not change it, because what the hay is a person? So... Yeah.

"Hater's hate did create, that which they all feared. It is they we have to thank, for it is us they engineered."~ Me
"Eventually!"~ Also Me

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being 'grown up', to admire the 'grown up' because it is 'grown up', to blush at the suspicion of being childish; These are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be 'Very Grown Up'."~ C.S. Lewis

instead of "in person" they can use "first hand" but instead of "first hand" it would have to be "first hoof"

• Brohoof 1

ICeIx2X.jpg
MLP Forums' resident timelord, sports dilettante, and purveyor of wit and humor
~*Traveling Timelord Nonpareil*~

Hmm... Maybe. Perhaps "In the flesh"... But that phrase has always seemed a bit morbid to me. You know, as opposed to meeting someone out of their flesh? :blink:

• Brohoof 1

"Hater's hate did create, that which they all feared. It is they we have to thank, for it is us they engineered."~ Me
"Eventually!"~ Also Me

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being 'grown up', to admire the 'grown up' because it is 'grown up', to blush at the suspicion of being childish; These are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be 'Very Grown Up'."~ C.S. Lewis

I think "person", along with "people", etc., are normal terms in all fictitious universes. I've seen it used normally, and I think it's a normal legit term. So in all cases, I think that's fine.

The only thing I see normal in the world is "-pony" terms such as "everypony", "anypony", "nopony", etc.

35be43d3544e00464ab762328fec3924_zpsd620432b.jpg

My journey in the fandom started on April 5, 2012. I joined here on April 24, 2012. Where that journey is headed now, who knows...

Hmm... Maybe. Perhaps "In the flesh"... But that phrase has always seemed a bit morbid to me. You know, as opposed to meeting someone out of their flesh? :blink:

That made me laugh out loud for some reason xD

Yeh

Want to know how to get more page views? Click here.

I wouldn't think the term "in person" comes up a lot in Equestria, communication seems fairly limited, either you meet face to face or you write a letter so maybe they just entirely avoid saying it or it's even possible that their language never developed a need for the term.

I never care about this insignificant wording stuff :blink:

I HAD TO FALL TO LOSE IT ALL BUT IN THE END IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER /WRISTS

On 4/28/2013 at 8:13 PM, gooM said:
Djenty...man you are crazy, but an awesome sort of crazy

(edited)

I don't think that "person" or "people" necessarily mean "human". I think that any being that is intelligent enough to function in our society could be called a person. Of course, in the real world, the term only applies to humans because we're the only species with this level of intelligence, but in the show the ponies are pretty much on the same level of intelligence as we are so I think they would qualify as "people".

According to Descarte, "the term "person" may designate any human (or non-human) agent which: (1) possesses continuous consciousness over time; and (2) who is therefore capable of framing representations about the world, formulating plans and acting on them."

(from wikipedia)

So yes, I think that ponies can technically be called people.

Edited by Marshmallow
  • Brohoof 1

Well, how about "in the presence of"? Although, that does seem a little too long, and a bit too smart. I guess it depends on your definition of "smart".

v7simv.jpg

Signature by me

Can't find anybody better than Zoidberg? Why not Rainbow Dash?

I've always liked the idea that there was "everypony" and "everyone" in Equestria. While "everypony" would be used most of the time, saying that in front of a griffin would be considered rude.

So maybe Equestria never really developed a need to say "in-person." So when they do need to use it, they say "in-person" because it's all there is. At least, that's how I look at it.

"Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven." Luke 6:37

"In the beginning, God created the heavens, the Earth, and Octavia, who is best pony." Genesis 1:1