Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Wonder Woman 1984 will debut in Theaters AND HBO Max on Christmas Day

SaburoDaimando

So unless you've been under a rock, the internet is flooding with news that Patty Jenkin's Wonder Woman sequel will be in theaters.  But for those who are still worried about the Coronavirus, worry not.  The movie will also hit HBO Max on the same day: Christmas.

“Wonder Woman 1984” is heading to HBO Max and U.S. movie theaters on the same day. Warner Bros., the studio behind the superhero sequel, announced plans to release the blockbuster simultaneously on the big screen and the subscription-based streaming platform on Dec. 25.

Internationally, where HBO Max is not available, “Wonder Woman 1984” will open in Dec. 16. The film will be available for a month on HBO Max in the U.S. included at no additional cost to subscribers.

“As we navigate these unprecedented times, we’ve had to be innovative in keeping our businesses moving forward while continuing to super-serve our fans,” said Ann Sarnoff, chair and CEO of WarnerMedia Studios and Networks Group, which includes Warner Bros. Pictures. “This is an amazing film that really comes to life on the big screen and, working with our partners in the exhibition community, we will provide that option to consumers in the U.S. where theaters are open. We realize that a lot of consumers can’t go back to the movies due to the pandemic, so we also want to give them the option to see Wonder Woman 1984 via our HBO Max platform.”

The unconventional release plan comes as 50% of U.S. theaters are closed, including major moviegoing markets like New York and Los Angeles, and many still hesitant to go to the movies.

“We appreciate how patient audiences have been and given the great anticipation around ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ we are grateful to be able to make this terrifically entertaining movie widely available in these challenging times,” said Toby Emmerich, chairman of Warner Bros. Pictures Group.

Though surprising, it’s not unprecedented for a major movie to debut simultaneously on home entertainment and in movie theaters. Universal Pictures opened “Trolls World Tour” on premium video-on-demand in April, when most cinemas were shuttered due to the pandemic.

You can read more about it at https://variety.com/2020/film/news/wonder-woman-1984-hbo-max-release-1234804411/

That being said, this makes me wonder if the same thing should happen to the upcoming Tom and Jerry Movie, Space Jam: A New Legacy and even the upcoming 2021 release of the My Little Pony movie as well.  I know it's not the big screen, and that's an experience I am going to miss out on.  But if it means more Americans get to watch the movie in question(Scoob saw great success with releasing on HBO Max as opposed to theaters), then I'm all for it.