Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opossums

Fluttershutter

When I was a kid I saw one somebody had trapped. It was growling and showing it's teeth so ferociously that I've always thought they were aggressive and dangerous. Well obviously it didn't like being in a cage but I was just a little kid. But lately they've become one of my favorite animals. They show their teeth and growl but they almost never bite. And they rarely carry rabies because they have a low body temperature. Youtube keeps showing me opossum videos and I keep watching them. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

The first time I recall seeing one, I thought it was a giant rat and was worries for my dog who was trying to play with it, much to its annoyance. It'd be nice to have more opportunities to observe them naturally without causing a mutual disturbance.

6 hours ago, SharpWit said:

The first time I recall seeing one, I thought it was a giant rat and was worries for my dog who was trying to play with it, much to its annoyance. It'd be nice to have more opportunities to observe them naturally without causing a mutual disturbance.

My dog wanted to play with one once too. To see them more you need to walk around at night.

I think they’re adorable. They have cute, soft faces that remind me of Mrs. Brisby from Secret of NIMH. I watched one amble through the yard at night once with my brother’s night vision monoculars and it was so quiet the way it tiptoed around leaves and sticks rather than crashing through everything. They seem to be very peaceful little things and I’ve never seen them being aggressive. They eat the street pizza and other dead things but I’ve never known them to attack or kill anything. They don’t seem to be the sharpest animals in the world because they never even flinch when I’m driving along and they’re in the middle of the road. They just stand there and let me go around them once they feel like moving aside. I’ve gotta like ‘em.

On 1/2/2021 at 12:37 AM, Dreambiscuit said:

They don’t seem to be the sharpest animals in the world because they never even flinch when I’m driving along and they’re in the middle of the road. They just stand there and let me go around them once they feel like moving aside. I’ve gotta like ‘em.

I don't think they're really built for speed. They use stealth and stand still or play dead when they feel threatened. Must work for them.

• Brohoof 1

I love opossums. They are such cuties! It makes me sad that they have such an undeserved negative reputation.

I got to meet one at a wildlife sanctuary before!

6983A3C7-D1CF-4D3B-90A9-EF2F80EA2710.jpeg

• Brohoof 2