Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Did Nothing Wrong.

TheUnknownPhantom5

(edited)

Overview
I want to talk about Twilight's actions of trying to steal the Pearl of Seaquestria in My Little Pony the Movie, as well as her behavior in general. Quite a few people have been quick to say that she was in the wrong, or that she was being a bad friend in the movie. However I'm here to tell you that Twilight Sparkle did absoutley nothing wrong.

Twilight's Stress
First let's go over what let up to Twilight trying to steal the pearl. Equestria was holding it's first Festeival of Friendship which Twilight was in charge of putting together, and making sure everything went well. We even see in the beginning that she was already pretty stressed out.

Then things go wrong when the Storm King's army appears with Tempest, and turns Celestia, Luna, and Cadance to stone forcing Twilight, and her friends to go on a perilous adventure to find the Hippogriffs in order to save Equestria.

Her Friends Behavior
I'm sorry to say this, but really it was the other members of the mane six who weren't really being good friends to Twilight. Pinkie Pie really wasn't taking their adventure seriously despite the situation Equestria was in, and when Twilight told her not to draw attention to them in that town Pinkie Pie flat out ignored her. Then we have Rainbow Dash performing that Sonic Rainboom which caused them to be spotted by Tempest.

Morals
After everything Twilight went through in the movie, and if you really put youself in her shoes or hooves in this case, I'm sure alot of us would have probably done the same thing Twilight did. My Little Pony is great at showing morals in situatons. If we look at Twilight stealing the pearl from a moral persepective then yes it was morally the wrong thing to do as that pearl was very important to the hippogriffs/seaponies. But then let's look at the situation Equestria was in. Everyone appart from the Mane Six was imprisoned, The Storm King was about to have full control, and Twilight really had no idea if the seaponies would have helped them, and she had to think about the safety of Equestria, as that was the most important thing at the moment, not friendship, not morals, and not singing, and dancing. Equestria's safety was Twilight's main priorty, and should have been everypony else's priorty.

Similatteres with another Character.
Infact with what I said Twilight is very similar to another complext character, Eren Yeager. Twilight stealing the pearl is the equalvelant to Eren actvating the Rumbling. Now your probably thinking to yourself how is Twilight stealing a pearl in anyway similar to Eren killing billions of innocent people, and the answer is once again morallity. Eren knows that in a moral standpoint the Rumbling is the wrong thing to do, he tries desperately to find another option, even breaks down and cries when he realizes that he had no other option. The Rumbling is morally the wrong thing to do, but it was truly the only way the people of Paradis Island could survive. It's the same situation Twilight was in. Morally what she did was wrong, but at that point it really was the only option to save Equestria.

Conclusion
So in the end, while yes Twilight shouldn't have tried to steal the pearl, at that point she really had no other options because Equestria's fate was at stack. And tell me what would you do if your home was in danger would you waste your time making friends with everyone you meet, or would you do whatever it takes to protect your home even if it is morally the wrong thing to do?

Edited by TheUnknownPhantom5
  • Brohoof 5

I can’t fully remember if this movie is connected to the brand Friendship is Magic, which Hasbro tried to move away from after they did Equestria Girls. But if it is, it is definitely failing on the friendship lesson part.

Twilight’s mistake is acting out of desperation. You might do that in a war situation, where your home is being attacked. But in doing so, she is just creating a new war with the sea ponies. She’s doing what the Storm King would do, taking something without permission (stealing).

Did her friends do anything wrong in being who they are? Like Rainbow Dash making the Sonic Rainboom? Or being Pinkie Pie-crazy? It was their diversity that was their strongest side in the FIM show.

The movie keeps putting Twilight into the difficult situations, but the way she was written did not portray her right:
The moment Rainbow Dash is about to sing for the evil pirates, Twilight yells to her to not do a song, and Rainbow isn’t listening to that, sings, and proves it to be the correct decision. Later, singing for the sea ponies was also the correct decision. But Twilight was not singing, she didn’t even try to follow the working solution. It comes off as Twilight not trusting her friends to make decisions about friendship. And this is not even about stealing a pearl!

Leadership is all about making difficult and hard decisions. I wouldn’t be mad at Twilight for making mistakes if she wasn’t a Princess of Friendship, a role she earned for solving a magic spell, and then totally failed in the next few seasons of FIM and then culminating in the movie of epic proportions.

This is a show/movie writer failure. Twilight is redeemed for her mistakes because her friends are really good friends.

There are better writers of the show, who really gets it. Watch Equestria Girls Forgotten Friendship where Sunset Shimmer is being pushed to the limit, and where friendship is done right.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Excellent breakdown. :fluttershy: Now do one for how Twilight did nothing wrong in creating the Unity Crystals. :nom:

Yeah, I never got the controversy over Twilight doing what she did in the movie. Not just because of the carefree way her friends were acting despite the fact that the fate of the world was at stake, more because it's like you say at the end, guys...what would you have done? If you're the kind of person who would lie to keep someone you love out of trouble, you're the kind of person who would steal to save the world:maud:

Edited by CloudMistDragon
  • Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Unity Crystals

Unity Crystals… Unity Crystals…

Oh, G5! What a mess. Why can’t the writers of the show just sit down, and be friends, agree on the plot, and not mess up our ponies! :scoots:

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Splashee said:

Unity Crystals… Unity Crystals…

Oh, G5! What a mess. Why can’t the writers of the show just sit down, and be friends, agree on the plot, and not mess up our ponies! :scoots:

Because they didn't mess up our ponies with the Unity Crystals. Twilight made them to save Equestria from Opaline and every pony still had their magic before they chose to split apart. 

G5ComicPanel.jpg.b168f969d6af102199f6aff67c949766.jpg

Straight from Issue #2 of the G5 comic explaining the creation of the Unity Crystals. 

• 2 weeks later...