Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do unicorns typically have larger hooves than the other races in TYT?

UlyssesZhan

I went to take a look after I read this and you are right! Unicorns do seem to have bigger hooves than most of the other races. Though Hitch does have the same size of hooves as Izzy and Misty. I looked around a bit and the standard seems to be that;
pegasi have the smallest hooves, both mares and stallions. With some exceptions like Zoom Zephyrwing, a pegasus mare with slightly bigger hooves. 
Most earth ponies mares have small hooves like Sunny while stallions mostly have bigger hooves like Hitch does, with exceptions like Delightful Trifle and Dahlia earth pony mares with bigger hooves.
And indeed most unicorns have bigger hooves than a typical pegasus or earth pony mare, and while trying to look for an exception I really couldn't find it! (so if someone does know then I would love to see it).

I would imagine that pegasi have smaller hooves because they are generally smaller to be able to fly, their hooves would fit that way. Earth ponies have both big and small hooves maybe to just fit their talent or personality. I think maybe Unicorns have bigger hooves because they generally are bigger/taller and it would make sense that their hooves need to support that. Maybe also that unicorns tend to take on a specific stance when using powerful magic (will add a visual example) and their hooves might be needed for more balance and sturdiness!
So that is my guess but I really don't know if there was much thought behind the hoof designs in TYT other than diversity!

full.png

Edited by rainbowfirestorm
  • Brohoof 1

Interesting explanations!

I thought earth ponies need the largest hooves because they do more physical work like farming, and unicorns should have the smallest because they do not have to use hooves to hold or operate things to work.

I don't think unicorns need sturdiness for using powerful magic because there is about only one in a thousand unicorns (if not less) with powerful magic (there is none in G5, and there is only Twilight, Starlight, and Star Swirl in G4).

• Brohoof 1