Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Root of G5 Negativity

Misty Shadow

In other words, a big and sudden surge of G5 negativity , but hardly new within the fandom. Thanks for the reminder, there was really similar negativity within the fandom even in its peak. I remember a particularly obnoxious user which constantly bashed Starlight Glimmer just because :scoots:

• Brohoof 3

I 100% agree with your essay, it pretty much completely summarizes how I feel about the negativity towards G5.

Imagine that G6 comes out, people are disappointed by it, and a multitude of fans who hated G5 start praising aspects about G5 to trash it. Then, people who always liked G5 start making videos lauding the series and going into great detail about why the things G5 has done well are so good, encouraging more and more people to start holding G5 in high regard.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if this happens. It happens every time a new Pokémon game comes out in that community, for example. People talk about how they dislike this new game, say the old one was better because XYZ reasons. Usually it’s with the last 2 games that released. So when a new game comes out the cycle just rinses and repeats. Like you said, it’s the usual fandom cycle bs.

• Delighted Giggle 1

5 hours ago, Misty Shadow said:

I did an essay on what I believe G5 negativity is rooted in. 

https://www.deviantart.com/mistybrightshadow/art/The-Root-of-G5-Negativity-MLP-Essay-1001126731

I think that the source of it runs much deeper than you would expect. 

I'm not into long posts but miraculously i read it all... 

I like how you've written it.

Possibility of what you just said? Maybe?

Disappointed? Definitely.

But you gave it a weak reason as to say because thats the trend and made it like its okay thats how it is?

But gen 5 is just that bad.

The execution of the story... Ehhhk.

Im actually planning on changing my fandom to Hilda. Now that series is beautiful.

1 hour ago, Iforgotmybrain said:

I 100% agree with your essay, it pretty much completely summarizes how I feel about the negativity towards G5.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if this happens. It happens every time a new Pokémon game comes out in that community, for example. People talk about how they dislike this new game, say the old one was better because XYZ reasons. Usually it’s with the last 2 games that released. So when a new game comes out the cycle just rinses and repeats. Like you said, it’s the usual fandom cycle bs.

If gen 6 came out....if its worse than gen 5 then maybe? If theres enough people to care about it since gen 5 hasnt depleted the fandom enough.

But i believe that gen4s presence would still be alive to even help boost curiosity for gen 6.

But that said.

What about gen 3 to gen 4? No one praised gen 3 and gave praise to gen 4 correct? So if gen 5 became like gen 3 then theres a possibility that gen 6 might be the new gen4.

If you're at the bottom theres only way to go is at the top.

The possibility is endless.

• Brohoof 1

Generally speaking, people's expectations were low or nonexistent before interacting with G4, so it was easier to be impressed.

When G5 came around, people's expectations were much higher so it was easier to be disappointed.

• Brohoof 4

4 minutes ago, Tater Trot said:

Generally speaking, people's expectations were low or nonexistent before interacting with G4, so it was easier to be impressed.

When G5 came around, people's expectations were much higher so it was easier to be disappointed.

Maybe they did plan gen 5 to be a sacrificial lamb... Hasbro might be up to something.... hmm 🤔

27 minutes ago, Tater Trot said:

Yes, there’s no doubt the expectation for G5 to be at G4’s height was VERY present for many. Of course being a sequel to FIM sit wrong for others wanting to leave FIM as the holy object to remain sealed forever, because  an official sequel messing with their headcanon.

51 minutes ago, Tater Trot said:

Yeah, and for gen 3 to gen 4, well, there wasn't really much of a fandom before G4. The fandom that was there was focused primarily on collecting the toys (iirc) and not so much on the show itself like now. Most of the people watching G4 were watching MLP for the first time ever (myself included) so there just wasn't much of a focus on the previous gens like we have now with 4 to 5.

Edited by Iforgotmybrain
  • Brohoof 2

23 hours ago, Iforgotmybrain said:

Yeah, and for gen 3 to gen 4, well, there wasn't really much of a fandom before G4. The fandom that was there was focused primarily on collecting the toys (iirc) and not so much on the show itself like now. Most of the people watching G4 were watching MLP for the first time ever (myself included) so there just wasn't much of a focus on the previous gens like we have now with 4 to 5.

A fandom none the less.

And remember the fandom of gen 4 brought up gen 3 as gen2.5

Hence the fandom touched it... It has a fandom.

The point here is people watched gen 3 a few then people watched gen 4.

There is a chance of gen 5 as a sacrificial lamb for gen 6

Or they did gen 5 to kill the fandom.

Whats most of it.

Since history has proven of what a mess the fandom is.

Again.

I blame the fandom for destroying the series.

Yes i am part of it.

Yes i am destroying it.... Muhahahahaha!!!

Yes.

• Brohoof 1