if you were buying a home today , what would be your turn offs and things you would see as a must?

Reecejackox

Turn-offs would definitely be things like a slanted floor, cracks, mildew and mold. I'd get the foundation researched as well, you may never know if anything's been damaged. I think also having to drive anywhere for a while is a turn off too.

Must-haves is probably a transparent seller/landlord, lots of windows. A garden facing south would be best because that gets the most sunlight. A basement would be nice if it's in good condition, dealing with water damage is a big problem. Close to public transport is nice, roads as well. It of course depends where you live.

• Brohoof 3

Turn Offs: Any kind of HOA. Bad location (on a busy road, far away from things). Any sort of major structural or plumbing issues. Carpet in the bathroom (yes this seriously used to be a thing, look it up). No fenced in yard.

Must haves: Lots of natural light be it from skylights and/or windows. Decent amount of shade. Air conditioning (rare that houses don't have it in Ohio but there's still some). Basement (tornadoes do happen around here, plus good for storage). Some sort of fenced in yard, preferably a fenced in backyard.

• Brohoof 2

Must haves: House with Orchard!!! In a town near a train station to Barcelona. So I can have a dog and my own shiny vegetables and go to see my friends.

Turn Offs: no orchard...

• Brohoof 1

Oh perfect, I have two types already :izzy-shine:

Must haves:

1st would be in the Alps (Austria or Switzerland), a cottage with lots of goats and sheep outside because I would be making cheesse, great expanses of green and some trusted, nice neighbors nearby with whom I would trade and try our cheese

2nd on an island (Fuerteventura or one of the Greek island - not sure which one yet :ooh:), also a cottage at the sea where I'll be keeping my yacht. Goats for making feta are optional here. Some nice neighbours nearby would be an advantage

Turn-offs:

Near crowded roads and civilization

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1
  • Excited 2

As far as turnoffs go, Crazy high pricing doesn't help :scoots:
I wouldn't want something in a build up area like an apartment or townhouse nor something in the middle of nowhere, the prices are much better but the access to anything isn't, I hardly rely on public transport so I think a sweet spot an hour or so outside of a city might be good, beyond suburbia but not quite in the sticks either

8 hours ago, Finding_Marty said:

1st would be in the Alps (Austria or Switzerland)

Marty is onto something here, I'd love a spot in the Italian / German Alps, in summer it is incredible, I'd want to be away from the ski resorts in winter though

A must would be a bit of land and a lot of privacy, as for the house itself something stone and wood cottage style is right up my alley, another must is a  sizeable shed for my cars and what have you, again made from stone and wood, huge bonus points for thatched or wood slat / slate roofing for both buildings :winking-izzy:

Must have some fruit trees and a respectable veggie patch as well! not sure how well that'd go in a place with snow :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 1
  • Excited 2

56 minutes ago, Snow said:

As far as turnoffs go, Crazy high pricing doesn't help :scoots:
I wouldn't want something in a build up area like an apartment or townhouse nor something in the middle of nowhere, the prices are much better but the access to anything isn't, I hardly rely on public transport so I think a sweet spot an hour or so outside of a city might be good, beyond suburbia but not quite in the sticks either

Marty is onto something here, I'd love a spot in the Italian / German Alps, in summer it is incredible, I'd want to be away from the ski resorts in winter though

A must would be a bit of land and a lot of privacy, as for the house itself something stone and wood cottage style is right up my alley, another must is a  sizeable shed for my cars and what have you, again made from stone and wood, huge bonus points for thatched or wood slat / slate roofing for both buildings :winking-izzy:

Must have some fruit trees and a respectable veggie patch as well! not sure how well that'd go in a place with snow :ButtercupLaugh:

You can have some Apple Trees and if you want a citric, Yuzu is the most well adapted citrus tree to the cold, almost -10 degree Celcius, wich is very low, and you can make juice and Jam with Yuzu. Swiss alps are very beautifull indeed.

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

19 hours ago, Snow said:

Will you come for a visit to taste the cheese? We can exchange for some fruits and veggies :jazz-hooves-please:

During winter seasons we can rent the houses out and go somewhere nice, such as Thailand or Vietnam :Pip-giggle:

• Delighted Giggle 1

Number one must-have: location, location, location! Unlike many people I know, I can NOT live anywhere and be happy. I know where I belong and living anywhere else is like a prison sentence. So I must live in Southern California and it must be within city limits of a large city (but LARGE is how we make cities here). It can’t have any shared walls, so no duplexes or any of that stuff. And I would like very modern décor; nothing that feels old unless it’s a retro 60s, 70s or 80s with a dedicated exaggeration of style. All rooms must be large enough to house a lot of stuff and still have plenty of room to walk around and not have to climb over the furniture to do so. And a secure area with low crime.

Turn offs:

Noisy neighbors with old washing machines and other trash collected in their yard,

Barking dogs that keep everyone on earth awake at night except their oblivious owners.

No view of the sky.

• Brohoof 1
  • Excited 1