general Does anyone have a Bug-Out Bag?

Dreambiscuit

18 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Money isn’t something I often think about packing when imagining survival scenarios

I once made my girlfriend an Altoids tin kit to keep in the car. Somebody broke in and stole it of course.

Spoiler

They also took my leftover tote I had after a 4th of July party that had some moldy hotdogs buns. Was going to throw it out the next day, I swear!

The strangest thing was they took our stash of McDonald's Sweet and Sour Sauce from the center console, but not the Wendy's.

It had lots of things which I'll list, but I included a $20 bill and $2.50 in quarters. The main idea was if she found herself somewhere without a card reader or if there was ever an issue with hers, she'd have enough to get a few gallons of gas, a treat from a vending machine, or cover bus fare. Theoretically she could also use them for a still working payphone, pool or campground showers, or a laundry soap dispenser at a hotel.

I was going to include a $50 gift card, but glad I didn't at the time.

Her kit also included a face mask, toilet seat cover, flushable wet wipe, makeup remover wipe, screen wipe, alcohol wipe, Purell sanitizing gel, Bandaids, antibiotic ointment, tweezers, nail trimmer, ibuprofen, tylenol, chapstick, mirror, and toothpick flosser.

I've been meaning to make more, amd the different colors for the flavored tins was what gave me the color organization idea.

• Brohoof 1

@SharpWit I like the hygiene items and the thinking behind the different scenarios where a little cash can make a huge difference. By the way, sauce packets might be a good idea for the bug-out bag. After all, they’re lightweight and potentially stay fresh for years at a time.

@Sparklefan1234 Naturally a jar to catch fireflies is something no bug-out bag should be without. No batteries, hand-cranking or solar power required; just a few willing insects. I think you may be on to something. Besides, they’re so pretty.

A few other items that come to mind are a multi-tool, and one of those credit card-sized tools that has blades, hooks and lots of other doo-dads that can fit right in a wallet. Also (and this is my own silly concept) one luxury item of choice. In my case I always carry a pair of comfy bedroom slippers. I know they take up space and are far from necessary, but when you’re facing an emergency situation, you want to be reminded of more than just existing, but of the civilization you’re trying to preserve. I always pack slippers on my trips, even when my suitcases are bulging. I would do no less for survival.

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

@Dreambiscuit I thought about it, but I personally don't like spicy foods and the only sauce that I get excited for is apple. :ButtercupLaugh:

I'll have ketchup with fries sometimes, but, if there isn't any that's usually fine. Sometimes I'll be a snob and bring my own pepper grinder into restaurants because the preground stuff is stale.

We keep a stash of Sweet and Sour Sauce in the car for my girlfriend and always order extra because half of the time they don't give us any. I'll ask for two with my meal, she'll ask for two with hers, pay for two more, and still wind up with nothing, despite there then being three requests on the order?

For most people however, Tabasco seems to be a lifesaver, and although it was sad that the US military discontinued distribution of those adorably tiny bottles with their MREs, they have since been providing a packet of powder.

From time to time I have considered sweeteners. White sugar, brown, raw, honey and agave nectar, and almost made an Emergenc-Tea kit. It would consist of a metal cup with a lid that would store everything when not in use, but could be heated up with a foldable esbit stove and some fuel tabs or something similar, brew your tea of choice, with a sweetener, creamer, and lemon juice at the ready. I even found some individually packaged dehydrated lemon slices if we wanted to be fancy. The only thing not included would be water.

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, SharpWit said:

For most people however, Tabasco seems to be a lifesaver, and although it was sad that the US military discontinued distribution of those adorably tiny bottles with their MREs, they have since been providing a packet of powder.

From time to time I have considered sweeteners. White sugar, brown, raw, honey and agave nectar, and almost made an Emergenc-Tea kit. It would consist of a metal cup with a lid that would store everything when not in use, but could be heated up with a foldable esbit stove and some fuel tabs or something similar, brew your tea of choice, with a sweetener, creamer, and lemon juice at the ready. I even found some individually packaged dehydrated lemon slices if we wanted to be fancy. The only thing not included would be water.

Tabasco sounds like a fresh idea, and the tea kit is good too, especially since the whole thing can be packaged up in a collapsible cup. I'm going to end up doubling my inventory list for my bug-out bag. This is good stuff! :P

• Excited 1