Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming 3DS DLC Speculation

Nico

Nintendo has announced that later this year the 3DS will be able to support paid DLC for games, and it isn't hard to believe that 3rd Party companies will eat that up and spit back out content of varying quality. Certain companies *cough* CAPCOM *cough* will probably rip us off, and others might give us great deals.

What if Nintendo were to create DLC for their games? Do you think they could put anything good on the market that you'd be willing to buy?

Basically, what kinds of DLC do you think will become available for the games we currently know are coming up on the market? Will this content be a marketing nightmare as most DLC is? Or can Nintendo weed out the best of the best for everyone?

I'm both against/for this. It can renew some games which are really good and worth getting. (MK7 for example)

Though i hope they don't drop down the quality of the full games because of DLC:s.

Free DLC's and paid DLC's, both should be considered on Nintendo's side. As you said, i hope they don't over do it. (some companies do..)

I would love to see DLCs for example SSB <insert title> with (new maps,characters etc). Actually it's a simply way to make a "old" game feel new again without having to develop an entire new game which takes alot of time.

Edited by Jonke
  • Brohoof 1

Im sry nic but capcom has already been doing DLC's since like the stone although they my have created the same version of a game constantly they still support DLC's

Capcom has repeatedly put on offer DLC that is most certainly not worth the money you pay for it, and more often than not is already on the disc and you're just paying to 'unlock' it. Resident Evil 5's 'Versus' mode and MvC3's DLC characters Jill and Shuma-gorath are great examples of things that were already there (look at their ridiculously small file sizes) but had to be paid to use, simply because they weren't completely finished when the game released. They could have just as easily NOT charged $5 for that stuff and given it to the players who already paid $60 for their games, but they're rip-off artists.

Of course, Capcom isn't the only company driving DLC into the ground as bad marketing. Epic Games released their first DLC for Gears of War 3, the Horde Command Pack for $10, and it was only a 2MB download, meaning nearly everything you got was already there on the disc, including the 3 maps it came with. Not to mention that the weapon skins total out at roughly $40 despite having no actual affect on gameplay.

Bioware had a terrible case of DLC cheapness with Dragon Age. In the game you could find a quest-giver who tells you of an awesome quest you can undertake only to redirect you to a screen to purchase Dragon Age: Origins, because you have to have that to actually PLAY the quest. Origins wasn't on-disc already, but was clearly already planned and underway when the game released, yet they charged a lot of money for it.

Bethesda is infamous for the Horse Armor incident and famous for making much more substantial DLC afterwards, but a lot of other companies haven't quite grasped that a lot of things aren't worth paying for, and it's definitely wrong to hold out on content that's already on-disc but has to be purchased separately.

I'm both against/for this. It can renew some games which are really good and worth getting. (MK7 for example)

Though i hope they don't drop down the quality of the full games because of DLC:s.

Free DLC's and paid DLC's, both should be considered on Nintendo's side. As you said, i hope they don't over do it. (some companies do..)

I would love to see DLCs for example SSB <insert title> with (new maps,characters etc). Actually it's a simply way to make a "old" game new again without having to develop an entire new game which takes alot of time.

Mario Kart 7 is something I desperately hope that Nintendo released DLC for, as I would pay a bit of extra money just to play on more updated retro tracks. Super Smash Bros. is also a game that could very easily benefit from DLC, as the amount of characters and stages that they can pull from to add into the game is nearly limitless. This might help them to avoid the clone problems from the previous games, too, if they can take some serious time to contemplate new characters after the game is already shipped.

I would just hope that they don't charge too much for the content on offer if they use it, whether it's Nintendo or a 3rd party company.

Mario Kart 7 is something I desperately hope that Nintendo released DLC for, as I would pay a bit of extra money just to play on more updated retro tracks. Super Smash Bros. is also a game that could very easily benefit from DLC, as the amount of characters and stages that they can pull from to add into the game is nearly limitless. This might help them to avoid the clone problems from the previous games, too, if they can take some serious time to contemplate new characters after the game is already shipped.

I would just hope that they don't charge too much for the content on offer if they use it, whether it's Nintendo or a 3rd party company.

Actually, if we get paid DLC for Mario Kart 7, I will not be happy.

I already dislike the game to begin with, and if I find out that they hold back Waluigi, Bowser Jr., etc. just so they could charge us extra money for them later, my opinion of Nintendo will drop significantly lower.

And them releasing newly redone Retro Tracks should not expected. They might release ones from Mario Kart Wii, but that's it. They have to have more retro tracks to do for the next Mario Kart game, and lets be honest, supplies are running a lot shorter than they were before.

Actually, if we get paid DLC for Mario Kart 7, I will not be happy.

I already dislike the game to begin with, and if I find out that they hold back Waluigi, Bowser Jr., etc. just so they could charge us extra money for them later, my opinion of Nintendo will drop significantly lower.

And them releasing newly redone Retro Tracks should not expected. They might release ones from Mario Kart Wii, but that's it. They have to have more retro tracks to do for the next Mario Kart game, and lets be honest, supplies are running a lot shorter than they were before.

I doubt that Nintendo would add these characters in as DLC, simply for the fact that characters hold little bearing on the gameplay. At the very most I might expect them to release new characters in a pack along with other content, such as new tracks or kart pieces.

As for releasing new Retro Tracks for Mario Kart 7, they have literally every track ever to pull from; since it'd be an optional purchase on the user's part, they wouldn't have to feel obligated to use tracks that haven't already been used in another recent iteration. Heck, if they found a way to add bikes into this game I'd buy it simply because I like the way they handle better. Nobody ever said Nintendo would have to charge for this stuff, either; they could just give us the things for free, and with characters that seems pretty likely, I think.