Is it bad that I like the darker side of MLP?

Pinkaminas_little_helper

Join the club. I say when it comes to fanfics, the darker, more demented and sometimes risque, the better. Personally I love that feeling of shock and near horror that comes when reading extremely dark stories normally happy-go-lucky colorful ponies.

Not a thing in the world wrong with you.

Whoa now, bro.

I am THE creepiest person you will ever meet, and I like to watch cartoon ponies.

I am perfectly okay with this.

Be yourself! You can still enjoy both parts of the fandom. And there is always something worse.

Edited by Arya Stark (PDS)

No worries, theres not a thing wrong with it. I myself love the grimdark, and otherwise emotional stuff from the fandom. It took me a while to put a finger on why, but I think it's because it's the side of the show we don't really see, but it still has all the characters we've come to know and love.

I thought Cupcakes was a very well done fic. Did it creep me out? You bet it did, but it was good. Rocket to Insanity is a good one too.

If you havent already, since you like the darker stuff, I'd recommend Lil Miss Rarity. It's pretty "edgy," but it's still one of my personal favorites. Give it a shot.

We don't control what we like, and as long as you don't show it to those who shouldn't see it, there is nothing wrong with liking the Dark Side of Fandom.

I have a number of twisted fetishes and a love of fantasy and horror, so I won't look down on you.

It's all good man!

Like what you want to like, it's your choice, not the community's. I like Grimdark stuff myself (to an extend) and I know how to differenciate canon and fanon. Cupcakes is not my taste though but Rainbow Factory figures in one of my favorites. I also like sad stuff, which bronies in general doesn't like either. That does not mean I can't enjoy it. Feel free to like what you like.

Not at all! It's not something I'm really into, like those disturbing pictures of Pinkie being a serial killer or weird fan fiction where the ponies die or commit suicide. And I wasn't even particularly taken with My Little Dashie, well written as it was...but I respect your right to enjoy the darker side. Love and tolerance, you know? :)

Nothing wrong with that at all. Not everyone likes those stories, and those who don't like them have varying reasons. Personally, I don't like "Cupcakes" or "Rainbow Factory" - not because of the violence and dark nature, as I find that such can make for an excellent story when presented properly, but instead because they were simply full of senseless violence and lacked a clear story other than violence.

Also, if you like grimdark, then I would highly recommend BronyCray's "The Night That Never Ended". TNTNE doesn't have nearly as much gore and violence as the aforementioned fics, but I still feel as if it managed to take the term "grimdark" to a whole new level - the story truly is grim, tells of hopeless, despair-filled future with a bleak outlook. It's a good story if you're into the really dark stuff.

• 8 years later...

Nope, and I would be the last person to judge, since I started going through my phase of liking the darker side of MLP back in December 2011. I was reading Sweet Apple Massacre, Rainbow Factory, terrible Cupcakes rip-offs, and watching Cupcakes animations with gruesome content. Even got suspended from this site for posting one. That phase lasted for um...five years, I think? Yeah, I don't even remember because once I outgrew that phase, I really did outgrow it. Only grimdark MLP thing I still keep up with is J5A4 stuff.