Where does the Rule of Celestia/Luna begin?

Stalliongrad

We are given an glimpse into the founding of Equestria in "Hearth's Warming Eve" and i really liked it. But the period right after is very unexplored to me. How long after the unification of the Earth Ponies, Unicorn and Pegasi did the "Royal House" to which Celestia and Luna belong come to power. Even more interesting how did the newly unifed Equestria elect its leaders before her. Just a thought.. ;)

post-7493-0-04195000-1355253323_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I always thought that after Discord was defeated Celestia and Luna sort of tried to live normal lives. Then after the Windigos attacked they found the settlers who were trying to start up Equestria and were elected to be their leaders since they represented all three races of ponies. 

I would imagine that the communications back then were pretty medieval and after the fall of discord there would be a lot of chaos from his minions being master less and the ponies in general not having a unified nation. We also don't know where Discord set up his HQ. If the sisters defeated him up where the Crystal empire was then stayed up there for a while the events in Hearths warming eve could have happened several weeks or months before Celestia and Luna even learned about it. 

• Brohoof 1

We are given an glimpse into the founding of Equestria in "Hearth's Warming Eve" and i really liked it. But the period right after is very unexplored to me. How long after the unification of the Earth Ponies, Unicorn and Pegasi did the "Royal House" to which Celestia and Luna belong come to power. Even more interesting how did the newly unifed Equestria elect its leaders before her. Just a thought.. ;)

Actually, if you notice at the end of that episode when all the ponies unite, they raise the flag of Luna and Celestia. So they had to have been around before hand.

I always thought that after Discord was defeated Celestia and Luna sort of tried to live normal lives. Then after the Windigos attacked they found the settlers who were trying to start up Equestria and were elected to be their leaders since they represented all three races of ponies. 

I would imagine that the communications back then were pretty medieval and after the fall of discord there would be a lot of chaos from his minions being master less and the ponies in general not having a unified nation. We also don't know where Discord set up his HQ. If the sisters defeated him up where the Crystal empire was then stayed up there for a while the events in Hearths warming eve could have happened several weeks or months before Celestia and Luna even learned about it. 

This pretty much goes along with what I just said in my post. She goes into a bit more detail though. Makes sense so I'll believe it.

• Brohoof 1

That could be explained as the original banner being lost to time and the banner of Celestia and Luna being one that all ponies would recognize  Example: Did you know that some of the first American flags had a British flag where the stars are now? Not many people would recognize it. What about the fact that the "Confederate flag." Was a battle flag and was never actually the real Southern flag. 

Actually, if you notice at the end of that episode when all the ponies unite, they raise the flag of Luna and Celestia. So they had to have been around before hand.

• Brohoof 1

Good thought. Well we saw that the three tribes already had the twin Alicorns on their flag when it was founded, yet make no mention of the Princesses. We also know Discord ruled Equestria for a (none too pleasant) period of time and that Celestia and Luna dethroned and petrified him.

So what we can gather is that Discord emerged from whatever unholy pandemonium spawned him to ensare the fledgling nation to his sadistic whims. The Princesses stepped in with the Elements of Harmony later. Think of what that would look like to the liberated ponies. Two alicorns, almost identical to  the twins bared on the old standard, descending from on high and wielding a force the likes of which has never been seen to reduce their demonic tormentor to stone? Straight up, divine deliverance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHJ6-YnsOyw

We don't know where the Princesses came from anymore than we do Discord's origins. (This was intentional on Faust's part, saying the mystery and inexplicability made them more interesting characters.) But to their subjects, it hardly mattered. I doubt either Princess said, "we saved your plots. Now we run this shit!" even in more elegant terms. But I'm sure the prospect of being governed by your immortal and obviously caring saviors was greatly appealing to the ponies. Really the system is ideal. A di-archy of shared responsibility between two benevolent immortals who will never be succeeded by someone less worthy than they DOES get rid a lot of the possibility for corruption. 

Nightmare_Moon_depicted_in_legend_S1E1.p

. . . . I said "a lot" not all. And in Luna's defense Faust did say she was corrupted by a dark magic outside of herself, which played on her insecurities and envy.

And, of course, we know the rest of the story from there.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 3