open Equestrian Civil War- Take Two

That One Techpriest You Used To Know

Golden Age and Cunning Horn entered the tavern. What greeted them was a mass of ponies, mostly enlistedmen, spending away their bits on jugs of cider. There was a pony in the back playing a jig on the fiddle. "They way I see things" The Lieutenant said to the Captain "If there ain't no cider or music, then it ain't a pub." They found an unoccupied table towards the back to sit by. Once their drinks had been recived, Golden Age began to converse. "So sir, would it be too much to ask if I asked about yer career?"

((OOC : @. Geez, sorry. I didn't that post yesterday ))

Cunning Horn observed the tavern for Hatcher. Luckily, he was still there. He turned to Golden Age, "Uhm, Lieutenant. Can ye wait here for a while? I will be back in a grain o' sand". He trotted to Hatcher before the Lieutenant could answer. He patted Hatcher on the shoulder again.
The old quartermaster turned at him, "Captain! Escaping that fast?" He chuckled.
"Actually I have another plan for now. Ye still have that reward dubloon?"
"Of course Capt! I don't dare to spill it"
"Clever. Keep that thing for later and don't believe anything that say about me execution. It's a lie, but don't tell anypony about it"
"Aye Capt!"
Cunning Horn walked back to Golden Age, "Where were we?".

Golden Age took a swig of cider "Right sir, I was asking ye about yer career, if that's alright with ye. I know yer one of them tacticans but I would like to know how ye got yer position. Did ye work yer way up the ranks, although I would find that highly unlikely sir! Most officers these days come from rich families to buy commissions."

"Another."

The Landlord poured him another drink, the golden liquid heavy in his misty glass. No sooner had he raised the bottle Lance threw it back, gulping it down in one fast swig. He slammed his hoof down on the counter, nearly shattering the glass. He gave a harsh glare at the Landlord.

"Don't stop there. I'm hardly done yet."

"You've had a mighty much already sir. I think you'd best be headin' back home now."

"I will say when enough is enough. Another round."

"So be it, but you best be pain' your tab."

Another drink was poured into Lance's glace, although this time he seemed to have more difficulty bringing it to his mouth on a straight line. "Leave the bottle, I can sort myself out."

The Landlord gave a gruff look but went on with other business about the tavern. Lance glared around the room, giving foul looks in everyponies direction. He wiped his mouth with his foreleg as he moved to refresh his drink again. He overflowed the glass, causing it to dribble down the side of the counter. He didn't really notice. It was about now that he caught sight of a peculiar bunch across the tavern that seemed to interest him, even in his intoxicated state.

"Lieutenant Golden Age." He gave an almost sarcastic official tone. "Been long while since I last set eyes on you, not since you were but a Sergeant. Who's your friend here? Don't recognized him."

Golden Age turned to the drunken Lieutenant "Oh hello Vance, been such a long time since I've seen ye as well! This here is Captain Cunning Horn, of which I would advise ye to treat your superior with more respect!" Golden Age took another sip of his drink "So, how's yer..lil' regiment? Been doing anything useful as of late? Or are they also somewhere in this tavern taking after their officer?"

Cunning Horn twisted his mind against that question. Saying that he was a criminal and traitor would made a ridiculous condition, "I uhm, sell sword. Aye, a kind of mercenary. I wander Equestria with me crew for some war opportunities" He drunk his rum and continued, "That's how I made me reputation. That scallywag I was squawkin with was me quartermaster".
He looked at the stranger. He knew that stallion. Named Lance, but he forgot the title. He sighed when he heard that the stranger didn't recognize him.

Edited by Sky Warden

Lance examined the swirling liquid in his glace. "Captain Cunning Horn. Captain..."

He set his drink back down on the counter, passing a harsh glare at Golden Age. "My Regiment was divided after my demotion. Captain Vanguard I was, now a mere Lieutenant. It is truly pitiful."

He swung back his drink, motioning towards the half empty bottle. "I have been stationed here till further notice... to keep me out of trouble. It would seem my attitude hasn't impressed my superiors. That, and the failed raid of Baltimare. Hence why I remain here, drowning my sorrows in hard liquor."

He looked back over to Cunning Horn as he discussed matters with another party member. "Captain indeed."

Golden Age turned back to Cunning Horn with Vance in his peripheral vision and made sure that the pony could hear what he was saying "Sorry sir, this lad served with me a while back, the lad doesn't have very many talents other than boastfulness and narrcism, but apparently drunkenness is one of them as well.

Aye I see, selling swords and what not. Tell me sir, do mercenaries ever fight for a cause other than money?"

Cunning Horn tried to put a friendly grin at the drunk Lieutenant. He remembered that they had some bad events in the past during his criminal career and he wished that the Liutenant wouldn't remembered about it. He turned to Golden Age and whispered, "It's okay" He rose his voice into a normal voice "Well, aye. We swashbucklin across Equestria for fame, but ye know, dubloons are important".

Golden Age had become less and less tolerant of the Lieutenant. When they first met he thought of him as a tad cocky, but it was obvious to Golden Age now that he was full of boastfulness and greed. Golden Age saw the strange look Cunning Horn gave Vance, but assumed they had some buisness some time back that didn't go as planned.

"Aye, money is important, but it seems that most, if not all, mercenaries would switch sides for a bit more a month!"

We threw back another drink, pretending to ignore the remark made by his former brother in arms. He spoke softly to himself, but was louder than intended. "Indeed, what have I sunk to? I was a commander, a tactician, a war hero even. Look at where I am now, conversing with you lot. I would gladly give the plunder of a thousand cities just to have my back on those who robbed me of my rank."

He poured himself another drink, being careful this time not to spill too much. "I once knew one by the name of Cunning Horn." Lance began speaking in a drunken slur, leaning heavily on the counter. "Long story short he was a fighter. Had most of the criminal organisation at his hooves... so to speak. I remember little for the drink plays heavily with my wits. It matters not."

One could not help but notice that he still cradled his rapier at his side tightly whenever he had the chance. Even in his drunken state he was ever cautious of others, a thing you learn among the rivalries of commanders and politicians.

Edited by The-Master

Cunning Horn pulled his upper lip to the left quickly and gave the same weird friendly grin at Golden Age, "Don't listen to him. He's drunk". He grabbed his glass and pulled his body a little away from the table as he drunk his rum. He planned some tricks for his advantage in this tavern.

Golden Age turned to Lance, for some reason he had a tad bit of pity for the pony.

"Lance, ye know, you're not going to get anywhere being the town drunk. I advise you to clean yerself up, for that might pay off. And eh..thank you for the snippit of information." Golden Age then turned his attention to Cunning Horn with a look of cautiousness and a tad bit of delight. "I don't know, drunkeness can on occassion bring out the truth. And being a merenary would fit the profile of a 'crime leader'. I would arrest you but...I'm assuming the Princess is knowing of this."

Edited by HistoricallyInaccurate

"I drink to pass the time, leave it be."

Turning back to Cunning Horn his tone suddenly feel to anger. "Why they would let scum climb as high as captain I would will never know. Surely the princess is not as wise as we first thought. I guess it all came down to luck of the draw, who's side we chose to join. Ah... don't listen to me. I'm getting too high for my own right."

He slid his foreleg across the counter, knocking over the bottle and shattering it on the cobblestone floor. "Well, I best be off... before I get in more trouble than needs be. I hope we never meet again." And so he got up from his stool and trotted towards the exit, giving his last muttered words as he parted the doors. "Captain indeed..."

Cunning Horn turned his face into a more serious expression, but still weird. He watched with a smirk on his face when the drunk Lieutenant left the tavern "Well, aye. Yer drunk matey is kinda right, but I'm still curious. How could ye don't know me tale 'eh? Almost every general in the Solar Empire know 'Captain Cunning Horn' and aye. Yer beautiful Princess is already know about this" He chuckled, "Hold yer sword. We have the same enemy and ye better listen to me words. I can take Manehettan just with three small galleys and one frigate if I want, but I need the Republics ponies for that. It's a cruel war. Savvy?".

"Aye war is a cruel mistress, taking brother from brother, son from father-" Golden Age stopped himself "Sorry sir, I can get a bit poetic at times. And aye, we may have the same enemy, but we fight for different reasons. I fight for Luna, you fight for...money I'm sure. But, I can look past that sir, you're alright."

Golden Age got up from his seat "Well sir, it you don't mind, I believe I shall retire, it's been fun" He began to walk but then turned back "Oh, and if Vance ever gives ye any trouble, please, tell me, I wouldn't mind pressing a few charges against that bugger!" He walked out and made his way back to the castle.

"I fight to write me legend" Cunning Horn whispered to himself as he drunk his rum until it was empty. He chuckled, "I can use that pony. Golden Age". He stood up and strode to the bartender, "That matey of mine will pay for me rum" He turned to Hatcher and waved his hoof, "Ahoy there Hatcher! Thanks 'eh!".

Hatcher turned at him and waved his hoof as well, "Aye Capt! No problem!" He said without thinking what Cunning Horn was talking about.

Cunning Horn smirked and turned to the bartender, "See?". He walked out and stole someponies bottle of rum while making his way out from the tavern. He stood in the side of a canal which is used to control the rain water. and looked down at the canal. He couldn't see anything, but he smirked, "The one in Manehettan might be much larger and deeper than this".

"Drink up me hearties yo ho!" He said to nopony and drunk from his bottle. He emptied his bottle as he walked towards the castle. He gave the empty bottle to one of the guard near the gate and left them with a confused look on their face.

Edited by Sky Warden

Luna stared out the window. Maybe her large demotion of Lance Vanguard was a bit too sudden... I mean, Major to Leiutenant... it was true she wasn't feeling her best at the time, but...

She took out a scroll, and then wrote two letters.

Dear Golden Age,

Most of us are focusing on the war in the north. I say it is time to change tactics. You are to bring your troops under the command of Col. Mac to Fillydephia to attack or siege it. You will leave tomorrow.

I am sending you with the newly-promoted Captain Vanguard. Please watch him and give me a report on his performance upon your return. Mind you, do not aggravate him into making stupid decisions, as I know you are ought to do.

Luna.

Dear Lance Vanguard,

After some headache-strewn nights, I decided that the best thing to do would be to re-promote you to Captain. You will be leaving with Captain Golden Age in two days' time. You will be going to Fillydelphia under the command of Col. Mac.

I personally suggest that you put some effort into this siege if you truly wish to keep your new rank...

Luna

"Bloody Hell!" Golden Age said to himself. "Of all the possible officers to be put under, I had to be put under Lance!" The realization of addressing him as "sir" made him shudder. "Surely the princess knows he's nothing more than a drunk. 'I drink to pass the time' says he, aye, and I'm the unknown brother of Princess Luna!" The lieutenant got out a quill and ink a wrote a letter to the Princess of the Night

Your Highness,

It has come to my attention that Lance Vanguard is to be promoted back to his former rank. I have realized that in doing so, would have me be put under his command. I am sure you aware that our relations are not that great, and I believe it would be counter-productive for the both of us if we were to serve together. The very idea of calling him 'sir' feels me with disgust.

However, if you do find importance in the pairing, then I assume I can tolerate his presence. But discovering his likeness of drink, I feel it to be a hard task of keeping him sober.

Your faithful servant,

Golden Age

Edited by HistoricallyInaccurate

Lance staggered back to his room in the local Inn, managing to slot in his key after a few unsuccessful tries. The door creaked open and the drunken Lieutenant flopped himself on the couch. His headache was killing him, all thoughts of his troubles far away in some distant memory. It was about now he spotted he letter that had been slotted through the door and now lying on the floor boards. Lance took it up with his hooves and examined it. It was by Luna's hoof most indefinably, no mistaking it, but what possible reason would she have to contact her by personal letter at this time? Surely not another attack was planned already? It had only been a week since his last call out.

After reading it he let the words sink in. Almost instantly he seemed to sober up, rushing to the closet and grabbing his gear. On to he strapped his armor of lightweight folded steel, already resting on his side was his prized rapier which he claimed was unmatched in battle. He threw on his travel cloak and seized his steel helm.

The thought of Golden Age under his command once again was... amusing. While he was some way off his former position captain was certainly sufficient. This was a better time than most to seek redemption for his failed siege of Baltimare.

• Brohoof 1

"Ain't this pathetic" Applejack stumbled on into the tavern and examined each of the officers gathered there at the bar.

"ah wonder if this here is whut ah look like when ah been drinkin. This just won't do" She made it to the bar and sat down with the other ponies. Her expression sad as usually but a sense if disgust could be read clearly.

"ah think its high time we give them Solar ponies a good kick in the flank and end this war before more ponies die for nothin'. Ah think its time ah take on my role as General of the Infantry. Ah think its high time I stop feelin' sorry for my self like Vanguard here."

She righted her hat and saluted the ponies gathered. "General Applejack at yer Service comrades"

Luna sighed when she saw Golden Age's responce. She took out another piece of paper.

Dear Golden Age,

Be known of the fact that, if he does as bad as he did at Baltimare, he will be under your command permanently. Is it not right to give him a second chance?

Luna

Paper #2...

Dear Valkyre,

I am sending you to Ponyville as a diversionary force. Reinforcements will arrive as soon as the Fillydelphia battle is won... or lost.

Luna.

• Brohoof 1

Cunning Horn wandered around the castle after he returned from the tavern. He wasn't used to get enough sleep because of his 'hunted' habit. Some dark arcs hanged under his eyes. He glanced around the maze to make a mind map of that complicated palace, and for the result, he found some possible escape routes if escaping is necessary, but not now. Not that day. He still had something to do with the Republic and their Solar enemies.

Some guards took a strict look at him as he passed by. He sneaked into a room saw a map of Equestria. He moved his hoof along the river which separated Manehettan and met the sea in the south. He dragged some lines from Fillydelphia to a point in the sea, and dragged another line from the river near Fillydelphia to the same point. He observed the dark room and snorted, "Why there's always no rum whenever I want?".

He strode out of the room before any guard could notice him. He continued wandering the castle, and found his way to the throne room again.

((OOC: That map is based on the one in the first page. :lol: ))

Edited by Sky Warden

"Company! Shoulder; Arms! Left face!"

Golden Age's green regiment of ponies was lined up on the road leading out to Fillydelphia. They had revelie at dawn and ate a quick breakfast. "Alright lads, everypony should have one days worth of rations, canteens full, knapsacks packed, and uniforms in good order." Golden Age was quit excited about finally getting to move out. He hoped he would finally get to see some action, but if it was anything like his last campaign, there would be nothing but waiting.

"Right should shift; Arms!"

At that command the soldier brought the butt of his spear to the tip of the shoulder, having it rest on his right hoof. Golden Age drew his sword from his scabbard. "Forward; March!" At that the Lieutenant brought his sword down and the entire company's left hooves stepped forward, setting the rhythmic beat of marching hooves and the eventual rhythmic beat of tin upon metal.

The march on Fillydelphia had begun.

Lance returned to the barracks of Rockwington as soon as he could. He made haste over road and was greeted by his former Lieutenant in command. He gave a salute and Lance returned a flimsy one.

"Sir- I mean Lieutenant, last I heard you were demoted. You won't find any troops to be had here. Your Pegasus axillaries will not fall under your command so easily."

"There's been a change of plan. I have been reinstated as Captain and you and your Pegasi are to prepare to move out as soon as possible. We will rally with Golden Age before setting off. By wing we should make great speed."

"Yes Lance."

"That's sir to you. Go now and alert the troops. We fly in three hours."