Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming PC gaming or console gaming?

Quill The Pony.

PC or console?  

95 users have voted

1. 1. I think you know.

• PC
    • Console

Because higher quality music makes the game better. Refer to my previous post for more details on this. Also because PC games don't work on a console life cycle, all PC games are subject to discussion. Also you never set parameters. You made the bold statement that PC games are objectively better than console versions. Which would indicate that means ANY given PC/Console game. Also, I do a lot of retro gaming. So forgive me if I'm not as up to date with current games.

A game can look great and sound great but if it suffers from critical bugs and glitches, it can hardly be considered the superior version. Which is what my previous post made apparent.

Because higher quality music makes the game better. Refer to my previous post for more details on this. Also because PC games don't work on a console life cycle, all PC games are subject to discussion. Also you never set parameters. You made the bold statement that PC games are objectively better than console versions. Which would indicate that means ANY given PC/Console game. Also, I do a lot of retro gaming. So forgive me if I'm not as up to date with current games.

A game can look great and sound great but if it suffers from critical bugs and glitches, it can hardly be considered the superior version. Which is what my previous post made apparent.

sure made it a hell of a lot enjoyible on my ears.. and it sure did make the game that much better.. During Boss fights I was more pumped up due to the music being 20% cooler

also FF vii for my system (back in the day) anywazs had zero bugs software or hardware conflicts. so out of the box it was more surpior then the psx version.

which brings me back to the agure ment.. Better hardware = better games. sure if u run the old PC version 1997 on a system that only did software rendering would it look like crap and make the psx version better. Next to a Pc that had Dual 3DFX Cards that also had GLIDE support.. made the psx version sob in tears

I guess it comes down  to.. you get what you paid for arguement

also another worthy notice.. On pc games that do not support some features like AF or AA for that fact you can force it by useing the built in video driver control Panal  Nvidia Panal or ATI catilist to force setting onto a game and make them look even better though they may have never been desiged be like that.

Game only support 4X AA in the in game options? no Problem go into video control panal and force 16x AA no problem

Edited by MadDoggyca

sure made it a hell of a lot enjoyible on my ears.. and it sure did make the game that much better.. During Boss fights I was more pumped up due to the music being 20% cooler

That doesn't fix the myriad of OTHER issues the initial PC release had (which was my argument for the third time.)

(I like cupcakes.)

Because higher quality music makes the game better.

Objectively, yes. If both games were the same, but one had better music, then in objective measurements, the one with better music is the better version. It may be only slightly, but that doesn't make it untrue, nor would it make the lesser version subjectively better with any accuracy.

Refer to my previous post for more details on this. Also because PC games don't work on a console life cycle, all PC games are subject to discussion.

Including the old ones you're avoiding because PC gaming has gotten significantly better since the days of DOS and Win98?

I don't blame you, though. If you're struggling to come up with a game during the console golden years that was better on a console than a PC, then it would be really hard to come up with a title that comes even close nowadays.

Edited by DusK

Objectively, yes. If both games were the same, but one had better music, than in objective measurements, the one with better music is the better version. It may be only slightly, but that doesn't make it untrue, nor would it make the lesser version subjectively better with any accuracy.Including the old ones you're avoiding because PC gaming has gotten significantly better since the days of DOS and Win98?

I don't blame you, though. If you're struggling to come up with a game during the console golden years that was better on a console than a PC, then it would be really hard to come up with a title that comes even close nowadays.

A game with better quality music is a better game? Really? Wow. When did this happen? That is too hilarious. "Yeah, I'm gonna ignore all the technical issues because the music sounds better man. Yeah, totally radical. The better quality music totally makes up for the bugs, the glitches, ect. None of that matters, man, because the music quality is better!"

And you continue to ignore my post where even your fact sheet said the initial PC release had quite a handful of issues upon release. And again, I also explained why I used this one as an example. Maybe if you read my posts you'd know why.

want to know the irony of the golden years of console game.. Take any game from nes/snes/n64/mega drive,GB,GBC,GBA, Drop a Emulator down on a pc and load the rom on the PC..

Emulators alone can make a console title better just by useing a pc. Project64 and EpsxE is a awsome example on how to make that N64 or Psx game look, run and sound better then the console it was desgined for could ever do....

A game with better quality music is a better game? Really? Wow. When did this happen? That is too hilarious. "Yeah, I'm gonna ignore all the technical issues because the music sounds better man. Yeah, totally radical. The better quality music totally makes up for the bugs, the glitches, ect. None of that matters, man, because the music quality is better!"

And you continue to ignore my post where even your fact sheet said the initial PC release had quite a handful of issues upon release. And again, I also explained why I used this one as an example. Maybe if you read my posts you'd know why.

your igrnoring the fact that Nether the PSX version or The PC had any bugs.. atlest on the system I ran it.. so from that point yes the one with better music is a better version since both version had no technical flaws

to prove my point u have to have a old Windows 98 System that had 2x Vodoo 2,3,4 or 5 cards and a soundblaster Pro next to a psx version runing at the same time to see and here the diffrence with no Techinal flaws. BTW the PC version also runs at higher frame rates then the PSX version (fps30) so it also run smoother

Edited by MadDoggyca

And you continue to ignore my post where even your fact sheet said the initial PC release had quite a handful of issues upon release.

As if these didn't get fixed to the point where the that version of the game ended up being better than the PSX in ways other than music.

Gaming wise, the computer easily wins here because of Steam. You can buy games for your computer and have it saved on here without the need of using a Disc to play the game.

All I can say is that glorified game rentals are never a winning scenario.  I'm one of those folks that still like to own the license. XD

As if these didn't get fixed to the point where the that version of the game ended up being better than the PSX in ways other than music.

I specified initial release long before now. And I used a source you originally linked me to. So this was my argument: initial release vs initial release.

want to know the irony of the golden years of console game.. Take any game from nes/snes/n64/mega drive,GB,GBC,GBA, Drop a Emulator down on a pc and load the rom on the PC..

Emulators alone can make a console title better just by useing a pc. Project64 and EpsxE is a awsome example on how to make that N64 or Psx game look, run and sound better then the console it was desgined for could ever do....

your igrnoring the fact that Nether the PSX version or The PC had any bugs.. atlest on the system I ran it.. so from that point yes the one with better music is a better version since both version had no technical flaws

to prove my point u have to have a old Windows 98 System that had 2x Vodoo 2,3,4 or 5 cards and a soundblaster Pro next to a psx version runing at the same time to see and here the diffrence with no Techinal flaws. BTW the PC version also runs at higher frame rates then the PSX version (fps30) so it also run smoother

But the creators themselves said that the initial release suffered from issues. Regardless of the reasons, it still had issues.

All I can say is that glorified game rentals are never a winning scenario.  I'm one of those folks that still like to own the license. XD

BTW Value stated  that if they ever take steam Offline permently they would release a fix/patch for ever game bought on steam to the user were they would never have to rely on steam service.. basicly if steam ever gose bye bye, you can still keep and play your steam bought games

I specified initial release long before now. And I used a source you originally linked me to. So this was my argument: initial release vs initial release.

But the creators themselves said that the initial release suffered from issues. Regardless of the reasons, it still had issues.

none the less if the game had issues but my system did not exprince any of them.. that means for that machine it came with out any issues.

just like consoles.. One xbox 360 may be fine.. your buddys may suffer from a red ring of death..  the one that didn't suffer from the red ring is techinal the better one..

like I said though you get what you pay for.. The more money you through at the hardware leavel the better the software exprince will be..

I could easly buy a $400 desktop and get  COD for it, it'll look like shit and run like shit compaired to the console version.

now if I drop $3000 on a desktop and run the same COD game.. the console version would feel like and run like shit.

This is why with ever NEW windows release xp/vista/7/8 I turn around sell my current gaming rig and drop another $3000-$4000 on a new system. just a personal prefrence

So when people argue whtch is better console or PC gaming. They have to  remmember Im agureing at the hardware lvl... 200-600 console hardware with a single widescreen vs $3000-$4000 PC hardware with 3+ screen in 3D has a huge impact on how a game could be 1000% better.

Edited by MadDoggyca

BTW Value stated  that if they ever take steam Offline permently they would release a fix/patch for ever game bought on steam to the user were they would never have to rely on steam service.. basicly if steam ever gose bye bye, you can still keep and play your steam bought games

none the less if the game had issues but my system did not exprince any of them.. that means for that machine it came with out any issues.

just like consoles.. One xbox 360 may be fine.. your buddys may suffer from a red ring of death..  the one that didn't suffer from the red ring is techinal the better one..

It's not so much the patching I'm concerned with it would be the delivery of the actual games once Steam is gone.  I could burn backups of all my Steam games if I wanted to but that just takes up space (so do stamped discs but I prefer stamped installers than burned backups).

That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And obviously if they're going to admit it was an issue, it must have been an issue for a lot of people.

But back to my original point, I still believe that saying any given PC game is factually better than a console version is idiotic. I still believe it's in the realm of opinion. This FF7 discussion spun off from that.

Edited by HailthornX

That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And obviously if they're going to admit it was an issue, it must have been an issue for a lot of people.

But back to my original point, I still believe that saying any given PC game is factually better than a console version is idiotic. I still believe it's in the realm of opinion. This FF7 discussion spun off from that.

it may have but useing FFVii as a example kind of burned you when you failed or forgot that they did re-make FF7 in 2012 to run on Xp/Vista/7/8 with it being way suprior even though techical there still the same game (game play / story) only thing that change was graphics, audio, video rendering, and and re-writen code whitch made it more stable and smoother running .. easier on the eyes and ears. well incressing fps and cleaning up jagged edges thanks to anti alising and other rendering options... Sounds like a soild win for PC gamers. 

BTW if you have not played the Remake... the ether Buy it or download it form some were... It's totally warrents the time spent to beat it. the remake is that amazing

Edited by MadDoggyca

I forgot to mention that all of those emulators you mention are available for Wii and consoles as well. As a matter of fact, I've got a perfectly running GB, GBC, GBA, SNES, NES, and GEN emulators on my friggon PSP! So emulators aren't exclusive to PC.

it may have but useing FFVii as a example can of burned you when you failed or for got that they did re-make FF7 in 2012 to run on Xp/Vista/7/8 with it being way suprior even though techical there still the same game (game play / story) only thing that change was graphics, audio, video rendering, and and re-writen code whitch made it more stable and smoother runing .. easier on the eyes and ears. well incressing fps and cleaning up jagged edges thanks to anti alising and other rendering options... Sounds like a soild win for PC gamers. 

Not really considering I was talking about the 1998 version. THAT version was NOT superior upon initial release. And that's all I've got to say about that.

it may have but useing FFVii as a example kind of burned you when you failed or forgot that they did re-make FF7 in 2012 to run on Xp/Vista/7/8 with it being way suprior even though techical there still the same game (game play / story) only thing that change was graphics, audio, video rendering, and and re-writen code whitch made it more stable and smoother running .. easier on the eyes and ears. well incressing fps and cleaning up jagged edges thanks to anti alising and other rendering options... Sounds like a soild win for PC gamers. 

BTW if you have not played the Remake... the ether Buy it or download it form some were... It's totally warrents the time spent to beat it. the remake is that amazing

I would but I just beat it on my PSP a few weeks ago lol. I may eventually but it's way too soon for me to do it now. I'd just get burnt out. Especially considering how much time I spent over-leveling. I could've pretty much skated through the rest of the game by the end of disc one.

I forgot to mention that all of those emulators you mention are available for Wii and consoles as well. As a matter of fact, I've got a perfectly running GB, GBC, GBA, SNES, NES, and GEN emulators on my friggon PSP! So emulators aren't exclusive to PC.

Not really considering I was talking about the 1998 version. THAT version was NOT superior upon initial release. And that's all I've got to say about that.

Well I know emulators are not PC exclusive. but to get the best rendering and sound qulity you sure need to play it on a PC...

DX9.c rendering with AA/AF support kills what the Console do for rendering (no AA/AF support)

also the 1998 version one again was better. you would know this if you played it on a PC that had Win98, 2xVodoo Cards in SLI (3dFX with Glide) and a Sound Blaster Pro. I said this 4 times now.. with no technial gliches to boot.

PSX 320x240p

Vodoo 2 in SLI = 1024x768

back in the day when most PC were Maybe 800x600

makes a huge diffrence

Edited by MadDoggyca

Well I know emulators are not PC exclusive. but to get the best rendering and sound qulity you sure need to play it on a PC...

DX rending kills what the Console do for rendering.

also the 1998 version one again was better. you would know this if you played it on a PC that had Win98, 2xVodoo Cards in SLI (3dFX with Glide) and a Sound Blaster Pro. I said this 4 times now.. with no technial gliches to boot.

Actually I did (Windows XP). And I found that the console version was better. Otherwise I wouldn't even be using this as an example. In my experience, I found the console version to be superior.

Also, the emulators sound great on PSP. I really don't notice an issue with sound quality. Of course there is when it comes to the N64. I won't disagree that the emulators are better for the PC though.

(Aside: It's funny that I join an MLP forum and spend more time discussing video games than MLP. Just thought that was funny.)

Look, I'll just drop it. I'll let y'all take it. Obviously my points aren't changing any view points, so I'll just take the loss here.

Edited by HailthornX

Actually I did (Windows XP). And I found that the console version was better. Otherwise I wouldn't even be using this as an example. In my experience, I found the console version to be superior.

Also, the emulators sound great on PSP. I really don't notice an issue with sound quality. Of course there is when it comes to the N64. I won't disagree that the emulators are better for the PC though.

thats your issue right there, PC Final fantasy 7 1998 was not desgied for XP, also 3dfx and Glide never made it to Xp ether. ATi (who bought out 3dfx chips) tried to do a Glide Wraper but it failed. There was Final Fantasy 7 Re-Master Edition (fan made) that tried to bring Hi-res as well as Xp patches but we all know how that went.

but that would explain why FF7 was a mess for you... FF8 would have been the same. since by default FF7 & ff8 has a 80% chance of stright up not working on a NT kernel  and if u did get it to work some how... it must have been one hell of a mickey mouse hack  job

you deffently would need the Re-make edition that acutally was desgned and supported for the windows nt kernel (xp-win8)

so no you never did acutally play FF7 (1998) on a pc (windows 95/98) with the above system specs I quoted earlier.

there is a big diffrence between 9.x kernel and nt kernel btw

heres a bigger shovel though.

FYi Im a "IT" A+, MST and hardware Specialist, as well as a software engineer

Edited by MadDoggyca

thats your issue right there, PC Final fantasy 7 1998 was not desgied for XP, also 3dfx and Glide never made it to Xp ether. ATi (who bought out 3dfx chips) tried to do a Glide Wraper but it failed. There was Final Fantasy 7 Re-Master Edition (fan made) that tried to bring Hi-res as well as Xp patches but we all know how that went.

but that would explain why FF7 was a mess for you... FF8 would have been the same. since by default FF7 & ff8 has a 80% chance of stright up not working on a NT kernel  and if u did get it to work some how... it must have been one hell of a mickey mouse hack  job

you deffently would need the Re-make edition that acutally was desgned and supported for the windows nt kernel (xp-win8)

so no you never did acutally play FF7 (1998) on a pc (windows 95/98) with the above system specs I quoted earlier.

there is a big diffrence between 9.x kernel and nt kernel btw

heres a bigger shovel though.

You're right. I could only go by personal experience and what I read. But I'm going to leave this alone now. I've agreed to take the loss.

You're right. I could only go by personal experience and what I read. But I'm going to leave this alone now. I've agreed to take the loss.

your a sport, and I love you..... Brohoof.

epic brohoof infact

mlfw1611-brohoof.gif

it was aaaawwwweeeeeessssoooommmm well it lasted and I need to say no more on the matter

Ah, I wasn't aware we were leaving patches out of the equation because, well, nobody serious about this subject would. There's hardly ever a game released anymore that doesn't need to be updated post-launch.

FYi Im a "IT" A+, MST and hardware Specialist, as well as a software engineer

I going to quote my self

I should not fail to mention that I HATE COMPUTERS.

back in the days it was cool and you were part of the elite, the few and far that had pcs let along gaming pcs and dial up internet were no one else had it.

made you feel proud to say "Man you have to play Wolfinsitne 3d or Doom, Maybe Chips quest, Free Ski, & kindom of Zork. And a bunch of other Killer titles,

Now ever one has a pc, people are losing there jobs, familes and there life to there PC. Its becuz of of the 10 mill + people that play WoW  is the reason why I hate pcs,

people that have AVG install or people that have 1000's of IE tool bars.

I use to enjoy working on PC and fixing issues, Now I don't want to see another PC ever again.

I wish I could just hang my skype up by a noose, tell my clients to take a hike, tell customers that are having personal pc problem that the only way they'll fix there pc is if they remove the user (them selfs) from using it. and burn my email inbox....

worst thing I hate the most is doing on site jobs.. makes me want to punch the owner in the face really hard...

And don't get me started on Cell phone use and there idiot users... There the reason why I boycotted in never wanted to own a cellphone or date some one that has a smartphone.

I didn't learn pc's over the past 20+ years so ever one else can fuck it up.. and thats what ever one did...

My dream..

To live in the contuery in a Log house on some acres with a few horses, chickens, cows (dariy and beef) a garden and never have to touch a pc or phone ever again..... lets face it there no money in that though.

Edited by MadDoggyca

(again, it's all about the games but people rather look at specs than the games themselves. Too bad. so Sad.

Not once did I ever talk about exclusives. I just said that the titles that are mutli-platform end up better on PC.

I play the hell out of my Wii. PC don't have Skyward Sword or Mario Galaxy.

But if it did, they'd be better on it.

Edited by DusK