Slowly disabling adblocker

Lost

I, like many others, have been using an adblocker on my browser for a long time, I started because of the per roll video adverts on YouTube.

The first website I disabled it for was this one and the ads don't bother me at all, I am a YouTube partner, so my videos have ads on them, I only actually make money from about 20% of my ads because most of them are getting blocked, so I've disabled my adblocker for YouTube too and honestly, that's not bothering me either, in fact I saw the trailer for the new game by bungie while it was still an unlisted video on youtube because of disabling adblocker.

I understand why people us and adblocker but it really does have an impact on real people, not just companies, why not disable it on your favourite websites and put it on pause when you are about to watch a video from your favourite YouTubers.

• Brohoof 3

I, like many others, have been using an adblocker on my browser for a long time, I started because of the per roll video adverts on YouTube.

The first website I disabled it for was this one and the ads don't bother me at all, I am a YouTube partner, so my videos have ads on them, I only actually make money from about 20% of my ads because most of them are getting blocked, so I've disabled my adblocker for YouTube too and honestly, that's not bothering me either, in fact I saw the trailer for the new game by bungie while it was still an unlisted video on youtube because of disabling adblocker.

I understand why people us and adblocker but it really does have an impact on real people, not just companies, why not disable it on your favourite websites and put it on pause when you are about to watch a video from your favourite YouTubers.

That's what I already do. I use adblockers on sites that are suspicious like ones that put up fake download links in the form of ad banners that are where you'd expect a legitimate download.

I have adblock set so that it only blocks ads that I say it can block. On pages where there's ads on both sides, on banners, and that scroll with you, I'll block them. But usually, I'll let them be.

If a site has ads that need the use of the adblocker I don't visit them.  I've yet to use an adblocker and with the absurd number of machines I use I find it pointless to keep track of all of it.

It kinda reminds me of how on a fan site of a web game (one of which had access to the actual company's PR) supported the usage of adblock on that site and argued that every single ad in existence is PPC and not PPV (pay per click/pay per view).

I dunno.

I can certainly see where you are coming from, but unfortunately, the market is going to continue to use this ad-blocker trend. Companies will have to find a way to market to the customers/make money in a more strategic way. I think when the first pop up and banner ads came up in the 90's, they had a 30% click rate. Today, that click rate is only about .45% (Not even half of a percent). This does not include ads that you can't click through (I.e you are forced to watch them) but my main point is: Perhaps they should attempt to make money in a more strategic way? 

I am not trying to be negative, but todays' generation wants fast and instantaneous results. Our tolerance for things such as enhanced service is becoming more diminished because some customers are becoming more results oriented, rather than service oriented (only in certain industries though). In regards to making money off of ads, we need to find a way to increase that .45% click rate! 

In relation to your post, I will consider re-adjusting my AdBlocker settings for sites I trust and normally visit. 

I've also been under the impression like with Harmonic Relations that a lot of ads these days don't really have anything of value.  Back in the early days ads were very relevant and had something interesting.  Nowadays it's stuff I've never heard about in China.

Plus I think too Google has a trend that if certain users abuse it (clicking too much) they'll disable Adsense completely.

I do not use adblocker at all. I use websites I want to support, and not the ones I do not respect (there are several Youtubers in particular whom I refuse to watch under any circumstances). Yeah, I have to watch ads a lot, but sometimes they're interesting or they're so ridiculous or unfitting that it's funny. Otherwise, I mute it and go on Tumblr or MLPForums until the ad is over. Ads make the internet work, and there's no way that I'm going to undermine that.

Oh, and Lost, I'm going to have to check out your Youtube channel now :P

Until websites stop with the intrusive ads (youtube) I'm keeping it on most websites.

I don't understand the ad system anyway, does the website get money from me clicking their ads (not gonna happen), or from the ads being in my face?