Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Profile comments

Zoop

Given that Feld0 recently reworked the commenting system on Pony.FM in such a way that it is now a tremendously simple task to add comments to just about anything, what would folks think about being able to leave comments on user profiles?

My thought was that having what could in some ways serve as a poor-man's version of the profile feeds available here on the forum could be a handy feature in some ways. I could see them being used for general comments about a particular artist's musical style, questions that are focused more at the artist him or herself rather than any particular track or album, and similar things.

Any thoughts on this? I think it could be a way to make the site feel a tiny bit more social in nature, but at the same time having fifty thousand areas for people to comment on things might be a bit much (songs/albums/profiles).

A per user option to enable or disable profile comments might not be a terrible idea if it the feature as a whole were to be given consideration.

• Brohoof 4

I support the idea of allowing users to have profile comments, just as long as they could choose to turn them on or off. If I understand correctly, at least for now, the pony.fm social community will be fairly integrated with MLP Forums specifically, but especially as pony.fm grows in the future and develops its own partially independent community for collaboration between brony musical artists, it would be convenient for them to be able to comment on one another's profiles. 

• Brohoof 1

Not only that, but some people simply are not very interested in forums as a whole, and in some cases shy away from using them completely - such is the case with a friend of mine, who despite having been active on the internet for the last fifteen years has never once made a single post on any forum despite having made use of things like Youtube comment feeds and such.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm... I don't know. Seeing that we are already able to comment on tracks, we're able to do the same thing there

I could see them being used for general comments about a particular artist's musical style

E.g. if I like a musicians style I could just say that in the comments on the track ^^

• Brohoof 2

Hmm... I don't know. Seeing that we are already able to comment on tracks, we're able to do the same thing there

E.g. if I like a musicians style I could just say that in the comments on the track ^^

I see where you're coming from, but what if someone wanted to discuss things with an author in a more general manner? The comments on an author's particular song wouldn't necessarily be the best place to do it. And, as zoop pointed out, some people shy away from forums, so they might not want to just send messages to people. So, being able to comment on profiles would provide that extra form of communication that those people could use. 

• Brohoof 1