Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Relating the Series to Real Life Situations

PinkiePieClone

(edited)

I was recently watching an episode of MLP (the one about the Grand Gallopping Gala), and something struck me. It was a scene that seemed so relatable, and though I usually relate to Pinkie Pie, this time I completely understood Twilight Sparkle. I'm a huge fan of Cyndi Lauper, much like Twilight's idiolizing of Princess Celestia. I was lucky enough to meet Cyndi multiple times, and do communicate through email from time to time. We've arranged meetings before..VIP passes, and such at her concerts. The first two times I met Cyndi, I had quite a long time with her, considering how busy she is. The first time I went on my own, and we spoke for over a half hour (a rough estimate, of course). The second time we met, I went with my boyfriend at the time, and he later said that we were there for almost a half hour. By now, I've gotten quite attached to her. She's a very motherly person, and much calmer and sweeter than you'd think off-stage...like a different person in some ways. There are even times that she seems to be a sort of mentor for me..she gives a lot of life advice through emails, just as Princess Celestia teaches Twilight about friendship through the quill. Every time I manage to actually see Cyndi in person (which isn't really often), I crave more time with her, especially lately. However, she's a very busy woman, and usually has to greet a crowd of people, so there isn't always much time to talk. Needless to say, the last few times were no longer than 10 minutes backstage (often much less), and only some of that time was spent with me. It's just like the little time Twilight had with Princess Celestia.

So I ask, have you ever noticed anything in MLP that seems so relatable to your life, or a situation you have been through? Obviously the writers want to make the show relatable...who would watch a show that wasn't relatable? Still, there are some things in MLP that seem so directly relatable that it's almost shocking.

Once again, I apologize if a topic like this has already been posted...

Edited by PinkiePieClone
  • Brohoof 1

I suppose the one thing that comes to mind for me is Apple Family Reunion, while I have never been in charge of a family reunion I knew exactly what Applejack was going through during that episode. I think the reason why she tried so hard to make everything perfect was to try to honor the memory of her parents and since my father passed away a year ago this episode really hit closer to home than any other episode I have seen so far. Ever since my fathers passing I have been thinking a great deal about both the past and the future, I feel that same desire Applejack felt to honor his memory and I believe the best way for me to do this is to follow my dreams of becoming an author. I know that my father would not want me to be an angry, bitter and stressed out dairy clerk/backup checker for the rest of my life and I know I don't want that either. He got to live out his passion as a restaurant owner and though my path is different from his I want that same pride in my work that he once took.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I suppose the one thing that comes to mind for me is Apple Family Reunion, while I have never been in charge of a family reunion I knew exactly what Applejack was going through during that episode. I think the reason why she tried so hard to make everything perfect was to try to honor the memory of her parents and since my father passed away a year ago this episode really hit closer to home than any other episode I have seen so far. Ever since my fathers passing I have been thinking a great deal about both the past and the future, I feel that same desire Applejack felt to honor his memory and I believe the best way for me to do this is to follow my dreams of becoming an author. I know that my father would not want me to be an angry, bitter and stressed out dairy clerk/backup checker for the rest of my life and I know I don't want that either. He got to live out his passion as a restaurant owner and though my path is different from his I want that same pride in my work that he once took.

I'm terribly sorry about your father's passing. I have a friend who lost her mother when she was only 17 years old. Her father now is dying of lung cancer, despite the fact that he never even smoked. Your post was very touching. It makes me realize I should probably respect my parents more...but...sometimes...

My condolences, nonetheless.

Edited by PinkiePieClone
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, that makes two of us. Applejack as a whole, is very relatable to me because I know what it's like to lose family. My father passed away when I was barely 14 and it was the hardest thing I ever had to face. From that point on, it was just me, my mother and my two brothers, so I lived in a really similar situation as Applejack and her small but humble family. Apple Family Reunion is the one episode that really speaks to me the most.

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 2

Well I personally find the series as a whole pretty relatable. I mean even as early as the 1st episode I find it relatable.

I can relate to Twilight in some ways, because for a while I just had given up on friendship, but watching the show has shown me how great it can really be. Even though I still don't really truly have any IRL friends, I still believe I'll find some!

I take the lessons in the ends of the episodes and try to apply them though, they work in alot of scenarios I find.

(edited)

@ PPC. Same here. I love Cindy Lauper as well. Worn out many a tape/CD but never got a chance to go to a concert.

Back on topic..

I relate to Luna the most but as far as parts of the show. I'd say I can relate to Spike trying to find out more about himself and having to search far and wide for answers only to discover that it was closer to home then we thought

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 1

i find the CMC  kind of relatable,  being that i am graduating fairly soon and i still have not found anything in particular that i am actually good at. Sure i'm in a couple advanced placement courses but they don't seem to get me anywhere. and it doesn't matter what i really try i can't seem to find anything that i could consider a talent. or the thing that i would like to do out of high school.

@ PPC. Same here. I love Cindy Lauper as well. Worn out many a tape/CD but never got a chance to go to a concert.

Back on topic..

I relate to Luna the most but as far as parts of the show. I'd say I can relate to Spike trying to find out more about himself and having to search far and wide for answers only to discover that it was closer to home then we thought

Do you know her too? Or do you mean you are a fan? Either way, it's really nice to see another Cyndi Lauper fan here! She has a Twitter, by the way. If you're interested, I can PM you her Twitter name...or you can just search. :P

Just thought I'd throw that in! Back to the topic!

I wasn't a child when my mom died from cancer. I was 17 at the time, but that's still way too young to lost a parent. Also, I was an only child so it was just my dad and I after that. I didn't have to assume any special role in looking after younger siblings. So in that sense, my situation has little in common with Applejack's. Nonetheless, in the normal order of life events, nobody expects parents to die before they are well into adulthood themselves.

The other negative stuff in my youth was mostly a mix of the others' issues like Fluttershy getting harassed and Twilight’s social isolation.  The simple fact that life isn't always a bed of roses and that MLP:FiM expresses this so well is one of the things that makes the cartoon something fans can identify with.