Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

lunatic's digital art.

Lunatic

hey guys. i just got my drawing tablet and i've been starting to draw on it a little bit! i'm comepletely new at this but give me your worst. here is what i got so far. i would like some tips and critics. 

post-1283-0-90199600-1369775986_thumb.jpgpost-1283-0-71136700-1369775990_thumb.jpg

post-1283-0-40454000-1369778308_thumb.jpgpost-1283-0-62058400-1369778313_thumb.jpg

i'm not sure if its better or worse with the sketch in the background. 

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Hm, I would say that your two Soarin drawings are the best, but that may just be because the other two deal with a more difficult angle of looking at the ponies' heads. Overall, I would say bravo, definitely for being completely new with a tablet. It can be very difficult to draw on those things, I've tried (and failed epically - but hey, cut me a break: I'm no artist like you clearly are :P).

Edited by Canibroni
  • Brohoof 2

My best tip would be to continue to experiment and draw with your tablet. The biggest issue I'm sure you're trying to get used to is the alien feel of drawing not only on a slippery surface, but also the tablet manipulation on screen feeling. In due time you'll get used to this and it'll become second nature, much like when we first play a video game. 

I've taken a look at your other drawings and you may feel as though you're struggling with this new, alien medium. Just take it simple for the first tidbits and then expand as you gain experience. Your contour lines are a big jagged but these will disappear as you become used to the tablet itself but what you can do is simply get used to drawing straight and curved lines. Just, literally, start a new canvas and just toy around with drawing lines - Big ones, small ones, curves, circles, thin, thick, straight, jagged, any and all lines you can think of! Don't worry about perfection, just let yourself go and observe how the tools you're experimenting behaves. 

A deeper understanding of how to manipulate a medium will give you better control and help dispel the alien. It won't be an overnight change, but it's a start. I'd suggest posting what program you're drawing in so that we can give you suggestions such as shortcuts and so fourth. 

• Brohoof 2

Hm, I would say that your two Soarin drawings are the best, but that may just be because the other two deal with a more difficult angle of looking at the ponies' heads. Overall, I would say bravo, definitely for being completely new with a tablet. It can be very difficult to draw on those things, I've tried (and failed epically - but hey, cut me a break: I'm no artist like you clearly are tongue.png).

to be honest... i'm actually a programmer tongue.png but thats a great compliment! biggrin.png

i also did a little update on soarin to improve it. although he looks fat like this i think..

post-1283-0-31006000-1369784358_thumb.jpg

My best tip would be to continue to experiment and draw with your tablet. The biggest issue I'm sure you're trying to get used to is the alien feel of drawing not only on a slippery surface, but also the tablet manipulation on screen feeling. In due time you'll get used to this and it'll become second nature, much like when we first play a video game. 

I've taken a look at your other drawings and you may feel as though you're struggling with this new, alien medium. Just take it simple for the first tidbits and then expand as you gain experience. Your contour lines are a big jagged but these will disappear as you become used to the tablet itself but what you can do is simply get used to drawing straight and curved lines. Just, literally, start a new canvas and just toy around with drawing lines - Big ones, small ones, curves, circles, thin, thick, straight, jagged, any and all lines you can think of! Don't worry about perfection, just let yourself go and observe how the tools you're experimenting behaves. 

A deeper understanding of how to manipulate a medium will give you better control and help dispel the alien. It won't be an overnight change, but it's a start. I'd suggest posting what program you're drawing in so that we can give you suggestions such as shortcuts and so fourth. 

thanks a lot. i didnt expect anyone to actually take their time and write down some really detailed help. i will certainly listen to it. its getting late for me now so i will draw some more tomorrow. (ontop of that i'm sick to...) but yea, i'll try just drawing lines, i did however try to better the jagged lines with the new soarin that you can see above here. the people from my rp said that it was a great improvement although i like the jagged style its of course a bit simple and needs improvement. 

as for the program that i'm drawing with, thats photoshop. i had some simple classes in photoshop a few years back so i felt comfortable working in there. as for the alien feeling of the drawing tablet i have one with a screen so a lot of the alien feeling is getting replaced by actually seeing where you're drawing. it really comes in handy although there is a little bit of latency, but barely noticable. 

thanks for the help! 

post-1283-0-29428800-1369784742_thumb.jpg

post-1283-0-34142700-1369843086_thumb.jpg

hello again, i made another picture from the dr whooves tumblr. i've drawn this one on paper quite a lot so i thought i should give it a try on the digital tablet. i also tried to make sure its not to jagged but more straight lines. i think it worked out quite well although it looks very simple. but ahh well its good and im satisfied! not suffering from the artist effect yet. (its where the artist never likes their own work. its really common on my school) 

You have a tablet?

You. Have. A. TABLET?!

No fair! I want one ...

Anyways, on subject, the art is definitely very good, better than mine. Of course, I'm not that good at drawing ponies. All I would really say is to keep practicing, I definitely see a lot of potential in your stuff.

and i have another picture up and going. 

its a humanised vinyl from the maffia octavia tumblr. 

first human that i drew that actually looks close to decent. 

post-1283-0-83549800-1369844505_thumb.jpg

You have a tablet?

You. Have. A. TABLET?!

No fair! I want one ...

Anyways, on subject, the art is definitely very good, better than mine. Of course, I'm not that good at drawing ponies. All I would really say is to keep practicing, I definitely see a lot of potential in your stuff.

i got this from my brithday and some extra money from myself! 

http://www.wacom.com/creative/products/pen-displays/cintiq/cintiq-13hd

i'm so happy with it and i'm making even artist jelous:P even my art teacher. 

Hello!

You're doing really good, especially for the first time using a tablet!

Some tips - 

1. Don't do the sketchy looking lines when doing your final linework! Try to make it as neat as possible. Move your arms quickly when drawing straight lines. Make sure to do just one, confident lines.

2. Learn anatomy. Apparently there's an awesome thread here with a lot of useful drawing guides in it. Scroll down to the 

-Anatomy- part and look through the references. 

http://mlpforums.com/topic/56189-pony-artist-resources/

Here's some lineart and colour tutorial I found very useful, and would like to share with everone here img-1508299-1-biggrin.png

Lineart tutorial (Skip to the digital part)

http://suzuran.deviantart.com/art/Lineart-and-SAI-tutorial-134457330

Shading guide (Very good tutorial, covers just about everything you need to know about lighting and stuffs)

http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Giant-Shading-Tutorial-251104611

When you're colouring in digital, make a new layer for every new colour. That makes it easier to manage and shade them later.

You should be starting out with Gimp (free program) or Paint Tool SAI (I use this, it's not free btw. But I'm sure there are tons of download links out there xD)

Hope this is helpful ^^

I don't really know whats bad about sketchy lines, unless you're going for a clean feel. I still like to keep the "sketched" feeling even with my digital, seeing as how I start FROM a sketch and reform it digitally.

Oh, and that anatomy thread will help me, too probably! :D

Hello!

You're doing really good, especially for the first time using a tablet!

Some tips - 

1. Don't do the sketchy looking lines when doing your final linework! Try to make it as neat as possible. Move your arms quickly when drawing straight lines. Make sure to do just one, confident lines.

2. Learn anatomy. Apparently there's an awesome thread here with a lot of useful drawing guides in it. Scroll down to the 

-Anatomy- part and look through the references. 

http://mlpforums.com/topic/56189-pony-artist-resources/

Here's some lineart and colour tutorial I found very useful, and would like to share with everone here img-1508299-1-biggrin.png

Lineart tutorial (Skip to the digital part)

http://suzuran.deviantart.com/art/Lineart-and-SAI-tutorial-134457330

Shading guide (Very good tutorial, covers just about everything you need to know about lighting and stuffs)

http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Giant-Shading-Tutorial-251104611

When you're colouring in digital, make a new layer for every new colour. That makes it easier to manage and shade them later.

You should be starting out with Gimp (free program) or Paint Tool SAI (I use this, it's not free btw. But I'm sure there are tons of download links out there xD)

Hope this is helpful ^^

thanks a lot for these tips they will come to great help and i will check out all of them,

although i'm not going to switch programs just yet, so far photoshop is really handy and my tablet has some really cool standert settings with it witch i use quite a lot. also, i have adobe for a reason. 

Knowing the anatomy of what you are drawing will help A TON!!! Other than that unless you are trying to make it for something like the OC database, sketch lines are what makes the picture. It's just a different art style that I'm sure quite a few people like (myself included, I just don't know how to make it look nice on my own drawings :) ) that kind of art style. It can actually make a drawing look much better if done correctly so just keep on keepin' on! img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

• Brohoof 1

Knowing the anatomy of what you are drawing will help A TON!!! Other than that unless you are trying to make it for something like the OC database, sketch lines are what makes the picture. It's just a different art style that I'm sure quite a few people like (myself included, I just don't know how to make it look nice on my own drawings smile.png ) that kind of art style. It can actually make a drawing look much better if done correctly so just keep on keepin' on! img-1508942-1-img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

thanks for the tip. i have looked at some other tips on how to draw ponies but i have yet to go and do a real tutorial. but here's another pony face! :D 

post-1283-0-55149500-1369941255_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

So everything that looks like this is done from your tablet? If so very impressive!! Much easier to make a drawing using a computer because you can get so detailed.

to be honest i feel like i have more control over the picture when i'm drawing with my pencil. although making straight lines with my pencil is harder. i have to practice that. i'll do that probebly tomorrow at school. 

post-1283-0-87666000-1369951313_thumb.jpg

this compared to the latest luna one i think is a lot more controled. 

• Brohoof 1

You should feel like you have more control with a pencil because you do! I find that it is much harder to draw on tablets then you would think. If you excuse me, I will be listening to MLP songs and drawing the mane 6. (No bronydom going on here.)

You should feel like you have more control with a pencil because you do! I find that it is much harder to draw on tablets then you would think. If you excuse me, I will be listening to MLP songs and drawing the mane 6. (No bronydom going on here.)

send me a private messege when you're done or if you have a tread yourself then send me a little link. i'd love to see how you draw laugh.png

say hello to spitfire.

gosh this was incredibely hard but i think i did quite well. 

post-1283-0-49620400-1370117089_thumb.jpg

this is my first full body picture, tell me what you think of it :) 

say hello to spitfire.

gosh this was incredibely hard but i think i did quite well. 

attachicon.gifspitfire_seventh_try.jpg

this is my first full body picture, tell me what you think of it smile.png

So you wanted a reply to your post, so I thought I would be a nice guy and drop by to say something about your drawings. In picture form. 

So you wanted a reply to your post, so I thought I would be a nice guy and drop by to say something about your drawings. In picture form. 

post-1283-0-29904500-1370126722.gif

(i have to type something to get to the 100 characters this is rediculas and it makes me wonder why this is even here.bananacake.)

allright, so today i have brought my tablet to school and my artist friend is helping me with coloring!

post-1283-0-79513600-1370347543_thumb.jpg

so this is crazy pinkie here to test everything out.

then i got another humanised vinyl. next one up is going to be a full body pony if possable. 

all the ponyhate that i got on school has brought me down a bit but i'll try.

post-1283-0-19688000-1370347546_thumb.jpg

Wow, you're drawings are pretty darn good for just getting a tablet! Better than mine were, for sure! x] I like to think I'm doing better than then though!

thank you, but i had some help from real artist students though so it was quite a lot of fun. i tried to draw again today without much succes. i might try again tomorrow.

but if your picture is self drawn then you are quite better then i am. but i feel like i'm improving so this should be interesting.

hello again, i drew big mac this time. i showed it to a friend of mine who said it looked a bit "hard" or to "digitalised" i'm not really sure what that means or how i prevent that. or should i support that? i donno. i think it looked quite good. also did some minor background this time. tell me what you think please. :)

post-1283-0-88553200-1370685296_thumb.jpg