Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A lot like fluttershy

SoundRaptured

(edited)

Hey guys. I just started drawing again today for the first time this year, and I'm not too proud of the last one.. but hey you can recognize they're supposed to be ponies right? its my first time drawing ponies so don't be too harsh.

post-15678-0-54279300-1370131173_thumb.jpg

post-15678-0-72709800-1370131189_thumb.jpg

post-15678-0-45102400-1370131250_thumb.jpg

I know I don't really have talent, but hey it's just a fun side thing. and yes, my signature's in there, not because I think it's good but because I have an ocd thing that someone else will actually think its good and use it. besides it looks fancy smile.png

wow the eraser marks are bad. but I can probably edit those out if I had some software right?

Edited by SoundRaptured
  • Brohoof 8

I think you're off to a great start!

Something that I find to be invaluable when drawing anything is to have a reference image available. That way, I can draw part of the image and compare it side-by-side with the reference.

Overall though, your best friend in art is practice, so keep at it! happy.png

• Brohoof 2

I think you're off to a great start!

Something that I find to be invaluable when drawing anything is to have a reference image available. That way, I can draw part of the image and compare it side-by-side with the reference.

Overall though, your best friend in art is practice, so keep at it! happy.png

Good idea, I just find doing the angles different difficult. thanks though I'll keep that in mind since I'll probably be doing a lot of fluttershy art :D thanks!!!

• Brohoof 1

These are pretty good.

Like eightbithoof said,try using

reference material to go off of,it is a lot easier

than drawing without ref.

Practice makes perfect,we can't all be Picasos or Van gohs.

The erase lines would be much more invisible if you colored the sketch.

Here's a suggestion! Try listening to something when drawing,

it helps a lot.

All I can say is practice!!

Keep up the good work!!

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I guess I'll make this my regular art thread. if that's ok.

This one has a horrible story behind it that I'm sure has happened to a lot of people.

So I drew the picture; it was perfect! I couldn't ask for it to be better unless I was a professional artist. so by my standards it was great.

then I decided to color it.

WORST. DECISION. EVER.

her skin turned out to be equivalent to applejack's skin. it was horrifying. my great piece of art was ruined.

and so I had to basically trace and create a new version of the picture. it's not as good as the original, but at least she isn't glowing orange. and I kinda got the coloring right, too, just the tail's a bit faded. or maybe that was my scanner.

post-15678-0-60923900-1370140049_thumb.jpg

EDIT: I've found a way to kinda get rid of some of the eraser marks and stray marks etc. so this one is better:

post-15678-0-75999400-1370141257_thumb.jpg

Yeah I know it looks like she ate somepony for lunch. my bad. there's always something.

P.S. I changed my signature to my current username (kind of)so if anypony deciphered my old sig it was my full name.. don't want that!

This one hardly took me like half an hour! it was really easy, but it shows as it's really sketchy. like lots of unnecessary pencil marks around the arms etc. but hey this was mainly for fun. I pre-did all the erasing things I do on my paint. biggrin.png

post-15678-0-22666500-1370221389_thumb.jpg

yeah this is obviously based off a picture but lol I'm getting better I think so that's nice smile.png

Edited by SoundRaptured
  • Brohoof 2

They look great! I've just started drawing ponies, as well. I use reference images at first and then play with them and make my own. I also listen to music, like CrazytheRandomPony suggested. Sometimes I just open my window and listen to the rain, too. It's relaxing :)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

This is a great start on your art! (Heh, I rhymed) If you keep it up and practice more you can get very good in no time! You just have to have the patience... patience is the key smile.png

EDIT: Oh, look! I'm a squirrel now! xD

Edited by Vinyl Scratch (Filly)™
  • Brohoof 1

I guess I'll make this my regular art thread. if that's ok.

This one has a horrible story behind it that I'm sure has happened to a lot of people.

So I drew the picture; it was perfect! I couldn't ask for it to be better unless I was a professional artist. so by my standards it was great.

then I decided to color it.

WORST. DECISION. EVER.

her skin turned out to be equivalent to applejack's skin. it was horrifying. my great piece of art was ruined.

and so I had to basically trace and create a new version of the picture. it's not as good as the original, but at least she isn't glowing orange. and I kinda got the coloring right, too, just the tail's a bit faded. or maybe that was my scanner.

Nice!! Another fine piece of work!!

As for the coloring part,i have some suggestions.

I have been there a lot,start coloring and then you realize that is the wrong color

To fix this,i usually try to color over it,but orange is a hard color to color over.

As for making sure you get the right color,pick out all the different types of that color

and test them out on a different piece of paper and compare them to the color of your picture.

like this

(Ignore the writing)

It may look like those reds are all the same,but

they are not.These are different shades or types of red.

For example the names of the reds.

This one is called red hot inferno

This one is just called red

This one is called mahogany

You gotta test them out,to compare which

one best suits the picture.

Just a suggestion,it helps a lot.

Also another suggestion would be to get more colored

pencils.

I hope this helped!

Practice and keep up the good work!!!

laugh.png laugh.png

• Brohoof 1

Your work is well interesting to look at. Not to sound mean but like you said you really do need work. I would also take the advice the others above you have mentioned they really do help. Hope to see progress in your drawings. Never give up and trust your instincts! Can't wait to see more from you. ;)

You gotta test them out,to compare which

one best suits the picture.

Just a suggestion,it helps a lot.

Also another suggestion would be to get more colored

pencils.

I hope this helped!

Practice and keep up the good work!!!

img-1522559-1-laugh.png img-1522559-2-laugh.png

I did do that, I just need to buy more colors as I haven't in like five years so who knows what I'm missing. I just couldn't find the right tan for her skin.

For not drawing in a very long time. Yeah I think you are doing just awesome biggrin.png keep going and you are going to become even greater wink.png

Your work is well interesting to look at. Not to sound mean but like you said you really do need work. I would also take the advice the others above you have mentioned they really do help. Hope to see progress in your drawings. Never give up and trust your instincts! Can't wait to see more from you. wink.png

Thanks everypony :D I didn't think people would like it that much. I'll keep trying!!! :)

• Brohoof 1

post-15678-0-92994000-1370579126_thumb.jpg

post-15678-0-37353000-1370579129_thumb.jpg

I tried watercolors. well my mom always says if you make a mistake it's ok the first time just don't do it again. such is the case. XD I mean it kinda gives it more life but.. eh. I'm no artist. I just like drawing. sorry about all the scribbleyness btw, Its late and I'm too lazy to fix it. XD I'm kinda proud of it though. 

• Brohoof 1