Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Microsoft's latest "Open mouth, insert foot" moment

Bhending the Rules

I know I've been an outspoken critic of Microsoft's Xbox One strategy so some people may not see me as the most objective observer, BUT...

Seriously, have a look at this.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/don%E2%80%99t-have-internet-microsoft%E2%80%99s-solution-get-xbox-360

Honestly, I can not think of a single example of such clear arrogance coming from a game console manufacturer. I read these quotes and my jaw just about hit the floor.

Do the suits at Microsoft seriously not recognize the fact that the VAST majority of people who would be interested in their games already have an Xbox 360? Do they seriously see saying "too bad, you're shut out" to folks who can't be online every day as a sound business strategy for the next 5-7 years? Does anything about this leave anyone with the impression that Microsoft's "made by gamers, for gamers" line is anything other than disingenuous lip service?

This is just... incredible.

• Brohoof 7

Wow.

Is that a real quote?

Never mind the sheer WTF-ness of that plan, the arrogance of the statement is what gets me. Maybe it's just me, but I imagine the rep saying that line in a tone reserved for children.

• Brohoof 1

They remarked and reacted the same way when Windows 8 have launched. Although there's plenty of reason to believe that the whole Windows 8 fiasco was blown out of proportion, their staff's reaction over the public disagreement has been far from graceful.

Wow.

Is that a real quote?

Never mind the sheer WTF-ness of that plan, the arrogance of the statement is what gets me. Maybe it's just me, but I imagine the rep saying that line in a tone reserved for children.

Yes, it's real. On that page you'll find a link to a pre-E3 video interview. I watched the whole thing. It didn't sound any better in context.

(edited)

I've heard of shooting yourself in the foot, but I think this guy just took a rocket launcher to his. 

Who the hell do these guys think they are? Sure, they have the money and the consumer base to say that, but getting away with it is another matter. 

People already own the 360, and people like myself who have a decent connection will still play offline...As I type this my xbox is sat in my front room, connected to the main television, instead of connected to live in my room. If they're taking that away from us, simple thing is we're not going to buy the new generation console, and Micro$oft are gonna be wondering why. 

Absolute morons - the most annoying part is the world today is stupid enough to buy it too. "Duh ma gawd, new consowe! Must get duh internetz to play gamez wiv" FUCK humanity pisses me off sometimes. 

Edited by Creeping Dusk

Yes, this whole thing is quite unbelievable. I mean, I'm not a fan of Xbox, never have been, but I've always respected it as a system. That is just too much, going too far and it definitely makes me NEVER want to buy anything Xbox related. Shame on him, just shame..

Xbox One is just.. Ugh, I don't even have words for it and that was just the deal sealer.

That is just unbelievable. For a businessman, that is just unprofessional and rather disappointing.

I can't believe people will still get this device. When PS4 and the Wii U get more sales than the Xbox One, Microsoft may stop being so damn arrogant.

• Brohoof 1

They're treating their customers like shit due to greed. They want money from transactions they're not entitled to money from. They're actually laws protecting the re-sale of goods and I wouldn't be surprised if they got in deep legal trouble for this move before it's all over.

In order to salvage things, they need to either remove all this DRM, or drop the prices on the system and the games absurdly low to make it worth dealing with. I'm talking a couple hundred dollars for the system, and like $15 launch retail on the games($5-$7.50 after price drops.)  

I can't decide who the bigger jackasses are Microsoft for this blatant show of contempt or Sony patenting software that renders used games worthless, do these geniuses actually know how to communicate with their consumers with anything other than a big fat fuck you to everyone that has ever bought their products or that might consider buying their products?

This is really making me wonder just how this will influence their latest console and their competitors. 

There's people who will switch to the PS4 due to the Xbox One's sheer ridiculous demands and Micro$ofts arrogance. 

People like myself who will just hunker down with their 360 for as long as it'll last until something more appealing (and less stupid than the Xbox One) comes along. 

And then there are people who'll still buy the Xbox One because of their favourite Xbox exclusive games or indifference to Micro$ofts greed. 

I honestly cannot believe they would say something like that and just expect people to accept it, I mean...I know the general vibe todays generation of gamers gives off is completely idiotic, but seriously there's a limit! 

Video game developers haven't made such a blunder in their announcements since that whole Atari 'Take it out and blow on it' bit.

That reminds me, I heard that Microsoft has a new slogan for the Xbox One "take it out and" I think you can figure out the rest if you replace the words "on it" with "me".

That reminds me, I heard that Microsoft has a new slogan for the Xbox One "take it out and" I think you can figure out the rest if you replace the words "on it" with "me".

I'm surprised they put enough effort to get a slogan. After all, I originally assumed they just glued the letter "X" on an old VHS player when I first saw the thing.

This sums up the interview 

Blah, blah, fuck off if you don't have a great internet connection 

Blah, blah, we did so much research of what people liked <<bullshit

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah a bunch of other horse manure.

• Brohoof 1

It isn't the developers, not usually. It's the publishers - the suits who are in charge of marketing. They're the ones making the blunders.

As for the article itself, I think I've had about enough of 'next-gen'. I'll keep informed until they're released, but at this point I'm not too impressed by the console scene's current behavior. All I hope is it doesn't leech over to the PC market.

Xbone has a big chance of going the way of Sega Saturn, Atari Jaguar and 3DO if they dont do something about it and change their policies

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this...and I mean quite a lot of hate. But...I don't see what's so bad. I'm not getting an Xbox One, and I'm completely indifferent on the issue. I despise Sony, so I obviously want nothing to do with them. I find it interesting how when Sony acts a bit sassy, it's fine and totally mature. But, when Microsoft does it, it's the end of the world and they're suddenly the worst company ever. Seriously, Sony acted immature as hell at the E3 conference, yet no one cares, annoying as hell to me. I may own an Xbox 360, but I'm not trying kiss ass here. I have always despised Sony. Microsoft is....alright. Nintendo is cool, though. Also, I'm getting a PC instead of either console (couldn't pay me to have a PS4), so you can't use the whole, "you're an idiot for buying an Xbox One". 

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this...and I mean quite a lot of hate. But...I don't see what's so bad. I'm not getting an Xbox One, and I'm completely indifferent on the issue. I despise Sony, so I obviously want nothing to do with them. I find it interesting how when Sony acts a bit sassy, it's fine and totally mature. But, when Microsoft does it, it's the end of the world and they're suddenly the worst company ever. Seriously, Sony acted immature as hell at the E3 conference, yet no one cares, annoying as hell to me. I may own an Xbox 360, but I'm not trying kiss ass here. I have always despised Sony. Microsoft is....alright. Nintendo is cool, though. Also, I'm getting a PC instead of either console (couldn't pay me to have a PS4), so you can't use the whole, "you're an idiot for buying an Xbox One". 

The idea that Sony gets a pass is absurd. They were extremely arrogant in how they conducted the PS3 launch, and subsequently got clobbered in sales by the 360 and the Wii just one generation after the PS2 was the biggest console on the planet.

People are flocking to them right now because regardless of how they're behaving, their console is far more consumer friendly than the Xbox One, and Microsoft seems to be going out of their way to alienate as many people as possible for no reason other than that they think they can get away with it. Consumers will act in their own self-interest, and right now that self-interest compels them to side with Sony over Microsoft until Microsoft comes to their senses. It's really that simple.

• Brohoof 3

~Words and stuff~

I can't speak for everyone, but I know the biggest thing for me is - I just don't pay attention to Sony. Things I hear about them slide right off my back, I just don't care for them so I don't pay attention to anything they do. Micro$oft (no I won't type that any other way!) however, I pay attention to because I (used) to look forward to their next announcements, because it generally meant something better was coming along for us to entertain ourselves with.

The demands being made by the Xbox One are completely unreasonable for a lot of people to consider purchasing, for little to no real improvement. They're trying to turn the Xbox into a PC, for some reason. It's a gaming console, not a web browser, why can't people seem to understand that? If I want to play games, I go to my Xbox. If I want to browse the web, I use my mac. Why is that so hard to grasp? 

Finally for Micro$oft to come out and say something so arrogant and ignorant as that, basically says "We're done even pretending to care about you guys now, we're not even trying to hide the fact we just want your money" 

(edited)

Oh I have a bone to pick with Sony as well - they aren't absolved from blame, as they're making blunders too. It's just that Microsoft is desperately trying to make their blunders more loud and obnoxious, and it's showing. Not to mention, it's making more than its competition, and from this article I'm almost convinced they're taking it in stride.

If I didn't know any better I'd wonder if they were doing it for the attention.

Edited by Durandal

The idea that Sony gets a pass is absurd. They were extremely arrogant in how they conducted the PS3 launch, and subsequently got clobbered in sales by the 360 and the Wii just one generation after the PS2 was the biggest console on the planet.

People are flocking to them right now because regardless of how they're behaving, their console is far more consumer friendly than the Xbox One, and Microsoft seems to be going out of their way to alienate as many people as possible for no reason other than that they think they can get away with it. Consumers will act in their own self-interest, and right now that self-interest compels them to side with Sony over Microsoft until Microsoft comes to their senses. It's really that simple.

These are true things. While I have fond memories of my PS2, and the PS's always have better exclusives than the Xbox, Sony is also guilty of some heavy bullshit.

It's really the lesser of two evils in this case; "which console is more usable" seems to be the question fueling this console war, which is unfortunate.

• Brohoof 1

Finally for Micro$oft to come out and say something so arrogant and ignorant as that, basically says "We're done even pretending to care about you guys now, we're not even trying to hide the fact we just want your money" 

It's not even that they want our money which bothers me as that is pretty much a given even for Nintendo which has avoided making any major dick moves unlike Microsoft and Sony at least that I am aware of, but it is that they have such contempt for their own customers that they think that they will just buy the Xbox One anyway regardless of how much bull they are trying to unload on them. I don't care that they don't care about me but I do care that they don't to such a comical extent as to abandon all logic and common sense.

• Brohoof 2