Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pulp Sci-Fi Ponies

Fhaolan

(edited)

Okay, I had to do this. @@CITRUS KING46 inspired me.

The idea being ponified pulp sci-fi characters. This is the first in a series, as I know what three of them are going to be, I have an idea on a fourth, and the last two haven't made themselves known to me.

I'm not a skilled artist, I just draw on occasion when something in my head needs to come out, and I simply don't do it often enough.

RainbowFlash2.png

This one is Flash Gordon + Rainbow Dash = Rainbow Flash

The Flash Gordon costume is from the cover of Volume 1 of the collected original Alex Raymond comic strips from 1937 on.

The picture is pencil with a tiny bit of charcoal. No digital effects, outside of the text. The text is a free font digitally added because I didn't have the guts to try to draw that as well, faded to better match the pencils.

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 9

Cool! It's great you used some charcoal as well, nice to see some pony artists who use that. Some suggestions- 

The wings look a little too big. But that'll go with practice. 

The eyes are a little awkward-looking, maybe a little small. But, once again, practice makes perfect!

Hope this helped! :)

~Sweet Dreams

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Okay. Part 2 of the series of Pulp Sci-Fi Ponies.

AppleBuck.png

This one is Buck Rogers + Applejack = AppleBuck, in the 25th Century

The Buck Rogers costume is one of the variants from the Buck Rogers newspaper strip from the 1930's. This costume was a bit annoying, because the pants are supposed to be old-fashioned jodhpurs. Putting jodhpurs on a pony is just so... weird. Not sure if it came across correctly.

Oh, and reading @@Sweet Dreams post, I realized I had mucked up and didn't actually fill in the iris on the first picture, so I've corrected that in my first post. Thanks Sweet Dreams!  I didn't correct the wings, as with those I reached a frustration point on. img-1564620-1-huh.png The show way of drawing wings is just so far away from my own personal style that I struggle with those. I'll get better at it, but sometimes you just have to stop fiddling with a single drawing and move on. img-1564620-2-wink.png

EDIT: Ah shoot. Just noticed her freckles aren't showing up in the scan. I'll see if I can emphasize them more and scan it again.

EDIT2: Better. Again, moving on to the next drawing, or I'll start obsessing.

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 6

Okay. Part 2 of the series of Pulp Sci-Fi Ponies.

attachicon.gifAppleBuck.png

This one is Buck Rogers + Applejack = AppleBuck, in the 25th Century

The Buck Rogers costume is one of the variants from the Buck Rogers newspaper strip from the 1930's. This costume was a bit annoying, because the pants are supposed to be old-fashioned jodhpurs. Putting jodhpurs on a pony is just so... weird. Not sure if it came across correctly.

Oh, and reading @@Sweet Dreams post, I realized I had mucked up and didn't actually fill in the iris on the first picture, so I've corrected that in my first post. Thanks Sweet Dreams!  I didn't correct the wings, as with those I reached a frustration point on. img-1564620-1-huh.png The show way of drawing wings is just so far away from my own personal style that I struggle with those. I'll get better at it, but sometimes you just have to stop fiddling with a single drawing and move on. img-1564620-2-wink.png

EDIT: Ah shoot. Just noticed her freckles aren't showing up in the scan. I'll see if I can emphasize them more and scan it again.

EDIT2: Better. Again, moving on to the next drawing, or I'll start obsessing.

Oh my god... Buck f***ing Rogers... You, sir, have created something great. You made my day.

But, uh, yeah... I was also kinda disappointed. You see, due to the topic's name, I came in here expecting John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson. I did not receive John Travolta or Samuel L. Jackson.

Oh my god... Buck f***ing Rogers... You, sir, have created something great. You made my day.

But, uh, yeah... I was also kinda disappointed. You see, due to the topic's name, I came in here expecting John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson. I did not receive John Travolta or Samuel L. Jackson.

Gotcha. I think I've edited the topic title now to be less misleading. Sorry about that. It didn't occur to me as I was reading pulps long before that movie came out, and I tended to deal with the sci-fi ones rather than the hardboiled ones. sad.png

Though.... hardboiled pulp ponies... No, no. Got too much to do already. I need to get these sci-fi ones all out of my head first. If I start down the road of doing all the pulp genres.... I'll end up in either in Railroad, or Romance pulps and my brain will go mush.

Okay, Part 3:

Cartier.png

We have here John Carter + Rarity = Cartier of Mars. Name suggested by my wife.

The John Carter costume is from the original cover of the 'A Princess of Mars' novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, 1917. With a bit of futzing because I thought a tartan was more amusing than a plain brown blanket, and Rarity insisted on at least part of Dejah's headpiece from the same picture.

Her mane & tail are a serious pain, really.

Let's see, three more to go. From here on we get a bit more obscure.

• Brohoof 2

How delightful! Cartier is Best Pony.

What's next, Pink Tracy? Doc Fluttershy? Spike the Barbarian? [insert something for Twilight here because I can't think of anything]? Discord as Fu Manchu? Scootaloo as the Rocketeer? The possibilities are many, but finite, because there's only so many pulp characters you can do before it just gets too obscure.

(edited)

Managed to squeeze another one out today:

PinkieRhodan.png

Perry Rhodan + Pinkie Pie = Pinkie Rhodan, Partymare of the Universe

Oh, and Gummy taking the place of Pucky the Mousebeaver. Don't ask. I couldn't force a pun of any kind here.

If you're not German, or weren't part of the sci-fi fandom way back when the ultimate superfan Forrest J. Ackerman decided to publish English translations of this thing, you probably have no idea who Perry Rhodan, Peacelord of the Universe, is. Which is a shame really. Perry Rhodan is the longest running sci-fi print series in all of history. Started in 1961 in Germany, it's still being produced and is well past 2,500 individual issues plus spin-offs, reprints and what not. Unfortunately there were only 135 or so printed in English thanks to the Ackermonster and his wife Wendayne who did the translations mostly by herself, and they're not easy to find. Avoid the movie. It was MST3K'd for good reasons.

The Perry Rhodan costume here is from the cover of the first magazine 'Operation Stardust'.

Yeah, yeah. We're firmly into 'obscure' now. The next one is just as bad. img-1573615-1-blink.png

EDIT: That right hind leg is awkward, and I don't know why. Huh. Moving on....

I'm starting to feel like I'm actually getting this out of my system. Yay!

FlutterDare.png

Here we have Dan Dare + Fluttershy = FlutterDare, Pegasis of the Future!

Yet again, I've gone obscure. Dan Dare has been described as the British Buck Rogers, but that's only vaguely right. First published in 1950 in the Eagle comic magazine, Dan Dare was very much a 'futurized' version of the British Fighter Pilot meme. For those who care, Captain Jack Harkness of the new Doctor Who series was first written to be a Dan Dare look-alike. Dan Dare's comics are still being published in England, but there have been a few gaps.

The Dan Dare costume here is... well, okay, this one is cheating a bit, as the Dane Dare costume is pretty much a standard British pilot's uniform with an odd badge. I couldn't find a way to include the really iconic part of Dan Dare's look, which is a weird squiggle the end of his eyebrows.

Had a heck of time with this one. Mainly with the hat and getting the sort-of salute to make sense, proportion-wise. I had to shorten the neck as if she's scrunching down a bit to put the hat on, rather than saluting like my original intent.

One more to go, but looking back... while the *characters* the ponies are dressing up as are sci-fi, some of these costumes really aren't. I kinda feel like I owe you guys a bit more sci-fi-y stuff, since that was the original premise. So I might do one or two more as 'bonus' pictures.

EDIT: Uh... It merged my posts together. I guess because there were no other posts between them. That was not my intent. Hold on, I'm going to experiment to see if I can break it up. Nope. That didn't work. I guess I'll have to live with this.

Okay, the final of the main series:

DocSparkle.png

I believe @@CITRUS KING46 predicted this one.

Doc Savage + Twilight Sparkle = Doc Sparkle, the Mare of Bronze!

This is one of those I originally envisioned when I started this series. Doc Savage leans far more into the Adventure genre than the Sci-Fi one, but technically he's Sci-Fi. Plus he's the primary inspiration for Buckaroo Banzai, who is very definitely Sci-Fi, and one of my favorite junk movies.

This 'torn shirt' costume is the classic from the cover of the first Doc Savage magazine from 1933.

So I've got plans for two bonus pictures. One another 'pulp sci-fi from another country' one, and a 'just because' one. That should make up for the rather non-sci-fi-ness of some of these costumes.

I do have a procedural question for anyone still looking at this stuff. Should this have been a topic in the first place, or should I open up a new 'blog'-like thing to put this stuff in? I'm a little unclear on the etiquette of this kind of thing.

EDIT: It just occurred to me. Twilight didn't just dress in a 'costume' during Nightmare Night, she dressed as a specific character, put a great deal of effort into matching the look of that character, and was miffed that nobody recognized it.

Twilight is a cosplayer.

I think she'd appreciate this thread. happy.png

First bonus. Not a pony, though.

SuperDragon.png

Super Giants + Spike = Super Dragons!

Okay, if anyone is capable of reading the text on the side, yes, they do say two different things. For reasons I'm not clear on this character has two different names simultaneously. Super Giants (yes, it's plural. I don't understand why.) is a Japanese sci-fi hero from 1957, and is also called Giant of Steel, as he's some form of alien android that just happens to look like a Japanese man. His films were... interesting, and were the basis from which Super Sentai and Kamen Rider arose.

Well, at least he looks happy about it.

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Here we go, the final one I'm going to do with this series. Because I can't do a series without:

CommandoLuna.png

Luna! Best Pony!

Commando Cody + Luna = Commando Luna, Rocket Mare From the Moon!

This is a bit of a mash-up, because there were several Rocket Men from 1949 to 1955. All of them from Republic Pictures, and all of them using the exact same costume (in various states of repair), but each one of them were supposedly separate characters, starting from Jeff King in 'King of the Rocket Men' and ending with Commando Cody. I picked Commando Cody, King of the Rocket Men, and Radar Men From the Moon to mangle the titles together, because it tickled my fancy.

Well, that's it for this pass. I wish I could have split up these last posts more, but I still haven't found anything that would allow me to do that. Ah well.

EDIT: Wait! What? Why did it let me add this as a post this time? I'm sooooo confused....

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 2