Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My first go at vectoring.

Gigapony

So I've been putting off vectoring for a while now, but I can't put it off forever, so I had a go at it today.

It isn't my first go at vectoring things, mind you. I tried using the same method I'd always used to vector logos/text and also screens from anime, and it worked well for ponies and was quite painless (if a bit tedious), which I was happy about.

Anyway, not much to talk about here. It's a picture of Apple Bloom being cute. I decided to go easy on myself and do a pic with her eyes closed. I'll tackle eyes when I have a bit more courage. Then it's on to vectoring my OC's.

Apple_Bloom_zps5ef6a220.png

Also if anyone wants to use this Apple Bloom for anything, please go right ahead (although I'm not the first to vector this pose, surely). It's on my DeviantArt page with a download link.

• Brohoof 11

Ooh, that looks really good. Much better than I could manage. And you're first-timer, too. A+.

Is that from the opening of "Apple Family Reunion" where she's hopping all over the place?

• Brohoof 1

Cheers, mate~ :)

It's from "Call of the Cutie" when Apple Bloom is talking to Applejack about cutie marks and she gets it in her head that her talent must be apples, and starts bouncing around yelling "Apples!" img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png

Seriously, I tried vectoring, and it hurt my brain just thinking about all those confusing line sets just to make a line shape. TEACH ME YOUR UNDERSTANDING I TRIED.

Anyways, this looks pretty professional, and other then the back legs looking a bit small, It's pretty flawless. <3

Not too shabby for a first vector.
Though if you notice, the mane and tail are a bit to thick on the border--Nothing serious, but nevertheless there.
Still, props fora  first vector! Probably better than my first one. (The eyes are VERY fun to learn at first >:3)

This is very nice. Love everything about it, the colour scheme, the perfect and smooth strokes and the pose you have chosen for Apple Bloom.

Woah! That's amazing, you sure have a like, natural talent!  Only critique i have is for the random line on the cheek, other wise it's like. Beautiful! 

I think its natural for everyone to have that under their cheek when they're excited, even ponies. I'm sorry if I sound rude replying back like this.

This is very nice. Love everything about it, the colour scheme, the perfect and smooth strokes and the pose you have chosen for Apple Bloom.

I think its natural for everyone to have that under their cheek when they're excited, even ponies. I'm sorry if I sound rude replying back like this.

No defiently not! 

Maybe you should add some opacity to it, what I meant was that it stood out a little. But I really do love the whole pose and everything, overall it's wonderful.

• Brohoof 1

Wow, that's a great job, GP!  :) It doesn't look like a first effort at all. 

What's it like doing ponies this way?  The first thing that struck me about the cartoon is how they use colors to "ink" the lines instead of traditional black. 

Cheers, all!

Vectoring ponies is a bit tedious but also quite fun. It's definitely a different experience from inking drawings in the "traditional" way I would normally do.

Looking at it again, it's true about the tail line being a bit thick on the bottom, don't know how I didn't catch that. Also note that any "quirks" on Apple Bloom herself (short legs, mouth shape, cheek line) are not so much my doing per se, as all I did was trace her directly from a screenshot and did nothing from scratch myself (though the quality of the screenshot does have an impact on the quality of the vector).

See this link for the original screen I used, for comparison.

Also, though I can't take requests full-time, if anyone wants a particular image of a pony from the show vectored, feel free to ask me, as I could always use the practise.