Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I wonder why all of the ponies are plain palettes.

Discordian

For the most part none of the ponies have any special designs at all. Their coats are all just one color and no deviation. Correct me if I'm wrong. I know some of it is so they can be easily copied to have masses of ponies for the background but not even the mane 6 have any special designs unless you want to count Rarity's eye shadow or the tilt in Fluttershy's eyes. I guess they reserve that for manes above anything else to tell all of them apart.

This is why I like fan ponies more sometimes. They can add features, designs and fashion statements that the show would usually never put much detail into.

Do you think there should be more detail put into the pony designs? If only the important characters?

If every pony was utterly unique, the animators/artists would run out I ideas and each episode would take a lot longer to produce. Plus, many unique ponies in the background would distract from the main characters of that episode.

But I do like OC pones better.

I'm only aware of one pony with actual color design: Pipsqueak is pretty obviously a pinto. Zecora doesn't count, being a zebra.

The lack of splashes, saddles, and socks (as in coat colour variations, not the strange fetishes bronies go weird over) makes sense for purposes of simplification of art (animated and toy production) but as the art production improved, you'd think they'd throw more of that in there.

I read somewhere that Lauren originally envisioned the Mane 6 as having different body types, but they went with the same template because it wound up being less expensive for they toys having one standard pony template, and also it helps speed up the production of the show in terms of animation (also explains why all six are the same height in Equestria Girls).

I think that it is amazing to see how varied they can still make the designs for everypony while working off of one single template.

Animation takes time, a lot of it, and to put a different look and design for each one is wasteful of time and money. So they might as well just keep it simple except the main cast and occasional characters.

I wonder if anyone read my post cuz everyone seems to be repeating the same thing I said. :lol:

I realize for background ponies and such that it's easier for mass production but not even the main characters are very special in design outside of their manes which every pony has something somewhat unique for. If they can go to that effort with manes, why not coats?

A way to save time, energy, and presumably money on animation, I suppose.

Although they DID put forth some effort in designing Derpy/Ditzy, Dr. Whooves / Time Turner, Vinyl, Octavia, Lyra, and Bon Bon.

Hello!

There's one thing I say that, to me, helps make a good show. Do not, stand the main characters out too much.

Of course the fandom artists make everything seem more unique, as they always re-draw the ponies, fore every scene they want to capture. The animators don't do that, nuh uh! They just animate the existing body parts, skelletons, eyes, mouths, etc...

The show becomes a little too cheesy when the creators make the ponies stand out too much in a physical way...]

Now! What I would love to see, would be importing various OC's from the fandom, to replace the reappearing clone ponies (Ponies, that have clones of themselves in the same scene). I think that would liven up the world, not to mention make a big ammount of bronies extraordinarily happy! Not to mention that dream of living in equestria, would be one step closer ^_^ .

I don't really know why at all, I don't mind the palettes at all. I guess the animation might be a problem but, I wouldn't compare the animation to Warner Bros. animation since they both have different animation.