Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Microsoft exec says original Xbox One licensing was "ahead" of consumers

long gone

I honestly think that Microsoft had good intentions with their forced-online and DRM policies. The problem is that it doesn't work out well when such a huge majority of people cannot connect to the internet 24/7, and when the way that they're presented is in such an elitist manner that is unable to accept critiscm. Now that they've changed everything to what it should be.

Don't forget the whole thing about controlling used games just to make even more money, and the issue with always online is that your screwed out of even single player if the severs go down or need repairs. Not to mention the fact they could "screw you, you own a brick and we're not unlocking it" when they stop supporting the thing. 

Don't forget the whole thing about controlling used games just to make even more money, and the issue with always online is that your screwed out of even single player if the severs go down or need repairs. Not to mention the fact they could "screw you, you own a brick and we're not unlocking it" when they stop supporting the thing. 

They lifted all of that, though. It kind of was BS'd through the beginning, but now they've actually listened to what their customers think, and they reacted. Not many companies do that, so I give them credit where it's due. To be honest, it was probably more money-motivated than anything, but at least they're not so fatuous as to not change something when people think it needs changing.

• Brohoof 1

There are reasons why your marketing move was really bad MS and its not just because you were "ahead of consumers". You failed to consider varied quality of internet connections across the nation and other nations. This will limit you potential consumers even if someone wanted an Xbox One they may not have been able to use it. Then you have the installation. One of the advantages to having a console over a PC is the fact that you can just put the disk in and play a game. No waiting no installation. What was the point in having a disk if you have a mandatory install and can run the game without the disk? Then you have trading games. This is important to console gamers and is another advantage to owning a console. PC gamers have become used to their product being bound to product keys so trading at least in my experience really wasn't a huge part of PC gaming. At least not for a long time. You required the kinect to be connected for the console to work. Heck forcing it on the consumer is at present a terrible move because as of right now most don't want it and it increases the price of your console giving a major advantage to your competitors. Heck there's still the fact that at launch they are only releasing in 13 countries. Heck giving us straight answers would have helped too. 

To be honest I find it hard to believe that console gaming would continue without the physical product. At that point a good amount of the advantages of owning a console over PC go away. There would only really be the lower price point, lack of decision in hardware, and exclusives left. Hell exclusives are starting to become rare now. More than half of the games I want on PS4 or Xbox One are cross platform. So I think without the physical product console gaming would be in a much poorer state. If this backlash has shown anything its that consumers want physical media.

• Brohoof 2

T

To be honest I find it hard to believe that console gaming would continue without the physical product. At that point a good amount of the advantages of owning a console over PC go away. There would only really be the lower price point, lack of decision in hardware, and exclusives left. Hell exclusives are starting to become rare now. More than half of the games I want on PS4 or Xbox One are cross platform. So I think without the physical product console gaming would be in a much poorer state. If this backlash has shown anything its that consumers want physical media.

Even that is questionable, you could build a pretty decent budget PC on $550. One video I watched said the Xbox One's GPU only qualifies as entry level.  

Edited by Shoboni

Even that is questionable, you could build a pretty decent budget PC on $550. One video I watched the Xbox One's GPU only qualifies as entry level.  

That is a good point. The more expensive your console the less likely you will sell well. This was seen with the PS3 which despite finding its market is still in last place in overall sales last I checked. I saw a vid using PC rigs using approximated PS4 and XB One specs and it was only able to run Crysis 3 at about 40 fps average maxed out. Though thing about consoles is they can be optimized like crazy to run things. Apparently Crysis 3 was also running really well on Wii U before EA canceled the port. So direct specs aren't really reliable when concerning consoles. Its pretty hard to say with certainty what they will be ultimately capable of.

Not saying consoles are capable of more than PCs but considering they tend to be behind in hardware devs tend to squeeze an impressive amount out of them that at first glance wouldn't be thought possible. 

• Brohoof 1

The Xbox One's GPU is rated at 768GFLOPS, which would make it similar to the Radeon HD 6900M. PS4 is rated at 1.84TFLOPS, which would probably make it similar to a Radeon HD 7850. I'm not exactly sure.

Of course it's our fault that the Xbox One was horribly received with it's used game lock out and always online nonsense.  I won't call it DRM, because that would be Digital Rights Management.  We should have known that Microsoft deserved to restrict what we do with our own property and to check on us every day to make sure we aren't being bad.  Microsoft is always right.

implied_facehoof_by_shadowillhcr-d4gp3fu

Now, to end the sarcasm and give my real opinion.  Microsoft has nothing but contempt for the consumer.  They see us as obstacles to the money in our wallets and treacherous thieves.  That is why they tried to restrict used sales and check on us every day to make sure we didn't mod the consoles we bought.  And when we predictably pointed out how absurd and stupid these ideas were, they responded with condescending insults and the now infamous "#dealwithit".  Well, I shall deal with it, Microsoft, by taking my business elsewhere.  Don't like it?  Well, say it with me everypony:

#dealwithit

That is a good point. The more expensive your console the less likely you will sell well. This was seen with the PS3 which despite finding its market is still in last place in overall sales last I checked. I saw a vid using PC rigs using approximated PS4 and XB One specs and it was only able to run Crysis 3 at about 40 fps average maxed out. Though thing about consoles is they can be optimized like crazy to run things. Apparently Crysis 3 was also running really well on Wii U before EA canceled the port. So direct specs aren't really reliable when concerning consoles. Its pretty hard to say with certainty what they will be ultimately capable of.

Not saying consoles are capable of more than PCs but considering they tend to be behind in hardware devs tend to squeeze an impressive amount out of them that at first glance wouldn't be thought possible. 

That is a true statement as well, specs are relitive to a point. A 1.2GHz Dual Core CPU would be nothing in a PC, but on a cell phone running android it works great because the programs are just optimized that well.

The issue with the PS3 is they crammed to much into it(Blu Ray tech was ungodly expensive at the time it was first produced) and it wound up costing to much.