Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

HowlDash23

So after trying to Google an answer to this problem and getting no such luck, I figured I could possibly get some help here on this issue.  I just finished downloading Dota 2 to my Mac laptop computer and tired to press play on it to play but then I got this error message:

"Could not find required OpenGL entry point 'glDrawRangeElementsBaseVertex'! Either your video card is unsupported, or your OpenGL driver needs to be updated."

I did update my software on my computer to see if that would work, but unfortunately that didn't seem to help either. :/ I don't know how to update my OpenGL or how to figure out if my Mac is on Lion or not.

Not a big tech on Mac, but I do know the min. requirement for Dota 2 is Mac OSX Lion 10.7 and people having that problem are trying to use Mac OSX 10.6.8

You can see what OS version you are using here.

If you are on 10.6.8 you can see if you meet the min. requirements here.

You can also get Lion from the app store apparently, but that's just from a Google search.

Good luck!

• Brohoof 2

Not a big tech on Mac, but I do know the min. requirement for Dota 2 is Mac OSX Lion 10.7 and people having that problem are trying to use Mac OSX 10.6.8

You can also get Lion from the app store apparently, but that's just from a Google search.

Good luck!

I'm not a Mac user myself but based on multiple threads I found on the steam forums with the same issue, I have to say that @Retro*Derpy is spot on for what the solution is.

If you want to know exactly why you need to update to 10.7, read the following text in the spoiler or go directly to the page itself.

https://developer.apple.com/graphicsimaging/opengl/capabilities/GLInfo_1068.html

As you can see, the extension ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex was added in 10.7 Lion to the legacy profile which Valve is using for their backend for DirectX -> OpenGL converter. 

On OS X, drivers are integrated into the OS versions. The only way to get a driver that supports this extension is to upgrade your operating system. Even then, I'm not positive that it will work as the 9400m is a very old card and NVidia may have stopped updating the drivers for them in subsequent MacOS X driver releases. I tried to find out, but was unable to locate it online. 

Honestly, you guys should upgrade your operating system anyways (it's only $20). You're holding back adoption of the newer CORE profile which supports OpenGL 3.2 on 10.7 and 10.8 and OpenGL 4.1 on Mavericks (10.9). 

The reason that you're able to run in Parallels/Bootcamp is that you are using Window's drivers for your graphics card. The Windows drivers are a lot more optimized/tested than the drivers that are put into OS X. They also tend to have better support for older hardware like the 9400 for including more up-to-date extensions and features. Even on Windows, hardware manufacturers stop updating the drivers for the hardware eventually. It just happens a lot more quickly on the OS X side of the equation. 

Honestly, the native OS X version of DOTA 2 is still rough and not ready for prime time. Hopefully, by the time they release it proper some of the bigger frame rate issues have been fixed. As currently, people are getting better frame rate through parallels than with the native client.

-Ferazel Jul 12, 2013 @ 9:35pm 

Edited by Accellerant
  • Brohoof 1

Good luck!

Ah! Thank you thank you! I'm gonna make sure to update my computer to that in the morning. And thanks again for the help! : )