Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronies as a religion and my spiritual experiences

ScarfaceOne

He asked what I would think and I gave him an honest answer. What was stated was my opinion on the religion itself, it was not an attack, and i was not calling him or you stupid for believing in it, just the religion itself, which is an idea that cannot be offended.

A man can think that a mlp based religion is stupid all he wants, I wont get.offended or think he is disrespectful until he starts saying the believers are stupid for their faith.

Neither you or the other guy is stupid for being christian but I reassert my personal opinion that the religion is bollocks.

Instead of saying im being disrespectful, you should ask yourself why you are personaly irked by my opinion and instead of implying that im being disrespectful, just simply ask me why.

Though that discussion should take place on a different thread.

I will make the concession, however, that although I did not mean disrespect in my comments, I may have been insensitive, and that to a question like that, I owe the poster a more concise explanation than the one I gave in brevity.

But as for the other topic I heartily disagree.

It is a sad day when you find a bum trying to sell you his wife's ring.

It is a sad day when the doctor tells you your newborn son was still-born.

It is a sad day when you wake up tied and gagged in someones basement.

These are sad (horrible) things.

Don't get me mistaken, I love the fandom, and Ill support anyone who needs the support, but Im not gonna get bent out.of shape if someone leaves the fandom that I don't even know.

How is that even a bad thing? Its there prerogative if they want to put mlp down, what am I suppose to do, tell em not too?

Whats the worst thing that will happen? They become a trekkie?

Putting away mlp as an obsession might even be good for em, who knows? The idea that its sad for someone to leave the fandom is absurd to the nth degree.

To that poster I will apologize about my flippant attitude. I was at work, noticed the comment, and made my message brief and honest, if not a little brutally so.

@@PokeBolter,

Sorry if I came off rough. I was in one of those bitchy moods.

I didn't say I was offended, I was merely calling to attention that your words might be seen as insensitive. Which you admitted, so no hard feelings.

I will likewise assert that any brony that leaves the fandom because of something that we do, is a failing on our part as a group. It means we weren't listening to one of our own, or were ignorant of their discomfort.

Being a Christian, I think it's rather strange, but who am I to judge?

A lot of people think as someone mentioned before that God is "bollocks". It's not like there aren't any other religions out there already saying that!  :huh:

All aside, in terms of spiritual connections, I've heard of representing certain archetypes before, so it's not like this is a new idea or anything. Though I still think it is a little farfetched!  :lol:

Archetypes is kind of what Gnosticism is all about. Whom you associate with the divine is less important than the acknowledgement and adherence to Them.

(edited)

No I'm not leaving the fandom there's honestly only 2 things that can make me leave now:

1. A new generation really bad and girly like 1-3 and no CMC(Then I'd hate the show)

2. Or bronydom actually becoming a religion

I really like ponies now I mean I got 2 new ones today being Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie plus I've got to admit the bronydom really makes me feel thaty it's Ok to like ponies. brohoof /)

Edited by PokeBolter
  • Brohoof 1

I'm sorry that I made that comment and well if I could go back in time I'd stop it I just kind of thought this was turning off of God and I stand up for my faith when stuff like that happens.

I know what you mean, we all have a little crusader streak in us now and again. It just depends on how you channel that.

No I'm not leaving the fandom there's honestly only 2 things that can make me leave now:

1. A new generation really bad and girly like 1-3 and no CMC(Then I'd hate the show)

2. Or bronydom actually becoming a religion

I really like ponies now I mean I got 2 new ones today being Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie plus I've got to admit the bronydom really makes me feel thaty it's Ok to like ponies. brohoof /)

1. I think the writers are smart enough to know not to kill off the CMC.

2. I still don't see why that would be a problem. I mean, Jedi is a religion, but that doesn't mean you can't like Star Wars without renouncing your faith.

Then I guess I'm going to stay a brony for a long time as long as the CMC stays but then again society hating on bronies might turn it back into a girl show and then yeah I mean watching it only a tiny bit of episodes feel girly.

• Brohoof 1

Then I guess I'm going to stay a brony for a long time as long as the CMC stays but then again society hating on bronies might turn it back into a girl show and then yeah I mean watching it only a tiny bit of episodes feel girly.

I wouldn't worry about that. An empire can't be destroyed from without, if it never compromises within. And we are nothing if not united. Plus, the creators would never fold to society's wishes to compromise their vision.

(edited)

CMC staying, MLP not being girly anymore wow this show sounds like it'll only get better and never worse. Except for well maybe a few plotlines but that's it.

Edited by PokeBolter

I didn't say I was offended, I was merely calling to attention that your words might be seen as insensitive. Which you admitted, so no hard feelings.

I will likewise assert that any brony that leaves the fandom because of something that we do, is a failing on our part as a group. It means we weren't listening to one of our own, or were ignorant of their discomfort.

Ok, Ill give you that. I dont think its a tradgedy if someone leaves the fandom, but it would be disappointing if that happened if it was because of ppl being jerks.

It is easy to draw some parallels between religion and this fandom, so I can see why some might be tempted to make that leap.  

Many of the virtues extolled in the show are also present in some religious doctrines, even if the actual practice of those virtues is rather inconsistent or neglected in modern religious interpretations. 

One key difference however, is that many religious doctrines have elements that put the importance of that particular religion above many other aspects of life, sort of a self-preservation of the religion, whereas the show or fandom doesn't demand your loyalty; the messages exist in a purer form, despite their corporate toy-shilling origins.  

While I can appreciate the many wonderful feelings the fandom brings about, many of them similar to the occasional strong supportive community of some religions, to take that step from community to religion could taint the message; Many religions, no matter the message, are self-serving at their core.

As an aside, this is my first post. Let me just say, this thread has been so full of civility and thoughtfulness considering the subject matter and elements of troll. I can't help but be proud.  :muffins:

• Brohoof 2

I think you're confusing what matter is. Matter refers to tangible things, like water or air or something. Somethings fictional doesn't exist in a tangible sense, because it exists in the mind, and I don't know if the law of the conservation of mass (I think that's what its called) sticks to things that are fictional.  So, I don't think you can use that argument to prove the existence of Celestia as a deity or whatever.  

No. What is Unobtanium? Matter. Unobtanium is a substance in a universe and ''Matter Cannot be created or destroyed''. Unobtanium was created. Therefore causing a paradox. The solution is Unobtanium existed before it was created. Therefore Avatar, MLP, Harry Potter etc existed before it was even created!!!

It is easy to draw some parallels between religion and this fandom, so I can see why some might be tempted to make that leap.  

Many of the virtues extolled in the show are also present in some religious doctrines, even if the actual practice of those virtues is rather inconsistent or neglected in modern religious interpretations. 

One key difference however, is that many religious doctrines have elements that put the importance of that particular religion above many other aspects of life, sort of a self-preservation of the religion, whereas the show or fandom doesn't demand your loyalty; the messages exist in a purer form, despite their corporate toy-shilling origins.  

While I can appreciate the many wonderful feelings the fandom brings about, many of them similar to the occasional strong supportive community of some religions, to take that step from community to religion could taint the message; Many religions, no matter the message, are self-serving at their core.

As an aside, this is my first post. Let me just say, this thread has been so full of civility and thoughtfulness considering the subject matter and elements of troll. I can't help but be proud.  :muffins:

Glad to be a part of your first post.

While I can certainly see what you mean, the elements that do serve the religion itself are often downplayed as the faith becomes more memetic and self-sustaining. We already would have the advantage of having reached that point. We don't need infrastructure because our "gospel" comes to us every Saturday.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hello guys. What do you think if Bronyism was a religion? With Celestia being god? Is it possible?

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some bronies who would turn it into a personal religion of sorts. Rabid fans of star wars certainly have (and thus why the religion of Jedi-ism, as strange and non-sensical as it is, does exist).

Whether Bronyism would become an actual religion in general though is a question. I honestly take the stance that Bronyism is a fandom and ONLY a fandom. The day when a love for ponies associates itself with another religion is the day that I up and leave the fandom.

Edited by Doc Monochrome

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some bronies who would turn it into a personal religion of sorts. Rabid fans of star wars certainly have (and thus why the religion of Jedi-ism, as strange and non-sensical as it is, does exist).

Whether Bronyism would become an actual religion in general though is a question. I honestly take the stance that Bronyism is a fandom and ONLY a fandom. The day when a love for ponies associates itself with another religion is the day that I up and leave the fandom.

Oh no! Not another one! lol.

Truly that is your prerogative, and I can respect that choice, but now that I am in a less bitchy mood than I was with the other poster, rather than merely stating that I don't care, I would like to ask why in such a circumstance, of a minority of mlp fans turning the show into a religion, would you leave the fandom. Their choice should not dictate you to leave the fandom, and the only reason I could fathom that you would desire to do so, is to avoid some sort of guilt by association.

If such an event occurred, the brony fandom would no doubt still be thought of as something mutually exclusive to this new religion, this MLP'ism(Just a dummy tag for this hypothetical religion no matter what form it takes. I'm getting tired of typing "mlp based religion")

Your situation would be similar to a Starwars fan leaving the fandom because Jediism exists. But you rarely see that happening.

• Brohoof 2

Your situation would be similar to a Starwars fan leaving the fandom because Jediism exists. But you rarely see that happening.

Well mainly to clarify, that actually wasn't what I meant. What I meant would be more if, say, a Star Wars fan left the fandom because the entirety of the fandom ultimately became/was a religion (as what would seem to be implied by the OP about Bronyism per se).

If a minority of fans turn it into a religion, then that's one thing. They're wackos yes but my being involved with the fandom no more associates me with their system beliefs than, say, wearing blue makes me a blueberry. But if Bronyism itself is a religion, then there would be an issue.

Probably a strange method of thinking. But gathering from what the OP implied, that is what I thought he meant.

• Brohoof 2

Well mainly to clarify, that actually wasn't what I meant. What I meant would be more if, say, a Star Wars fan left the fandom because the entirety of the fandom ultimately became/was a religion (as what would seem to be implied by the OP about Bronyism per se).

If a minority of fans turn it into a religion, then that's one thing. They're wackos yes but my being involved with the fandom no more associates me with their system beliefs than, say, wearing blue makes me a blueberry. But if Bronyism itself is a religion, then there would be an issue.

Probably a strange method of thinking. But gathering from what the OP implied, that is what I thought he meant.

Reasonable. I didn't get that feeling but that's where differing interpretations come in.

(edited)

That I can understand. It'd be a bit different.

However, I highly doubt it would ever come to that. At best, the religion would be limited to a minority, with probably a few folks only claiming to be part of it to look funny, or piss of their parents, or because it's just the hipster thing to do. I Imagine that if such a thing ever took place, it would spawn a few in jokes within the fandom and a couple of memes.

Edited by Minister KelGrym
  • Brohoof 1

That I can understand. It'd be a bit different.

However, I highly doubt it would ever come to that. At best, the religion would be limited to a minority, with probably a few folks only claiming to be part of it to look funny, or piss of their parents, or because it's just the hipster thing to do. I Imagine that if such a thing ever took place, it would spawn a few in jokes within the fandom and a couple of memes.

Well yes. I honestly don't think it would go in that direction either. But mainly this was just to address the OP as we'll as stir an interesting question.

Well yes. I honestly don't think it would go in that direction either. But mainly this was just to address the OP as we'll as stir an interesting question.

I'd think it'd be funny if this did came to pass, and after civilization fell, those left behind found renments of the pony pop-religion, and took it seriously, making it the basis of the next civilization.

• Brohoof 1

I'd think it'd be funny if this did came to pass, and after civilization fell, those left behind found renments of the pony pop-religion, and took it seriously, making it the basis of the next civilization.

That would be a wonderful, wonderful world to live in!  :wub:

Of course, with the exception of the Holy Wars against those who follow the Almighty Mouse.  ^_^

"For the Six, for Equestria!"  :angry:

"For Mickey, for the magic of Happily Ever After!"  :angry:

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!"  :angry:

*Both sides then realizing this is the coolest thing ever.  :D

• Brohoof 1

No. What is Unobtanium? Matter. Unobtanium is a substance in a universe and ''Matter Cannot be created or destroyed''. Unobtanium was created. Therefore causing a paradox. The solution is Unobtanium existed before it was created. Therefore Avatar, MLP, Harry Potter etc existed before it was even created!!!

I am still telling you the truth of matter.

(edited)

I Have these personal experiences. On the day before the royal wedding of Britain. I heard static on the radio. Which is Celestia requesting help. Then recently on the radio. I heard a boy in a commercial state about a ''Pegasus with Rainbow Hair''. And then the following month. A Bizarre aircraft flew over me and faded into the distance. Indicating it had a cloaking device and therefore it was an Aircraft from Ace Combat. Is Celestia Trying to contact me?

You should consider seeing a doctor to see if you have any signs of brain damage.

Edited by Detective Sparkles

(edited)

Hey. This is a thread not a free Flame or troll thread. Be sensible.

Being an ass isn't flaming or trolling. And i'm being an ass, because i don't believe you.

There's a-lot of people nowadays that say things that aren't true just go get attention.

I'm not saying your not telling the truth, but seriously. If your seeing an hearing things, you could quite possibly have a mental disorder.

Edited by Detective Sparkles