Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bigger and better than the Sonic fanbase?

Plonkett

As you probably should know, I retired from the Sonic fanbase a few years back. I used to really enjoy it ever since Sonic X first came out, but as years went by, it as a whole community was severely flawed. Lots of fanart and animations filled with copypasta stuff, tons of recolor OCs, unnecessary pairings (sure, this fanbase may have a bit of that too), and so on.

I tend to feel that this fanbase is very diverse and more well-organized, more so than Sonic. Sure this fanbase may have its flaws, but it still has so much to offer in terms of creative works.

What about you? Do you think this fanbase is more diverse and more creative than the sonic fanbase?

• Brohoof 2

I never liked Sonic, I don't want to waste my time watching a talking hedgehog go into super mode. I have a watcher on deviantART who was a part of the MLP fanbase, but then she left because "Sonic is more original, professional looking, and better" That statement deserved an automatic double facehoof, no joke. Like bitch please (sorry for my language), I think a colorful talking unicorn is much more relatable than a hedgehog. 

Not to mention that people actually ship Sonic x Rainbow Dash. *facehoof*

• Brohoof 4

All fanbases are the same to me. I've been to many Sonic forum sites, and I rarely talk about Sonic to fans because how they react every time I say I don't think Lost World is that bad, or how Adventure 2 is not that great, or how I think Sonic X is one of the worst shows that I've ever seen. 
I'll shut up now.

• Brohoof 1

The thing that distinguishes us from the rest of the fangroups is our connectivity: we're able to work together as a group to accomplish things other, more secluded fandoms can't do outside of fancons. Because of that, the notable members of the fandom can't just copypasta, because we'd instantly know.So we can make original content with some consistency; That's the good thing.

Yeah, I haven't played Sonic since Genesis, so cannot say one way or another if it's any good (tho I played a portion of the Dreamcast version, and that was meh). But honestly, if you like something, don't be afraid to admit it. Hell, I recently became an Ever After High fan, and this is one of the only places I can say that cause no one will judge you for liking it.

Well, Sonic is still climbing his way back up to the top with his recent games (even if they were a bit of an acid trip) and his appearance in SSB4. I like Sonic a lot, but I don't know if I technically consider myself part of the fanbase. Although I am worried about Sonic Boom and, apparently, this new Sonic movie I heard about. The fans are probably still recovering from what I call "The Great Sonic Plunge of the Early 2000s". My post probably makes no sense, but it does to me.

I never liked Sonic, I don't want to waste my time watching a talking hedgehog go into super mode. I have a watcher on deviantART who was a part of the MLP fanbase, but then she left because "Sonic is more original, professional looking, and better" That statement deserved an automatic double facehoof, no joke. Like bitch please (sorry for my language), I think a colorful talking unicorn is much more relatable than a hedgehog.

I agree that the ship is bull-hockey, but you don't have to shit on Sonic like that. I mean, come on that's just mean.
  • Brohoof 2

Actually, i'm pretty sure we're the ones who caused the decline of the sonic fanbase, starting with us completely crushing them on deviantart...they used to be everywhere on that site.

As one who grew up watching the original Sonic cartoon, and playing the games on Game Gear I'd have to say that I don't remember Sonic having a fan base like MLP.  Oh sure, there were lots of fans, but lets face it.  Never seemed as organized or diverse as the MLP fans.  I'm still a big Sonic fan (its ROBOTNIK, not Eggman!), but never seen anything as, well, crazy-big like the MLP fans base!  (except for sci-fi movie fans like Trekkies, etc).

Oh, and I know this will get me in trouble, but I still think Sonic is faster then R.D. (but that's for another thread, lol).

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've been playing Sonic since the GameCube days.

Mainly because before that, I was a baby and couldn't play video games.

If you ask me, there is nothing better.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all the fanbases I'm in. But Sonic just has a place in my heart.

The fanbase though... Lets just say that they complain for no reason.

Edited by Shadowking58

I agree that the ship is bull-hockey, but you don't have to shit on Sonic like that. I mean, come on that's just mean.

They shit on bronies all the time.

I never came in contact with a Sonic fan, but what I know about the Sonic fanbase is what I see from the rude 'furries-in-denial' that join anti-brony movements and constantly out themselves with their Sonic avatars and OCs.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

As you probably should know, I retired from the Sonic fanbase a few years back. I used to really enjoy it ever since Sonic X first came out, but as years went by, it as a whole community was severely flawed. Lots of fanart and animations filled with copypasta stuff, tons of recolor OCs, unnecessary pairings (sure, this fanbase may have a bit of that too), and so on.

I tend to feel that this fanbase is very diverse and more well-organized, more so than Sonic. Sure this fanbase may have its flaws, but it still has so much to offer in terms of creative works.

What about you? Do you think this fanbase is more diverse and more creative than the sonic fanbase?

You just answered your own question. Not much really needs to be added.

The sheer level of talent, creativity, and diversity you get here, I believe, is hard to find in ANY fanbase, let alone Sonic. It really should be the envy of the entire industry. Whereas the best of the MLP fanworks are what MLP fans see first, it's much easier to spot the worst of the Sonic fans and fanart first. Sonic has little to no equivalent to "My Little Dashie", the .MOV series, or pretty much any other fanwork you can name past the recolor OCs and shipping fanfiction.

Additionally, you don't see an entire circuit of conventions dedicated to Sonic like there is for MLP, and you most definitely do not see the support and charitable work done by this fandom in theirs. Sonic never really made anyone a better person the same way MLP has to some people.

Edited by Wind Chaser

They shit on bronies all the time.

I never came in contact with a Sonic fan, but what I know about the Sonic fanbase is what I see from the rude 'furries-in-denial' that join anti-brony movements and constantly out themselves with their Sonic avatars and OCs.

That doesn't mean ya gotta hate on the franchise itself though. Besides, it's not like ALL Sonic fans hate us. Just most we see on the Internet. Even then that doesn't say much, because most of pretty much everything hates us.

I've been playing Sonic since the GameCube days.

Mainly because before that, I was a baby and couldn't play video games.

If you ask me, there is nothing better.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all the fanbases I'm in. But Sonic just has a place in my heart.

The fanbase though... Lets just say that they complain for no reason.

Admittedly, it's kinda true. Remember when people started hating Sonic's green eyes? It seems a bit hard to please a Sonic fan, but can you blame them? Sonic has had some pretty hard falls in the early 2000's, and they all thought SEGA would learn from their mistakes, but no! We didn't get truly good games after Sonic Adventure 2 until Sonic Colors came out (fun fact: SC was actually one big Skittles advertisement, I mean for the first few weeks it was out you got a free pack of Skittles when you bought the game! But I'm not complaining! Free Skittles lol!)
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Just remember:  not all Sonic fans are against MLP.  If forced to choose, I would be more Sonic fan then Vinyl+Octavia fan myself.  just something I grew up with and love the character (from the original games and tv show more then the newer ones).  But I DO admit that the MLP fan base is way kooler!  A lot more creativity and group interaction!  Not really ANY franchise can match it!  Best match I'd say would be Trekkies, which I also am a proud member of (note my OC's cutie mark).

Edited by nx9100

I used to kinda like sonic, but I never got involved with the fandom because everything I found there was distasteful. Plus, the only really experience I had with the sonic franchise was a PS2 game that had a lot of the older games on it, and Sonic Heroes or something. I like Tails, though. He's cool. 

I feel like the brony fandom has more room for creativity and overall produces better fancontent and has a more diverse fanbase.

Plus, I don't really like the style a lot of the characters are drawn in, mainly the eyes. If you look at sonic, you see he doesn't have to individual eyes, but one big white thing that dips in the middle, and always makes him look kinda angry (at least in my opinion) 

sonic-the-hedgehog_1318971647.jpg

See?  :blink:

• Brohoof 1

Well to play devils advocate here, our highs are higher, and our lows are lower. For instance, while our music is subjectively better than Sonic(they don't tend to make a lot of it, anyway), no one in the sonic fanbase(near that I know of) has ever made something as terrible and prolific as Sweet Apple Massacre. We've also only been around en masse for about four years; as far as fandoms go, we're really young. It's hard to compare because of that reason; fandoms tend to make or break when a lot of their quality is exhausted.

Well, while briny community has shown to be reactionary to certain things (Derpy, Twilacorn, Equestria Girls), it just seems like to me the Sonic fan base is MUCH worse at it. I mean, it seems like if Sega does one thing, one half of the fan base screams bloody murder. If they do something else, the other half gets upset.

I dunno, and I could be way off in my assumption, but that's just my (limited) experience.

Meh, I only play Sonic games, the most recent is the one and only Sonic All Star Racing Transformed. I don't even know about it's fanbase.

Speaking of which, I should buy the game on Steam next month :P

I rarely talk about Sonic to fans because how they react every time I say I don't think Lost World is that bad, or how Adventure 2 is not that great, or how I think Sonic X is one of the worst shows that I've ever seen.

I'm not a Sonic fan, per se, but I liked Lost World and SA2, both.  SA2 had Rouge the Bat, so that helped lol.  Even though I didn't care near as much for the Tails / Eggman and Knuckles / Rouge stages as I did for the Sonic / Shadow ones.  And I spent SO much time in the Chao Garden.  I've affectionately called Lost World "Super Sonic Galaxy," and I really liked the game play (once I mostly got the hang of it) and forgave it its faults.  Though I've never liked Sonic himself as a character.  It's a character design / personality thing, I guess.  I even like Tails better.

The only "good" thing about that ship is that it will never ever become canon lol.  There's never going to be an episode of FIM introducing Sonic.  I mean, I don't like it / ship it, but it's relatively innocuous in that regard.  Sorry, supporters of that ship.  Just an opinion; people ship whatever ship they wanna ship.  I DaringDash, RainbowPie, and TwiDash, myself. xD

I think I have a few mixed feelings on this.

I'm a huge Sonic fan, have been for quite a long time.

However, the fan base is full of rude people who bash you for literally having an opinion different from theirs.

But Bronies are different, in this fan base, you can really connect with people and be yourself. I always feel like I would have to put on a mask and hide all my blunt opinions from members when on the Sonic Stadium, just to prevent arguments.

I think if you know your Sonic facts, you can fit in the fan base, because you'll know how to counter their senseless rants.

Usually, I can temporarily "tame" the crowd by just saying, Sonic is Sonic, I love the blue blur. It's like clicking the heels of your magic harmony slippers.

So, to sum it all up, I do enjoy the Brony fandom more than I do the Sonic fandom, for the people.

(edited)

The sonic fandom is much older than the MLP: FiM. So its had alot longer to plunge of the rails and into a ravine of unspeakable horrors XD

The only reason the MLP fandom doesn't seem quite so bad (Yet.) is because we've seen what will happen if we let it get TOO out of hand.

Also the Sonic Fandom has more deviations with in it. A Fandom of the games, a fandom of the Comic(s) and Fandoms of animated shows (both the retarded one and the grimdark one :P). In fighting is more likely as all 3 are both canon yet not canon to each other. 

That said, its not like either fandom is irridemable. its just going to talk alot of effort from the folks in their respective communities to change the image around XD

Edited by Shire Pony Malinter

(edited)

Sonic does have one thing going for him.  First cartoon he was in, Sonic was voiced by none other then Jaleel White!  For those who don't know, he was Steve Urkel on "Family Matters".  I believe the phrase is "20% Cooler!", lol

But most of you are right.  Sonic fanbase has nothing on the MLP fans!  This isn't a fanbase, it's a revolution!

(i'm still surprised where other Bronies pop up!)

Edited by nx9100

mlp is much better than 90% better of all sonic games

games, perhaps.  The older Genesis games were pretty good (and way better then the newer ones, in my opinion.)  But the original Sonic cartoon show was excellent.  Had a good backstory, great characters, and good writing.  Only reason it didn't last was it was put against the original power rangers in ratings, and NOTHING was going to beat that show back then!