Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open To justify the means ( IC RP)

Vae Victis

OOC sign-ups and discussions ( still open!) ; http://mlpforums.com/topic/108768-to-justify-the-means-sign-ups-ooc-discussion/#entry3043469

To justify the means

Act I: to do what is necessary.

DMs: magos ampharose, dirge of souls

There was no question about it. The griffon had felt absolute guilt in what he had done. In one claw, his halberd, which was what granted him his power, and was his tool of destruction. In the other claw... The head of the griffon emperor, Raziak. This would be the third sovereign that he had cut down today. He had already collected the heads of the Minotaur duke and queen chrysalis. He had already presented them to Avaerus, and would soon do the same with the head of the griffon emperor. He looked on, overlooking the burning city of Phalx, slowly being turned to ash by blue flames. This was his doing. It was all a part of avaerus's plan. Griffon warriors were down there... Killing each other. Some were controlled by Avaerus, their minds bent by his powerful sorceries. Others had been left alone, chosen randomly to be the warriors that would hopefully live through adversity and conquer the trials. Similar events had happened within the changeling domain and Minotaur duchy. This was all to test the mortals, and mold them into what they need to be.... So that they could live. But the griffon found himself questioning if what he was doing was the the only way... He fought back the tears. He fought back the guilt, the source of his power. How was this right?!? How was this justified?!? How many had to die, just to garner a future for mortality? Still... There was no turning back now. The test had been handed out. It was the mortals' will that would decide their own fate, and quite possibly... The fate of another world.

The griffon flew away, and eventually met Avaerus miles away from Phalx. He landed on the ground, where Avaerus standing. Avaerus was a rather large creature... Claws like a griffon, with a face to match. But that's where the similarities ended. He was white cloaked, with a hood over his head, obstructing much of his face. He had 8 wings. The griffon kneeled, and presented the head to Avaerus. " for you, Avaerus.... I present to you, what I worked so hard and died for, 763 years ago.."

Avaerus took the head by the scalp, inspecting it. Avaerus was just as sad as the griffon.

Avaerus: " zephrael.... I know how you feel. I do not take any pleasure in killing mortals... It's like a parent, ending its own child's life to me. But this is the only sure way to force all species to unite forces."

_______

Zephrael, the griffon, stood and yelled.

" is this truly the only way, Avaerus?!? With every kill, I fade deeper into guilt and misery! Not only did I murder a righteous leader, I killed a father! I killed a husband! I killed the descendant of my best friend, whom I loved as a brother! Why couldn't we just have warned them after we escaped from Tartarus?!?"

_______

Avaerus answered calmly.

" because they never would believe us. Even though I am literally proof of many things, they would not even take into consideration what is to soon happen. Besides. We need strong mortals, like yourself. You have the powe to destroy armies. In order to survive the coming storm, we must temper the iron into steel. We must make the mortals strong. And to be strong, one must brave through suffering. Now.... Our final target is equestria. If what you said is true... Then that tournement should be held soon. Luna, Celestia, and cadence should be there... You know what we must do. I also sense one of your descendants there.."

_______

Zephrael yelled in anger.

" keep my family out of this!"

Avaerus responded. Again, kindly.

" zephrael, he is the inheritor of the Azarith pheonix lord title. You know that he will do everything in his power to stop you. We may have to harm him... But zephrael... As your friend, I promise that he will not die. Nor will the others, as he has three children and his father also lives. Their wives shall not be harmed either. I also sense other, very powerful souls gathering there, too. Perhaps for the tournement. We will make our entrance there... And the first phase will be finalized."

Zephrael breathed a slight sigh, and spoke.

" but won't they know we are coming? Surely they have heard what of what has happened in the last few days......"

Avaerus assured him otherwise.

" they will not know. I have stationed mind-bent soldiers around the borders that stop any information from going in or out. I'm also blocking us out of their magical sense. They have no idea, and equestria is still a peace for now."

Zephrael spoke one last time.

" perhaps we should leave then. I just want to finish this.... And I also want to see this generation's Azarith pheonix lord. I know that... Even though I am guilt ridden inside, he will make me proud. That will at least give me a semblance of happiness."

With that, zephrael flew off, towards equestria. Avaerus followed. It would be hours until they got there. But when they do arrive... Things would change forever there, as things had changed for the other nations that suffered zephrael and Avaerus.

---------------------------------------------------------- meanwhile, in equestria------------------------------------------------------

Announcers could be heard all over canterlot. They professed information about a tournement, one being held to commemorate 1,000 years of peace between the allied nations. Weeks in advance, many had gathered to come watch. Very few had come to participate, as it would be nerve racking to compete, considering that all 3 equestrian princesses would be watching. The reward was a lovely amount of gold.

Walking down the streets of canterlot and towards the newly constructed colleseum was a group of four.

" a tournement, eh! Kaz! That sounds like fun! We should totally enter! We'd destroy everybody and take the prize!" Said the pegasi, syuren. He was the speed demon of the divine retribution order... Some might even say he was the motormouth. Befitting of the keeper of wind, really. Syuren was immature and cocky, but a good heart nonetheless.

Kazas, the griffon, responded. " well.... We need more funding for the acolyte's weaponry... Plus, we might make new friends. Why not? Lorec, I know you want to." Kazas was the pheonix knight, and leader of the divine retribution order. A good leader. And a good friend.

________

Lorec, the hulking Minotaur, simply nodded. He fell into the stereotypical strong and silent category. He was the keeper of the earthen element, and the ursa king's champion. A great warrior in both name and deed.

Alrahm, the old unicorn, spoke up. " you young uns' and your want to prove whos strongest.... I can't believe you're even getting yourselves into this... By the way, where is vorrin? One on one combat is his specialty!" Said the gruff one. He was old and had a finely groomed beard. He was the keeper of ice, and the windigo monarch's chosen.

Kazas spoke. " he took the day off. He said he was actually going to watch the festivities. Maybe we can catch him in the crowd!"

Syuren then wrapped up the conversation. " alright! Lets do this! Centaur sovereign's brequethed, keeper of wind, syuren Renoir is gonna be a champion!"

They all laughed, and headed to the colleseum, where they would enter the tournement. Perhaps others would be there too....

Edited by Dirge of souls

"With permission, milady?"

"Yes. Go and enjoy yourself, Agririon."

Grinning to himself as he was temporarily released from his protect-the-princesses-at-all-times oath, he glided away, his black wraithcloak sliding against the ground and hiding his otherworldly nature. Making his way down from the shaded building that the princesses were using as a place to stay out of the sun until the tournament started, he tried to blend into the crowd inconspicuously. Oh, he would have a brilliant surprise for the Princess. He would prove his devotion to her through this glorious combat.

It had all been done quietly. The arrangements for his participation, the fee to enter. Obtaining his weapons from the armories of Mortus and blocking their edges with magic so that they were made nonfatal. It had taken him months to set all of this up. All that he needed was her consent, which was given, although she didn't even know it. This would be quite the lovely surprise, as it would give her his combat demonstration without having to practice on test dummies. He was quite surprised when she announced the tournament in the first place, but he shrugged it off without thinking about it much. Inside the space of a few hours, he would be out there, killing his- no, that was a dangerous mindset to go into this with, all things considering. Out there knocking out ponies. There we go. Much safer.

As he arrived to his 'pit'- a name he gave to the indentations in the ground, surrounding the walls, giving the champions and their teams a ready place to prepare and show off for the adoring crowds that were yet to find a seat- he grinned as he jumped in, nsuring his weapons were roperly blocked before picking up one of the scythes, the gems flashing and shining like a star. "Perhaps if I managed to get to the final fight, I will use this one..." He muttered. But he decided against it. He would go in with his worst one, and end with his best. Appearances can be deceiving, after all. Taking the scythe, he began to get a feel for the blade. One usually looks at a scythe as a tool, and rightfully so- but whichever spirit decided that Death would be the literal 'reaper of souls' had a sarcastic streak and decided to do good on that name. Either way, the weapon was well balanced, so, after a few swings, he was reduced to sitting in the pit and smiling to himself, moving himself to perform some bladework every so often, but, otherwise, imagining the pride that Celestia and Luna would have on their face as soon as she saw him with the cup...

((I ran out of time, Shelevan comes tomorrow.))

Though many had gathered, and quite a few had decided to compete in the tournament, there was still one who had not signed up yet. On this evening, with a subtle sense of doom stirring in the wind but only for those keen enough to sense it, a brave stallion walks the streets and combs through the growing crowd. He is strapped to a rather oriental-looking carriage. However, it's actually a cart that he hauls with him. And hooked to the top of that cart is a samurai helmet. For now, this pony is not wearing his armor nor brandishing any weapons. In fact, most of the citizens and visitors in Canterlot might not even guess what lies inside his fully concealed cart. All they see for now is a fearsome look in his eyes.

His eyes are sharp like someone who is angry, yet dull like someone who has been tainted by the tides of war. In his head, he sees a large oriental castle with many maze-like walls surrounding it. The entire premises is big enough to cover an entire town or villa. The insides of the maze and the lower levels of the castle are littered with fallen ponies; many of them armored and a few of them not. Flags and weapons of various types and sizes are discarded or lodged in some of the corpses. And the outer parameters are surrounded by both ponies who are trying to force their way in and opposing ponies trying to keep them out.

As he imagines this, the stallion in question is keeping an internal dialogue. "My brethren. My ponies... Corruption has invaded your weak hearts and minds. The homeland we once stood for and protected with pride has been brought to siege by civil war! They've all forgotten why they keep fighting, yet they keep pressing forward. But for some reason, I am stronger. I have kept a clear head. Whatever supernatural forces drives them to darkness has not affected me, however... Something beckons me here, to this place. I was not given orders to come here, nor would I normally leave Japon without orders to do so, and yet... Something tells me that if I want salvation for my kind, then I must start here! And I shall."

None of the other attendees in Canterlot even so much as make him flinch or shake. Rather, his stern presence makes others take notice. As he goes to sign up to enter the tournament, he actually finds comfort in this. "I care not for any gold or frivolous reward. I seek my own prize. However..." The stallion combs the crowd. "...It would make me feel better if there were other Japonies that decided to gather her beside me." He speaks to no one but himself. Finally he is able to enter and sign his name. He writes it down in their language: Samurai Equine.

Edited by Samurai Equine

The group made their way to the colleseum. The colleseum was grand, and built entirely out of marble. It looked as though it had been inspired by ancient romane culture. There were two entrances. One was smaller, and held a sign that said " participant sign-ups". The other was a grander, larger entrance, with a sign that said " civillians." The colleseum was built to hold 50,000 onlookers, and was stadium fashioned, with comfortable cushions on rows of benches. The arena itself was circular, being 100ft by 100ft in both radius and diameter. A 15 foot deep pit is where the stone-floored arena resided. The audience could watch safely from their stacking benches, without fear of being harmed. The walls had entrance ways that led underground, which, in turn, gave way to the locker room for participants. It would seem that, since only one locker room was built, it was an attempt to get the fighters to be social with each other... Or start an early brawl.

The group, headed by kazas, stepped toward the registration entrance. There was an odd pony there, middle aged. He looked up at the group, saw syuren, and smiled.

Registration manager orik;

" syuren! My son! Have you come to make your dad proud, or play your obvious pranks on the crowd and fighters? Haha!"

Syuren ran to the registration booth.

" dad?!?!? What are you doing here? I thought you were at the shop!"

Orik:

" yes, well I took this gig for the perks. I do this, my shop gets advertised in between fights!"

_________

Syuren:

" awesome dad! Well, we are here to fight. Can you sign us up?"

_______

Orik: " of course... Here are the registration papers."

_________

Orik passed out the registration forms along with a pen. However, only Lorec, syuren, and kazas took one. Alrahm wasn't going to participate, despite being the second most powerful.

______

Orik:

" don't forget about your entrance themes, either."

Lorec spoke for the first time today, in response to that.

Lorec: " entrance themes..... What is this, pro-Minotaur wrestling?" He said.

Orik laughed.

" no, no! Not at all! This is a BIG event! The princesses wanna give everyone a good show! So go ahead, pick out any piece of music that exists, and it'll be played when you come in! Try to make a flashy entrance too. It'll pump up the crowd!"

_________

They all signed their papers and put down their perferred music. Kazas turned to alrahm before he, Lorec, and syuren entered into the lockers.

______

Kazas: " you sure you don't want in, alrahm? Last chance."

_______

Alrahm: " I'm an old man. In my prime, I would have done these kinds of things. But I'm a grandpa now. Even though I'm sure there's a no killing rule, my body is frail, and I'm a distance fighter. You young ones have fun. I'll buy a ticket and find vorrin in the stands. See you around."

________

With that, kazas followed syuren and Lorec into the locker room. A griffon with a sword that is possessed with the soul of a pheonix lord, himself. A Minotaur with a greatsword posessed by the soul of an ursa king. Lorec. A pegasi with a spear posessed by the soul of a centaur sovereign. Syuren. If they were some of the first entries, then who knows what other interesting beings would show up.

None of the primordial divines had spoken to any of them today. Very strange. Ezerepth, the great pheonix sealed in his sword, was usually talkative, to say the least.

Kazas decided not to speak with ezerepth for now. He would let the pheonix have his rest. He made his way to the locker room with Lorec and syuren, and they waited for others to appear.

• Brohoof 1

@,

((This is going off of the assumption that I made by what you said in the PMs that they still remember each other. If not, or this is an entirely different thing and they haven't met, poke me about it and I'll change it.))

Growing tired of his demonstrations, Agririon carefully made his way out of his 'pit' and wandered his way over to the registrations before carefully signing up with a looping script. After a short bow to the manager of the registration, he made his way downstairs.

Where he was most surprised to be met by an old friend. It had been over five years, since they were last together. When he was hunting demons, he had a huge suit of armor that he wore when the occassion called for it. He had been called a Jester- having not deigned to give his real name- and he had hunted once with a griffon. A particular griffon with a phoenix lord by his side.

After he quickly registered his surprise, he hid it and stared at him carefully, ensuring it was the same griffon. Now, there were new creatures around him, but he certainly didn't recognize them. They all carried spirits of ancients long gone with them- centaur sovereigns, ursa kings. The only one missing from this quartet was a windigo monarch, but they were crafty beings, they were. He would be surprised if they managed to confine one.

Sliding down the staircase, he smiled to himself before commenting, "I certainly hope that you still know how to use that sword, Kazas." With a grin, he floated by with a grin. "I don't recognize your friends, but yours is a face that I will never forget..."

• Brohoof 1

Detrot buzzed with excitement. One of their own, a rather well-known composer, would be fighting in the name of his adopted city, bringing glory to the name of the city of Detrot, which hadn't had much to boast about lately. The citizens had all been positively agog at the news that Encore, that snooty, high-class trumpeter fellow would ever have a desire to fight. After all, to do so he would have to scuff up his shiny hooves a little. Right?

Encore had no intentions of scuffing his hooves. At least, not in that crude sense. As he held his head high, and regally processed towards the Coliseum, he checked the contents of his backpack. His prized possessions, and for the purposes of this tournament, his weapons. A trumpet, a violin and bow, and several bags full of a plain black powder. He'd have to thank Eve for the powder later... Wait. 

Wait. Waitwaitwait no way. 

Eve was standing at the signup list, just ahead of him. 

She was such a shy little pony... What was she doing signing up for a tournament like this? 

The little gold and blue pony standing beside her seemed to be talking her up, talking some confidence into her. Encore smiled. Maybe this would work.

By the time Encore had approached the sign-up lists, Evergreen and her friend had departed, the friend towards the grande audience entrance, and Eve towards the smaller side one for competitors. Scribbling his name in large loopy letters right under Eve's tidy scrawl, he followed her into the room for competitors.

@magos ampharose

Before agririon had entered, kazas had been sitting on a bench in the locker room. Lorec had been doing push-ups, warming up for his battle, and probably would only stop to watch the other Matches before his name is called. Lorec kept his arms bandaged all the way to the knuckles, and his upper body kept covered by a tunic. Kazas knew why, and anyone else who Lorec deemed worthy would know too. Syuren looked at the ceiling, smiling and daydreaming, probably about winning the tournement.

Just then, as kazas was inspecting his blade, he heard a voice. A very, very, familiar voice. He looked up to see whom it was that addressed him. As he beheld agririon, his mind wandered back to five years ago... The plague crisis. Resh. Both of these, they conquered together along with many others. Kazas's children had even hatched during those days! This had to be the jester... Surely it was! But he looked so different... Perhaps this is what he had concealed in that giant suit of armor 5 years ago.

Kazas smiled, and spoke up. " now that Is a voice I will never forget... Jester, it is you! How have you been?!?" Kazas ran up to him, excited.

" long time no see! By the maker, it's been so long... As yet, it felt as it were only yesterday that we went on that mission...."

Kazas's friends looked on, curious about his relations to this... Seemingly otherworldly being.

Kazas looked back at his friends.

" guys, this is an old friend of mine from the plague assignment given to me by emperor Raziak five years ago. We called him the jester, and he is a damn good fighter. Jester, this are my friends, Lorec and syuren. Lorec is the hulking Minotaur, and syuren is the motormouth pegasi. I have two other compatriots here today also... Vorrin and Alrahm. They decided not to compete today. I'm sure they'd love to meet you! How have you been all these years, friend? And also, are you still commanded to not give your real name? Or may we finally learn today? I hope these last 5 years have been as eventful for you as they have for me... Tell me everything, if that's okay. I might even pick up drinking again just to have a glass with you once more!"

• Brohoof 1

@@,

Agririon chuckled slightly as he glided next to Kazas. "Take a breath, we don't want to get you too hyped up before you start making mistake in the tournament now, do we?" With a little sigh, he blinked and began. "Well... it's certainly been a long time indeed. Not giving my real name was a choice I made then, you may now know me as Agririon if you wish. And everything will certainly take up a long time- but where to start? After a the plague was dealt with, I roamed around with my friends for the next year or two before being called upon by Celestia and Luna to take a more...active role in their protection. About a month or two afterwards I decided to take off the giant metal shell- it was getting irritating falling through floors, you see. Although I was still sent on missions. Let's see..." He pondered for a bit. "I banished the demon lords Mar'Del and Warntor... smacked around a few cults... there was this one time when this nightmare creature invaded southern Equestria, that was fun... Luckily the dimensional vortex has stabilized enough where we don't have to worry about that anymore, huh?" He winked. "Then- oh, hello, sweet madam."

Giving a deep bow to the tan and green mare that just walked down the stairs, he smiled at her carefully before blinking around at everyone. "Well... err... other then a few methodical missions, after that, I've pretty much have been watching my energies coalesce for the past few months once all of that ended. This tournament is just what I need to relax. If we're lucky, we'll be crossing blades soon enough. Then we'll really see who's the better bladespony, huh?"

With a wink, he sighed and turned his attention towards the mare that just walked in. "Well, you're quite the beautiful mare. But I suspect that this rose has it's thorns, no? You wouldn't be here otherwise..."

Edited by Magos Amphrose
  • Brohoof 2

@

One of the mare's eyebrows rose as she inspected the thing that was hitting on her, not entirely sure what it was, but she smiled faintly nonetheless. She'd seen plenty of stuff that would unnerve anypony, and she supposed a spookily grim reaper with a schoolboy crush on her wasn't much worse than anything she'd encountered in her travels. At least he wasn't trying to kill her. Yet. 

"Beautiful? Hardly," she said, in her soft little voice. She pulled a rose out of her ever-present satchel, an odd one that had petals that glittered like gems. "But you're absolutely right. Roses come with thorns." She held up the glittering flower, inspecting the thorny stem. "Always gotta be careful when handling them. Or you might get pricked." Then, still smiling innocently, she placed it gently behind one ear, and as she brushed her mane out of the way to do so a small poof of dust spawned out of the dirty tangle. 

Encore descended to find all the others gathered and talking. Noticing Eve already getting chatted up by some kind of spooky wraith, he wandered towards a corner, where he knelt and began to tinker with the contents of his backpack again.

• Brohoof 1

Kazas chuckled a bit as well.

@magos ampharose

Kazas spoke to agririon once more. " I'm sorry, I'm just excited to see an old friend here... Makes me wonder if I'll see another."

Then facing his friends, he signaled for them to come together. Lorec was sitting on the ground, taking a brief break from push-ups. Syuren had snapped out of daydreaming and paid attention to kazas.

_____

Kazas:

" alright. Lorec, syuren, all three of us know exactly what we are capable of. I want the use of the primordial divines' power locked down to stage one. And Lorec, that goes double for you. I know that you are very competitive, but we are here to celebrate 1,000 years of peace, not to destroy this colleseum.

Lorec grumbled. He only drew upon the power when he needed, so this little talk was nothing to him. Syuren, on the other hand, objected loudly.

__

Syuren:

" but kaz! That's not fun, man! We're supposed to be the main attraction! Aernt we here to give a good show?

_________

Kazas answered firmly.

__

Kazas:

" no syuren! If you did that, the winds would blow at least half the crowd out of the stadium, Lorec could decimate the arena, and I would probably burn the place down if we go all out. It can't. And WON'T. happen. Understood? Besides, you know what starts happening to our bodies if we use too much power."

_________

Syuren answered, disappointed.

___

Syuren:

" alright.... Fine. But I'm still going to make a dynamic entry from above."

Kazas nodded, and let the subject be. All the while, Lorec had been staring at the mare. More specifically, the flower embedded in her hair.

@bard

___

Lorec: " hmm... Pretty flower... I don't see those in the forest much..."

He grumbled again, then, went back to doing push-ups, typical of his nature.

• Brohoof 1

Samurai Equine makes himself comfortable in the locker room. He has taken one of the lockers in the corner, and converted that corner into an oriental shrine of sorts. There are shoji screens, festive yellow lanterns, a lucky cat statue, incense burning in a bowl, a pair of wall scrolls with Japanese text on them, and the box containing his armory put to the side. Samurai is sitting upright on a fancy pillow, waving a paper fan over his face. He looks oddly still, yet he is observing Agririon, Encore, Syuren, and many other competitors that pass by and find their own lockers.

"Some of these competitors will be really strong. My magic is telling me they have more than their physical strength and tactics to rely on. I should be prepared..." Samurai Equine thinks to himself as his horn glows a few times. Finally, he decides to speak. "Come, champions all!! Before the tournament, if anyone would care to listen, and I shall tell you the tail of Momotaro! Once long ago, their lived an old married couple who lived a humble life as rice farmers. Though they toiled the fields, they were sad that they could not bear children of their own. However, one grateful evening, a giant peach floated down the stream near their village. As the old stallion gathered it and took it home for dinner, the old couple discovered a baby colt inside! ..." Samurai continues his story, entertaining some but mostly using it as an opportunity to better understand his fellow competitors.

@samurai equine

Lorec had snapped up his head, looking at samurai equine's area.... Strange! Lorec had never seen such an enigmatic figure before, and he had just gotten done witnessing his leader converse with what could've been the literal grim reaper. Lorec stopped his push-ups, and stood. He walked over near samurai equine's area, and took a seat. He didn't know what it was. He felt like this pony was very honor-bound, the same as him. If fate were so lucky, maybe they would meet in a match. And maybe..... Just maybe.... This one would actually make Lorec draw his greatsword on his back, as he mostly perferred pugilism.

He sat in silence, looking into samurai equine's eyes. The Minotaur thought to himself.

' I can feel the fire from his soul.... I wonder if he can feel mine.....'

Kazas then looked in samurai equine's direction. He saw the pony sitting, telling a story with Lorec sitting near him, listening.

_____

Kazas

" haha.... Looks like Lorec has found someone to befriend. Perhaps he senses a worthy challenge in that japonese steel, eh syuren?... Syuren?"

Syuren was daydreaming again, mumbling to himself. Guess the excitement was erring to him. Kazas decided to watch Lorec's fascination with samurai equine with great curiosity.

• Brohoof 1

@@Samurai Equine,

((Ah, Japanese stories! My respect for you grows.))

Momotaro? I've heard something about that, wasn't he... chuckling to himself, he sat down quietly and politely, listening to how the story was told. Well, if there's something that is interesting, its how stories, myths, and legends always seem to come around. He should know- one of his first tasks, long, long before he had been attached to the princesses, had been to keep watch over a Japonese hime, and he was quite fond of their stories and myths.

But then she faded away... they always do...

Shaking this melancholy remark from his mind, he quietly watched as this nin- no, samurai, samurai. It was a common corruption, but a ninja was not a samurai at all. He watched as he gave his story. Perhaps a native of Japon, but I haven't ever seen any of them in Equestria before. The tournament must have drawn him.

Engrossed in the story, he didn't even notice as one of his few companions meandered into the room...

@

Shelevan was quite excited, yet nervous when she signed her name underneath that of Agririon. He had told her that he wouldn't have been able to participate, yet he managed to arrive. How interesting. Passing her way through the less fanciful arch, she made her way downstairs rather inconspicuously, trying to avoid the light directly so that her mask wouldn't catch the light and start gleaming. Pausing for a moment to listen to the warrior who was telling everyone in the locker room a story, Shelevan skirted her way around, careful not to draw any attention off of him. She glanced into her locker, finding a pair of blades with almost impossibly sharp edges. They were quite skinny weapons, but they served her purpose well. She sheathed the blades and made her way over to sit down before catching her eye on a pony who was ruffling through a backpack. With a curious look on her face, she watched him for a moment, before walking to and then standing next to him, stating in a soft voice, "Hello."

• Brohoof 1

Shelevan was quite excited, yet nervous when she signed her name underneath that of Agririon. He had told her that he wouldn't have been able to participate, yet he managed to arrive. How interesting. Passing her way through the less fanciful arch, she made her way downstairs rather inconspicuously, trying to avoid the light directly so that her mask wouldn't catch the light and start gleaming. Pausing for a moment to listen to the warrior who was telling everyone in the locker room a story, Shelevan skirted her way around, careful not to draw any attention off of him. She glanced into her locker, finding a pair of blades with almost impossibly sharp edges. They were quite skinny weapons, but they served her purpose well. She sheathed the blades and made her way over to sit down before catching her eye on a pony who was ruffling through a backpack. With a curious look on her face, she watched him for a moment, before walking to and then standing next to him, stating in a soft voice, "Hello."

The lilac pony set the backpack down with the soft jangling sound of brass bumping up against brass to take a look up at his visitor. "Hello," he responded softly in response, his voice lilted with curiosity as his eyes lingered on the elegant mask and breezy cloak.

• Brohoof 1

A group of four new competitors approached the signup station. Each of them was more unusual than the last.

Snowstorm, an effeminate, blue haired pegasus with purple eyes and well groomed hair, a small katana strapped to his back like a saddle-bag.

Roto, a short unicorn with short black hair and devilish peering eyes. He wore a dark green trench coat that covered the majority of his body, but was opened in the front.

Havoc, a massive Minotaur wearing heavy armor of an unknown material. The armor didn't cover most of his body, only his face, chest, forearms and shins, as if they were designed to be training weights rather than combat gear.

And Mason, a small earth pony, even shorter than Roto, with scraggly black hair and yellow eyes. He appeared to be the ringleader of the group.

Mason approached the signup counter but didn't sign his name. "Team Yokai Seven," He said to the counter worker (Who I'm assuming exists), "We're here for the tournament."

@literally snails

The manager, orik, responded to them. " yokai seven? There's only four of you... Eh. Not my business to question. Just sign your name on these forms and be sure to put down a song that you want played during your entrance. Also, I'm required to inform you that there is a no killing rule."

He slid four registration forms to them from a folder. " I'm surprised that more teams didn't show up like yourselves. The only other team here is the divine retribution keepers.... All the rest are singular, really..."

The participants were interrupted by a suave, finely dressed stallion. He appeared to be the announcer.

Announcer: " alright everyone! The tournement is beginning! Everyone here has been selected to fight a random opponent, so don't whine if you find your matchup unfair! The first round will be Syuren Renoir Vs. Agririon! You both have 15 minutes to ready up and get in position to make your entrance! Remember, be as flashy as possible! Excite the crowd, and give a good show!" And to those not fighting yet, special seats have been reserved in the front row for competitors. Feel free to watch, if you so wish. The exit to those seats is on the left, when you first enter the locker room. now, lets put on a good show!"he then left, and walked out into the arena. He would stay there and announce the fighters.

@magos ampharose

Syuren eyed agririon. So this was to be his opponent? To syuren, he looked very shady. " yo, agririon! Looks like it's you and me! Try to keep up if you can!"

With this, syuren walked out of the locker room, and made his way outside. He would then fly into the sky, gathering clouds and pushing them, quite quickly over the colleseum. This was part of his plan to make his grand entrance when his name was called.

Before samurai equine continued with his story, Lorec looked at kazas and spoke.

_______

Lorec:

" I can already tell. Syuren is deadmeat."

Kazas answered back.

" oh c'mon Lorec! You never know! He might have a chance....."

Kazas then looked at agririon, and had a flashback of their adventure together. " on second thought.... You're right."

• Brohoof 1

@

"There are seven of us," Roto said while signing the form. He jokingly added, "But the other three happen to be extremely lazy and they didn't want to fight."

After their forms were signed, they heard the announcement that the fighting was beginning.

"We should be going," Snowstorm commented, "We wouldn't want to be late. To our own show."

Samurai Equine makes himself comfortable in the locker room. He has taken one of the lockers in the corner, and converted that corner into an oriental shrine of sorts. There are shoji screens, festive yellow lanterns, a lucky cat statue, incense burning in a bowl, a pair of wall scrolls with Japanese text on them, and the box containing his armory put to the side. Samurai is sitting upright on a fancy pillow, waving a paper fan over his face. He looks oddly still, yet he is observing Agririon, Encore, Syuren, and many other competitors that pass by and find their own lockers.

"Some of these competitors will be really strong. My magic is telling me they have more than their physical strength and tactics to rely on. I should be prepared..." Samurai Equine thinks to himself as his horn glows a few times. Finally, he decides to speak. "Come, champions all!! Before the tournament, if anyone would care to listen, and I shall tell you the tail of Momotaro! Once long ago, their lived an old married couple who lived a humble life as rice farmers. Though they toiled the fields, they were sad that they could not bear children of their own. However, one grateful evening, a giant peach floated down the stream near their village. As the old stallion gathered it and took it home for dinner, the old couple discovered a baby colt inside! ..." Samurai continues his story, entertaining some but mostly using it as an opportunity to better understand his fellow competitors.

After the Yokai seven entered the locker room, Snowstorm's ears picked up the sound of a stallion speaking of Momotaro's tale. He tracked the voice to its source and saw Samurai Equine as he told the tale. Snowstorm saw this as an opportunity. Someone with knowledge of Momotaro would certainly also know of the legendary Ben-kai.

Rudely, he interrupted the samurai to ask him a question. "You there, one who knows of the legends of your homeland," he interrupted, "Certainly you also know of the great Ben-kai?"

@literally snails
_______
Lorec:
" I can already tell. Syuren is deadmeat."

Kazas then looked at agririon, and had a flashback of their adventure together. " on second thought.... You're right."

(I'm assuming by your dialog that you've moved to the stands. If I'm wrong, pretend they're still in the locker room, I guess.)

Roto and Havoc were the only two members of team Yokai Seven to sit in the stands to watch the fight. They sat in the row of seats directly behind Kazas and Lorec.

Edited by Literally Snails

Samurai Equine continues to tell the tail, but as he does so, he notices Lorec taking the most interest without saying anything. Samurai even pauses for a quick moment just to look back at him. It's like they have an understanding, maybe a respectable one. But Samurai carries on with his story before it rouses any suspicion. "...And thus, having become a hero, he returns home with his riches to the mare and stallion who raised him. Graced by Momotaro's generosity, they were no longer poor, and they lived the rest of their days in a happier bliss than they've ever known. Now, in that spirit, I wish to share with all of you my great wealth. It is not much, but I hope the refreshing flavor doubles your warrior spirits--?"

Samurai was just finishing his story and cutting up plenty of fresh peaches with his magic, sharing it with the registered competitors who cared to listen to the story, when he is suddenly approached by Snowstorm. "I see. You're an anxious one. Hmm... Benkei, Benkei... Perhaps you mean the story of Oniwakamaru, the demon samurai who slayed 999 warriors, and yet hundreds more. Can you imagine what he must have gone through to obtain such strength? When I came here from Japon, I fought many battles and many more still just to make it here. It's not often a samurai from Japon is called to leave his homeland. In that sense, maybe he and I aren't so different..." As Samurai completes his answer, he looks at Snowstorm with interest as well.

Finally, after all the 'socializing' in the locker room, a match is set underway. Samurai makes his way to the seating area just for competitors. No one sees how, but he somehow manages to move his oriental decor with him.

• Brohoof 1

Samurai was just finishing his story and cutting up plenty of fresh peaches with his magic, sharing it with the registered competitors who cared to listen to the story, when he is suddenly approached by Snowstorm. "I see. You're an anxious one. Hmm... Benkei, Benkei... Perhaps you mean the story of Oniwakamaru, the demon samurai who slayed 999 warriors, and yet hundreds more. Can you imagine what he must have gone through to obtain such strength? When I came here from Japon, I fought many battles and many more still just to make it here. It's not often a samurai from Japon is called to leave his homeland. In that sense, maybe he and I aren't so different..." As Samurai completes his answer, he looks at Snowstorm with interest as well.

"You know the story well. I'm sure you also know that all legends are based in fact, though they may not all be accurate," Snowstorm said. He drew the blade from his back but kept it in its sheath. "In my quest to achieve greatness, I met many warriors of legend. Oniwakamaru was very real. The stories may have embellished his strength, but frankly I don't care. Our duel was a short one. As soon as he saw the Banshee Shriek's true form, he backed down from the fight. If you could call it a fight, that is."

@,

Agririon laughed lightly. "We shall see of his strength soon enough, but his actions will determine how hard I go on him." Chuckling, he started to walk out before he heard what a different pony said.

"You know the story well. I'm sure you also know that all legends are based in fact, though they may not all be accurate," Snowstorm said. He drew the blade from his back but kept it in its sheath. "In my quest to achieve greatness, I met many warriors of legend. Oniwakamaru was very real. The stories may have embellished his strength, but frankly I don't care. Our duel was a short one. As soon as he saw the Banshee Shriek's true form, he backed down from the fight. If you could call it a fight, that is."

But... that would mean that these new competitors...

He had heard of them before, these Yokai Seven. In fact, he had sent several of his servants out to confront them and try and make them see reason. All of them came back with the most horrible tales after their essences regathered in Mortus. A banshee-like warrior who summons skulls that bite through bone and wraithcloak alike. The demon that could manipulate his body...

Shooting a glare in the general direction of the pony who spoke, he stalked away without another word, trying not to imagine what they would use the cash for.

That is, if he let them win. Which he had no intention to.

Stretching, he stood outside the arena, awaiting for his name to be announced, his chosen scythe in hand, considering what he might do to cause an entrance with a lot of bling...

@,

Shelevan was content with watching and studying this stallion for a short period of time, trying not to feel too confronted or ashamed before sitting down on a nearby bench. "How are you doing this morning?" she said, smoothly. Noting to herself that the stallion had finished his story and everyone was moving to the upper stadium to watch, Shelevan decided to wait for this stallion to respond and throw a chance at a conversation before following the rest of the group up to watch the first match.

• Brohoof 1

@samurai equine

Lorec bowed his head and accepted the peach with both hands. He smiled, and bit into it. The peach was quite sweet, and juicy as well. While Lorec perferred the meat of the creatures he hunted in the woods, it was always great to have a change.

_____

Lorec:

" thank you for the gift.... I will remember. Tell me... For what reason in life... Was it that you chose a life of steel and honor?"

Lorec waited for a response, but was then somewhat distracted by snowstorm's comment. Without looking at snowstorm, he addressed him.

@literally snails

_____

Lorec:

" hubris... Has often been a slayer of those with power."

Kazas could tell. An aura of demonic energy was being exerted from snowstorm and mason. From havoc, another Minotaur, he sensed nothing evil. And from roto, a feint demonic power, probably the weakest of the group. He wondered if they could feel his own power along with Lorec's. lorec could feel them too, such as the primordial divines' ability to let them all feel out power from others.

He would keep his eye on them, especially mason. He seemed like kazas's total opposite. Kazas was the leader of the retribution, and mason looked as though he was the leader of the yokai seven... He wondered what would win out if they fought. Kazas's holy fire, granted to him by the pheonix lord soul imbued in his blade, or mason's powerful affinity for the demonic....

@magos ampharose

Kazas broke his thought process off. These yokai seven members were not the only newcomers. He spied a very familiar pony... It couldn't be... It looked as though some fates did indeed run parallel to each other. It was seer, or shelevan, as some knew her. His eye opened wide with surprise. His other eye was taken from him in the griffon reunification war. However, she seemed enthralled by a pony who looked to be the musical type. He wouldn't dare interrupt her conversation. That would be rude. He decided that he would catch up with her later.

The announcer came back in. " alright everyone! Five minutes till the first showdown! Feel free to go grab your seats! Syuren will be coming in first, from the skies it appears. He's got it looking like its going to rain up there with all the clouds that he had pushed over to make his grand entrance. Agririon, this gives you a little extra time to plan yours! Good luck, and may the best pony win!"

The announcer went back up to the arena.

Kazas:

" Lorec, looks like it's time. Lets go watch. Maybe we can spot alrahm and vorrin."

Lorec was somewhat displeased by the fact that he wouldn't get to hear samurai equine's answer.

@Samurai equine

Lorec looked at samurai equine, and bowed.

Lorec: " if we cross blades during the tournement... Tell me why you fight then." Lorec said with a smile. As he made his way to the competitors' observation spot, he spied a fellow Minotaur, and looked into his eyes. ".... Kin..." He said, as he then followed suit behind kazas.

• Brohoof 1

Lorec:

Snowstorm completely ignored the Minotaur, waiting for the samurai's response.

"You won't get to him with words like that. He's much too proud." Roto said to Lorec. He was following Lorec and Kazas to the stands with Havoc walking behind him. "My companions are quite rude. They don't know the first thing about pleasant conversation."

• Brohoof 1

@literally snails

Kazas looked behind him as roto finished speaking. He spoke back in a polite tone.

" ah... Well... Everyone is different, I suppose. The only reason Lorec said what he said was not to get to your friend, but as a lesson he thought he could offer. Of course, he is also extremely annoyed by showcases of what he seems to be extreme pride... So he could have been venting frustrations. Or, a combination of both."

Lorec had turned around completely, eying the other Minotaur. He sized him up. Judging from the weights, he pushed his body just as Lorec does with his hunts. Lorec allowed havoc a faint smile and nod.

Kazas stuck his claw out to shake with the pony.

______

Kazas:

" my name is kazas. Leader of the divine retribution, and keeper of the holy flame of ezerepth, the pheonix lord. This is Lorec. Third in command of the retribution, and the keeper of the sacred earth of viruden, the ursa king. It is a pleasure to meet you both."

_______

Likewise, Lorec stuck out his hand to shake with the fellow Minotaur.

@samurai equine

Lorec bowed his head and accepted the peach with both hands. He smiled, and bit into it. The peach was quite sweet, and juicy as well. While Lorec perferred the meat of the creatures he hunted in the woods, it was always great to have a change.

_____

Lorec:

" thank you for the gift.... I will remember. Tell me... For what reason in life... Was it that you chose a life of steel and honor?"

Lorec waited for a response, but was then somewhat distracted by snowstorm's comment. Without looking at snowstorm, he addressed him.

@literally snails

_____

Lorec:

The announcer came back in. " alright everyone! Five minutes till the first showdown! Feel free to go grab your seats! Syuren will be coming in first, from the skies it appears. He's got it looking like its going to rain up there with all the clouds that he had pushed over to make his grand entrance. Agririon, this gives you a little extra time to plan yours! Good luck, and may the best pony win!"

The announcer went back up to the arena.

Kazas:

" Lorec, looks like it's time. Lets go watch. Maybe we can spot alrahm and vorrin."

Lorec was somewhat displeased by the fact that he wouldn't get to hear samurai equine's answer.

@Samurai equine

Lorec looked at samurai equine, and bowed.

Lorec: " if we cross blades during the tournement... Tell me why you fight then." Lorec said with a smile. As he made his way to the competitors' observation spot, he spied a fellow Minotaur, and looked into his eyes. ".... Kin..." He said, as he then followed suit behind kazas.

This was an interesting event playing out between the two fellow competitors who could very well face either one of each other during this tournament. He really likes what Lorec has to say. "Such wise words deserve wise words in return... 'There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking.' - Lord Yamamoto, from his book the Hagakure. Oh! Where are my manners? You may call me Samurai Equine. It's best for ponies of my status to keep our real names hidden. And you two?" Samurai asks.

They give him their names. (I am going to assume Snowstorm gave his name and also the name of the group since they were proud to declare it earlier. If not, let me know and I'll edit my response.)

"Snowstorm? My, what a name. How fitting then that I should quote Yamamoto like that... I am surprised you managed to visit my country and leave with such ease. I sincerely hope we face each other in battle. I would love to put that Yokai title to the test. And Lorec, you'll come to know me better as well, in time. To you and your friends, take care." These are Samurai's final parting words before he goes off to watch the first match.

Edited by Samurai Equine
  • Brohoof 1

Kazas:

" my name is kazas. Leader of the divine retribution, and keeper of the holy flame of ezerepth, the pheonix lord. This is Lorec. Third in command of the retribution, and the keeper of the sacred earth of viruden, the ursa king. It is a pleasure to meet you both."

(I'm surprised you didn't reply to Magos. Shouldn't you start the fight?)

"Roto, no fancy titles here," Roto said, "Of course I've heard of both of you already. I always research my competition. Am I to assume you've heard of us as well?"

When Lorec tried to shake with Havoc, Havoc didn't allow him to. He kept his hands to his sides and didn't allow any pleasantries. The only response Lorec was given was a hard exhale of breath through havoc's nose.