Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anime Review - Puella Magi Madoka Magica

PonyFunk

OVERALL - 85/100

STORY - 64/100

Touching, heart-wrenching, and great action. I think the ending could have been a bit different though. Instead of Madoka becoming just "a concept" with only Homura remembering her, she could have made a wish that witches and magical girls never existed and that all magical girls could be normal once again, even those who became witches. All five main characters would become friends once again, with the world as it should be.

CHARACTER ENSEMBLE - 97/100!

MADOKA - 66/100

Cute, caring, and loving like Fluttershy. Though I think she could have been a little stronger and more willing to fight. She kind of has the "Sailor Moon Syndrome" as I like to call it.

SAYAKA - 80/100

Tough, feisty, stubborn, yet caring and well-intentioned like Rainbow Dash. Her courage is strong, yet her vulnerability is well fleshed out too.

HOMURA - 67/100

Aww...Why couldn't I see more of the original Homura, the one who was very Fluttershy-like and very lovable? It was good to see Homura have a mysterious, deadpan side to her, but too much of it made her more of a dull character. Her moments shine whenever her vulnerability and love for Madoka is shown, then I related to her more.

MAMI - 33/100

Darn it! Why couldn't I see more of her? She was killed off way too quickly. It's good to see one of the main characters die in sacrifice, but that was just way too quick. It would have been more powerful had she died later in the series. Other than that, she's kind, helpful, and good-spirited.

KYOKO - 77/100

Haha, love this character. She's very well rounded showing her stubborn, snarky side as well as her broken side. She shines when she's ready to fight while putting her friends ahead of herself.

ANIMATION/FIGHT SEQUENCES - 83/100

Imagine if the creators of Yellow Submarine were told they would be working on an anime series with creative fight sequences...this is probably what they would come up with. I only wish I could have seen a bit more. The only reason why I don't give this a higher score is because there's a lot more creative potential to be unleashed!

OVERALL - 85/100

STORY - 64/100

Touching, heart-wrenching, and great action. I think the ending could have been a bit different though. Instead of Madoka becoming just "a concept" with only Homura remembering her, she could have made a wish that witches and magical girls never existed and that all magical girls could be normal once again, even those who became witches. All five main characters would become friends once again, with the world as it should be.

Three points:

1. You're basically saying that a happy froofroo ending would have made the whole thing better when that would ruin the entire atmosphere the anime had.

2. You're assuming that the wish can be multilayered. The anime never specifies if it has to be specific, simple or what have you but asking for witches and magical girls to never exist and asking for all the girls to return to normal is asking for two different wishes.

3. The anime specifically pointed out that many of the world's greatest female heroines were magical girls. If magical girls had never existed than Jeanne D'arc and Cleopatra would never have had the strength to do what they had to. By asking for them to never exist you're taking away the influence of many inspirations throughout history.