Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria has a "binary" language.

I_wesley125

(edited)

I bet there are a ton of tiny elves running around inside of the typewriters doing all the writing. One button rewards the elves for writing something correctly and entertaining, while the second button punishes them should they produce sub-par work, and the third button tells them when to start and stop writing.

Conclusion, everything ponies write using a typewriter is: produced by slave labor, completely random, and written by elves.

That is all.

Edited by Vinyl Pon3 Scratch
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't even think Equestria has a coherent language/writing system. The writing system is different in other places, so chances are good that nobody gave the time to give Equestria its own conscript as producers are only coming up with random styles that looks like writing.

That, and as for the funny typewriter, I would think that they put only three keys to save time. Really, why spend so much time drawing so many little keys?

Edited by PixMeister
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

My guess... I think there are two keys and they have positions based on the direction they are pushed. You would need two 12 position switches to cover all the letters (straight down being the thirteenth position). If you also included 2 levels of pushing in then you could have an easier to manage 8 position switch on each side yielding 9x4=36 different characters which would be enough to also include numbers. If you wanted to be more complex and have a 12 position switch you would get 52 possibilities which would be enough to include punctuation etc. A 16 position switch with 2 levels (17x4=68 keys) would be enough to do upper and lower case, numbers, and punctuation. While such could be awkward to use (kind of easy to miskey) I think one could get used to it. I mean 16 positions is upper left, upper a little left, upper, upper a little right, upper right, a little up of right, right, a little down of right, lower right, etc. Yes one could get used to that.

Doesn't seem the most efficent language to use but it would be the only possible one i guess. Or maybe its just because it would look really akaward with them trying to type on a regular sized typewriter or something with those big hooves.

• 2 months later...

I'd read that!

I'm not quite sure what is meant by binary language, though. I did see that some of their letters face the opposite way, and certain words seem to be spelled slightly differently than ours though. (We have already heard them say AJ and RD)

Look:

post-2640-0-66917800-1333418749_thumb.png

And the morse code thing sounds good to me.

***Edit: Upon closer inspection, some words face the opposite way. I'm not sure I have an explanation. X3 Perhaps some of it has to do with the fact that children are writing it? LOL

This might just be a translation convention. Most of the writing is in incomprehensible squiggles unless we need to see it.

It is a good thing we have translators.

Morse code sounds good to me. Though its a little strange to think about that. Maybe it's like the keys on a phone.

Circle 1= ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO

Circle 2=PQRSTUVWXYZ

Spacebar=Spacebar

Hah. This old thread pops up.

I've also been thinking about this really interesting fact that there are IME's that lets people write any Chinese character on an electronic device with a 5 button keyboard. It works because Chinese is written in an extremely specific stroke order and any other order is considered improper. There's a button for a vertical, horizontal, curved (slanted?), bent strokes, and a dot. Press the buttons in a certain order, then a menu of possible characters pop up. Once you get close enough to have a Chinese character of choice, you select that character and then that character is written down on whatever you're typing in.

So pretty much... There's is the possibility of having a writing system that could work in a similar with two buttons plus the 'print' button. An even more complex writing system can work with just five... although the one I'm looking at has a bunch of punctuation buttons and there's a wild card probably in case somebody forget a stroke for a different character or something.

Edited by Pix3M

Heres what I think:

The show was just trying to be funny and not taken seriously XD

(like spongebobs toothbrush)

But a weird thing I think is the newspapers on that episode have different written language (english) then usual (weird pony language that has pictures for words like Egyptians)