Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP DVDs In Britain

Arctofire

Okay, so I live in the UK. Now I have always watched MLP online on Dailymotion, which is why is angers me that Hasbro took some of these sites down, because without it our fanbase would be a lot smaller. But I was thinking what are some genuine ways to watch them in the UK, I need to ask a few questions but I'm going to explain what I know. I can't buy the US imports because they are all region locked and are NTSC whereas my DVD player can only play PAL

Sky and Virgin Can Air The Hub: I'm unsure if in the US The Hub Network is free to air, but I know in the UK you can watch these on these satellite services.

ITunes: These are not region locked, and you can buy them anywhere in the world.

Netflix: Same As ITunes, except you pay for membership.

Season 1 DVD: In November the DVD for Season 1 came out in the United Kingdom.

Now here is where I have a few questions, Clear Vision signed a deal with Hasbro for the first 2 seasons a while back. Now up until recently when the boxset came out, these DVD's contained around 6 episodes which was an absolute rip off. Now Season 2 is currently doing the same and I reckon around this time next year we will get Season 2. But here's the question, what about S3, S4, and S5.

With Batman TAS we only got the first 2 seasons on DVD, which was kind of irritating, but will we get MLP. I mean it seems to be quite popular here, so could they do it.

Edited by Arctofire
  • Brohoof 1

On the day of a new episode, check out Equestria Daily, they usually post links to livestreams of the new episode, and an hour or so after the episode finishes, they usually put a YouTube and DailyMotion link to the episode which is usually better quality. The YouTube and DailyMotion videos are posted as unlisted and only usually last until the next episode.

This is how I watched Season 4 as another British Brony, hope it helps!

Hello @Arctofire!

As this thread looks to be about acquiring DVDs the thread has been moved to the merchandise sub-forum. Likewise I edited the topic title slightly to reflect this as I was somewhat confused by the intent.

Please make sure about the proper placement of your topics, and whether or not your thoughts are clear enough for others to comprehend. :)

Thank you, and have a good day. :)

I generally watch all things MLP here - http://www.watchcartoononline.com/anime/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic

It's pretty quick with uploads advert free, I believe Rainbow Rocks was immediately uploaded within the couple day's it was released. 

But Tiny Pop & POP does air MLP everyday the episodes vary from season to season, on Christmas day Equestria Girls was shown and I think Rainbow Rocks will be shown tomorrow to. Netflix UK pulled the MLP episodes which annoyed me as that was pretty much the only thing I really watched when I had time, in-terms of MLP episodes I wish the UK had something like the Hub which showed MLP episodes the day after it aired in the US. Dailymotion is good for quality but is really annoying with adverts, I highly suggest the link I posted above which has default HD already. 

One can only hope we get updated MLP episodes soon. 

I'm tired of watching repeats :(

• Brohoof 1

I've always ripped the vids from Youtube or Dailymotion ASAP from the airing, thus I now have every single episode and both films stored away. It would be nice if we could get the DVDs legit though, and, if they continue to receive such hordes watching, I reckon they'll release more over here. 

Just a thought, but couldn't you buy a US DVD or blu ray player, an adaptor (for the power plug), and the US versions of the DVDs?

might cost a bit of money, but seems like an easy way to do it imo

I don't know if this is on or off topic, but I want MLP:FIM seasons for digital download on Xbox Live and/or the Playstation Store.  I'm working my way to just digital entertainment.  However it's just Rainbow Rocks and the first Equestria Girls movie.  :(

On the day of a new episode, check out Equestria Daily, they usually post links to livestreams of the new episode, and an hour or so after the episode finishes, they usually put a YouTube and DailyMotion link to the episode which is usually better quality. The YouTube and DailyMotion videos are posted as unlisted and only usually last until the next episode.

This is how I watched Season 4 as another British Brony, hope it helps!

Yeah I know, I was just wondering when the DVD's were coming out. I've seen every episode of the show on those's site like I said in the OP.

But Tiny Pop & POP does air MLP everyday the episodes vary from season to season, on Christmas day Equestria Girls was shown and I think Rainbow Rocks will be shown tomorrow to. Netflix UK pulled the MLP episodes which annoyed me as that was pretty much the only thing I really watched when I had time, in-terms of MLP episodes I wish the UK had something like the Hub which showed MLP episodes the day after it aired in the US. Dailymotion is good for quality but is really annoying with adverts, I highly suggest the link I posted above which has default HD already. 

Surely Netflix haven't pulled it, I thought the US and UK Netflix were the same thing. But I have to say I'm almost offended that you thought that I was asking were to watch the episodes. Also is The Hub a free service in America, and can you even get it on Sky and Virgin, because it said it was satellite but nothing about it in the UK. Also I can't get Tiny Pop on my television and I have freeview, and it says its a free channel.

I'm kind of angry that we get DVD's so much later, Brits always get the short end of the stick when it comes to DVD releases :(.

Just a thought, but couldn't you buy a US DVD or blu ray player, an adaptor (for the power plug), and the US versions of the DVDs?

might cost a bit of money, but seems like an easy way to do it imo

While that would be good as I am kind of obsessed with things being Americanized, wouldn't it be cheaper to get a multi region player. I already have loads of plug adapters but their all UK - US. 

Edited by Arctofire

I never bought any MLP DVDs here in the UK, but I bet that (just like most TV show or movie released to DVD in the UK) they raised the audio pitch a bit higher for some reason. If you don't know what I mean, then just compare the music in these two videos:

US DVD:

UK DVD:

But, wait, if MysteriousBrony already uploaded every MLP episode and both Equestria Girls movies onto DailyMotion, then what's the point on buying the same thing on DVD?

Edited by James A Williams

Because Hasbro took down Pony Archive, and I'm worried that they will ban dailymotion too. This makes me mad because surely they know that these episodes being around the internet is making them MILLIONS monthly as people can easily join the fandom. They also surely know that many countries do not have access to the show. Please try and defend Hasbro by reassuring me because I really don't like being angry at them, and I also want to make sure that people in the country that I live in, CAN EVEN WATCH ANYWAY ELSE.

Hasbro will not take DailyMotion down, it's a site that doesn't directly relate to ponies. The worst Hasbro can do to DailyMotion is get rid of the MLP episodes on there which will be shortly re-uploaded by someone else :yay:.

However if you really want to watch MLP on tv I know that TinyPOP has it on their channel and maybe POP also, however the episodes vary everyday, it could be season 3 one morning and season 1 the next. I live in the UK as well, trust me DailyMotion is your best choice. ;)

I know that, and I meant the MLP videos on Dailymotion, of course it won't take the whole site down. But please why are Hasbro doing this, theses videos being around has brought more people into the fandom. It doesn't even make sense on a business perspective.

While that would be good as I am kind of obsessed with things being Americanized, wouldn't it be cheaper to get a multi region player. I already have loads of plug adapters but their all UK - US. 

Plug adaptors are of limited use for US devices. The US has a 120 volt electricity supply, while most other countries use between 220 V and 240 V (the UK has a 230 V supply like the rest of the EU). This can cause potentially dangerous issues with some devices. Also the US supply is at 60 Hz while Europe is 50 Hz. This can sometimes cause devices with motors to misbehave. DVD players have motors to spin the disc.

I second the recommendation to get a multi-region DVD player. You'll find them in pretty the same price range as region-2-only players, but they're not common, so ask someone in an electronics shop who seems to know what they're talking about.

You'd also need to make sure that your TV is capable of displayed NTSC pictures. Most recent flat-screen TVs can, but not all.

Personally my solution is just to download them from the Internet. We have a smart TV which can play MP4/AVI/MKV/etc files from a USB hard disk, and this is a lot more convenient than digging out DVDs, so as a consequence I end up even downloading most of the stuff we own on DVD anyway.

It doesn't even make sense on a business perspective.

I suppose that depends on where they get the majority of their money.

If most of their money comes from merchandise sales, then the TV show is effectively an advert for it, and having it as widespread as possible is to their advantage.

If a significant chunk of their revenue comes from licensing the TV show to broadcasters, then it being freely distributed on the Internet will reduce audience sizes for the officially licensed broadcasts, and thus reduce the amount they are willing to pay Hasbro for licences.

You also need to take into account the fact that the money doesn't all go into one big pot. There are likely many people involved in the making of the TV show and films (writers, voice actors, etc) who are not entitled to a share of profits from merchandising, but do get a slice of broadcast profits.

I know that, and I meant the MLP videos on Dailymotion, of course it won't take the whole site down. But please why are Hasbro doing this, theses videos being around has brought more people into the fandom. It doesn't even make sense on a business perspective.

The thing is though is that if the episodes & movies are freely available on sites like YouTube and DailyMotion, that's just less incentive for many people to legally purchase the show & movies.

The money from the purchases doesn't just go into the corporate hands of Hasbro; many other people depend on the profits of the show as well. While it's nice & all that they can be viewed freely, in a capitalistic economy it just doesn't work out to everyone's benefit.

In the end MLP is Hasbro's property and they have every right to have the episodes taken down. If it potentially works against their profit line, then they had best do what they can to protect that. It might seem harsh, but they have to do it.

I never bought any MLP DVDs here in the UK, but I bet that (just like most TV show or movie released to DVD in the UK) they raised the audio pitch a bit higher for some reason

NTSC (the TV encoding used in North America, Central America, and Japan) uses 24 frames per second, so each still image is shown on screen for 0.0417 seconds.

PAL (used in all of Europe except France and Russia, and in most of the rest of the world) uses 25 frames per second, so each still image is shown on screen for 0.0400 seconds.

If you take NTSC video and show it on a PAL system, then frames intended to be shown for 0.0417 seconds will be shown for 0.4000 seconds instead. That is, the video plays 4% faster. So you need to speed the audio up too. Playing sound faster makes it higher pitched. A 4% speed increase causes a 0.7067 semitone pitch increase.

The alternative is instead of speeding up the audio, to introduce one extra frame per second into the PAL video. This is very hard to do without introducing judders or flickers. So this is rarely done.

So this is why American video broadcast in Europe goes up in pitch by almost a semitone, and European video broadcast in America correspondingly goes down almost a semitone.

NTSC (the TV encoding used in North America, Central America, and Japan) uses 24 frames per second, so each still image is shown on screen for 0.0417 seconds.

PAL (used in all of Europe except France and Russia, and in most of the rest of the world) uses 25 frames per second, so each still image is shown on screen for 0.0400 seconds.

If you take NTSC video and show it on a PAL system, then frames intended to be shown for 0.0417 seconds will be shown for 0.4000 seconds instead. That is, the video plays 4% faster. So you need to speed the audio up too. Playing sound faster makes it higher pitched. A 4% speed increase causes a 0.7067 semitone pitch increase.

The alternative is instead of speeding up the audio, to introduce one extra frame per second into the PAL video. This is very hard to do without introducing judders or flickers. So this is rarely done.

So this is why American video broadcast in Europe goes up in pitch by almost a semitone, and European video broadcast in America correspondingly goes down almost a semitone.

Wow. Did you copy and paste that from Wikipedia or something. Thanks for the info anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

NTSC (the TV encoding used in North America, Central America, and Japan) uses 24 frames per second

I'm pretty sure NTSC is 29.97 frames per second, and it's ATSC and DVB in America and Europe now anyway.  NTSC and PAL were analog technologies.  However, I'm not sure what the new frame rates are.  They're probably the same as before.  24 frames per second is usually film, but I do remember there being something about a 4% speed up though.

I have been searching and apparently Netflix is shutting down MLP which is really frustrating. But at least people in the U.S get DVD's which arn't just season 1. I have to ask WHY does everything need to be different between US and UK, I hate being British and want to emigrate to America when I'm older, but that's beside the point.

I looked into it and apparently UK and US Netflix are different, and for no reason what so ever MLP isn't on there. Why. Is their any way in the UK to watch this show.

I hate this country, is there a way that people who live in the UK can watch MLP legit, because I'm really pissed off.

I have seen all the episodes of the show on Dailymotion, but this really bugs me. 

(edited)

So they go out of their way to get that shitty movie out all over the world, when we can't get Friendship is Magic ANYWHERE.

Sorry, I'm just really pissed off right now, I have honestly had enough of living in this country. Why didn't Netflix just put it it in this country, it really would be that easy. Why do they have to make such a fuss. I saw on Amazon there is season 1 and season 2 BUT WHY.

I'm in tears right now, I'm sorry but I am.

Edited by Arctofire