Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Disappointment at the childhood's beloved shows...

I love Jelly Otter

Back in the 90s I had access to Cartoon Network until it went off for me in 1999 & apart from it being a dedicated cartoons channel (which was good at that time compared to current CN, if I can say so), it had lotsa classic Hanna-Barbera stuff I loved - Top Cat, Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, The Fruitties & etc crap mixed with some "new" & ugly yet interesting crap like Dexter's Laboratory, 2 Stupid Dogs (excelllent show though!), Johnny Bravo, Ed, Edd & Eddy & etc.  Then at one day in 1999 CN went off for me & I was so upset/depressed about it that couldn't overcome it for like a year or so, yet was left with a huge pack of memories/nostalgia about that channel & those cartoons.  Eventually, now that there's internet & all shows I saw are available like watch whatever/whenever you want, but I didn't bother checking if only intros of those shows I saw until one day when I decided to finally have a raid at it.  And well, what do you know?   I never thought all those classic HB cartoons were so lame & lifeless like I don't know...  If I exclude the "classic" part & simply compare what I see there with any current show that I call shitty - even something like the Breadwinners or Gravity Falls will be amazing!   Exactly, I'm talking about the animation.  Take a some rare 80s cartoon like The Frutties I loved back then.  Apart from a catchy song in the intro, the whole show is made of still images where only the mouth is what moves all the time, like if it's a some anime!  Oh & there are coloring errors... A LOT!  It gets even hilarious if object's motions are put in a loop for some 5 or more seconds & the same coloring error repeats over & over.  Not only lifeless animation, but even worse voicing...  I mean voices are good, butallcharacterssaytheirlineslikethis before there's a pause before another character starts his monotone talking.  I couldn't watch an episode for long enough... it was just unbearable.   I decided to check Top Cat then.  Same cheap animation but even more unbearable with every character nodding his head during talking... not only it was annoying to see but I weirdly felt like I myself needed to nod my head too in rhythm with the character, lol!   BUT, what I did enjoy is Spumco's pwnage of HB cartoons, like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgTE4p6u8qc  

Anyone else had a similar disappointment once in their lives regarding the shows you saw & loved back then?

Edited by I love Jelly Otter
  • Brohoof 1

I say this for everyone that is my age or anyone about 20 years old.

We grew up with the good cartoons. Kids next door, scooby doo, dexters lab, courage the cowardly dog, ed, edd, eddy, etc.

Now, in this generation. CN and Nick have put out some REALLY stupid shows and are just complete utter crap.

I'm saddened that they won't get to grow up with the real cartoons like when I was growing up.

It's shameful. CN and Nick should be ashamed for putting out crappy cartoons these days. It's disgusting.

• Brohoof 1

I know I suffered that one with Cow N' Chicken. If I couldn't watch it again as a young teen, much less as an adult, yeah, it was cool as a kid where your sense of perception is low, but once you grow up, you notice the dumb characters, anoying voices, and ugly art style. I won't deny I enjoyned it as a child, but it's one of those shows that it's better to leave in one's childhood 

I know what you mean. I used to watch the wacky races when I was a kid and I never noticed how formulaic it was. Dick Dastardly sets up a trap, something goes wrong, he gets run over, muttley laughs. I still have fond memories of those days though.

• Brohoof 1

I know what you mean. I used to watch the wacky races when I was a kid and I never noticed how formulaic it was. Dick Dastardly sets up a trap, something goes wrong, he gets run over, muttley laughs. I still have fond memories of those days though.

Still like that show, in a stupid sort of way.

• Brohoof 1

That was my most beloved show there too.   

• Brohoof 1

I remember a show I used to like, but now, I can't stand.... Chuck Jones's take of Tom and Jerry. They tonned down the slapstick commedy, bad SFX, and declined animation compared to the previous takes 

Wow, dat show doe...

Also, not for me. All the shows I used to watch remain awesome to this day (Invader Zim, Ed Edd and Eddy, Billy and mandy, etc...)

Guess I'm lucky in this case.. >: D

Edited by baltosaa

For me, it would have to be Ren & Stimpy. At the time I just loved the stupid humor, but anymore it just feels like the grand-daddy of the the various 'stupid humor' based cartoons we see these days.

However, my love for some cartoons from back in the day has only increased...hmmm...