Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Trying to draw my own art of my OC

Shadowdragon6060

My advice is to draw all the body parts in the same style. The body looks really anthro, but then the head looks really cartoonish. Like, imagine putting a head from the powerpuff girls onto the body of a human bodybuilder. Maybe make the head more horse-ish? 

• Brohoof 2

anthro_shadow_dragon_by_shadowdragon6060

It looks Ok, but there are many things that can be improved both on an artistic and character perspective..

The color scheme for your character itself is great, being monochromatic with purple as the base color.. But with the pants being teal, it may look better if perhaps your headband were blue, making the color scheme analogous.. which is a calmer and more pleasing theme, the second most commonly used color scheme in the show..

Proportions are great, but the head could be a little bigger ;)

Ummm.. It's not a good idea to use such bright colors for underpants with a darker colored character.. our eyes are drawn to bright colors in the scene and that bulge is not the thing we want to look at xD

Make it the same brightness or preferably darker than the point of focus (being the head and/or hair,) and perhaps make it a shade of purple as well..

Yeah, that way you can leave your headband red, because red is a color used to get the attention of viewers, and a red headband will guide the viewer even better..

Speaking of colors, the background color is a little too striking and it makes it harder to see your character, try experimenting on the color or texture of the background and find one that you think looks best :)

There's not much other advice i can give though, as I myself don't draw anthro and thus I can't give any specific pointers and stuff..

But yeah.. hope this helped, and keep up the good work :D

It looks Ok, but there are many things that can be improved both on an artistic and character perspective..

The color scheme for your character itself is great, being monochromatic with purple as the base color.. But with the pants being teal, it may look better if perhaps your headband were blue, making the color scheme analogous.. which is a calmer and more pleasing theme, the second most commonly used color scheme in the show..

Proportions are great, but the head could be a little bigger ;)

Ummm.. It's not a good idea to use such bright colors for underpants with a darker colored character.. our eyes are drawn to bright colors in the scene and that bulge is not the thing we want to look at xD

Make it the same brightness or preferably darker than the point of focus (being the head and/or hair,) and perhaps make it a shade of purple as well..

Yeah, that way you can leave your headband red, because red is a color used to get the attention of viewers, and a red headband will guide the viewer even better..

Speaking of colors, the background color is a little too striking and it makes it harder to see your character, try experimenting on the color or texture of the background and find one that you think looks best :)

There's not much other advice i can give though, as I myself don't draw anthro and thus I can't give any specific pointers and stuff..

But yeah.. hope this helped, and keep up the good work :D

THIS WEBSITE IS BEAUTIFUL

I will go fix the jeans and background.

• Brohoof 1

It's amazing how a small change in the color of an art piece can change the result and make it that much better ;)

sig-4211545.qb9Qhns.png

Notice how the red tattoo and head band draws you to the face and chest of your character..

They're like an "anchor" if you will.. keeping your focus while still letting you drift around and explore the scene.. in this case the face and all the features of your anthro character.. and the darker background helps keep you focused on the foreground (where your character is) :D

If you're interested in learning more about colors and color harmonies, watch this detailed and very helpful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj1FK8n7WgY

Though Andrew Price (The one voicing and showing the video) is a CGI animator who uses Blender, the concepts applies to basically any art ;)

Edited by AURAequine

It's amazing how a small change in the color of an art piece can change the result and make it that much better ;)

sig-4211545.sig-4211545.qb9Qhns.png

Notice how the red tattoo and head band draws you to the face and chest of your character..

They're like an "anchor" if you will.. keeping your focus while still letting you drift around and explore the scene.. in this case the face and all the features of your anthro character.. and the darker background helps keep you focused on the foreground (where your character is) :D

If you're interested in learning more about colors and color harmonies, watch this detailed and very helpful video:

Though Andrew Price (The one voicing and showing the video) is a CGI animator who uses Blender, the concepts applies to basically any art ;)

sig-4211545.sig-4211545.qb9Qhns.png

If you're interested in learning more about colors and color harmonies, watch this detailed and very helpful video:

Wow, that's really good! I'd already been making my own one. (Also that Cutie Mark has to be purple, Ashmodeus's one is Red.)

http://shadowdragon6060.deviantart.com/art/Anthro-Shadow-Dragon-571785747?ga_submit_new=10%253A1447447272&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1I'd already thought I fixed it, but... I might go change the background to black. Would that be ripping you off?

Wow, that's really good! I'd already been making my own one. (Also that Cutie Mark has to be purple, Ashmodeus's one is Red.)

http://shadowdragon6060.deviantart.com/art/Anthro-Shadow-Dragon-571785747?ga_submit_new=10%253A1447447272&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1I'd already thought I fixed it, but... I might go change the background to black. Would that be ripping you off?

The one i showed was an edited version of your image xD It's your art, so you can't rip anyone off for advice they give for free :lol:

And you're saying that's the cutie mark? in that case it shouldn't be showing.. because you see, the cutie mark is located on the upper thigh of the leg.. so it wouldn't be visible..

(Or you could possibley half show it..? like.. half of the cutie mark visible from each side of the body, being half obstructed by the pants? :huh: )

Hmm.. with the background it's still a little too vivid and saturated, if you still wanna keep the purple, reduce the background saturation ;)

Edited by AURAequine

The one i showed was an edited version of your image xD It's your art, so you can't rip anyone off for advice they give for free :lol:

And you're saying that's the cutie mark? in that case it shouldn't be showing.. because you see, the cutie mark is located on the upper thigh of the leg.. so it wouldn't be visible..

(Or you could possibley half show it..? like.. half of the cutie mark visible from each side of the body, being half obstructed by the pants? :huh: )

Hmm.. with the background it's still a little too vivid and saturated, if you still wanna keep the purple, reduce the background saturation ;)

Ok. I'll do that. I was wondering at first if it would be too hidden, and you wouldn't be able to see it. But ok, I'll fix it.

• 1 month later...