Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I can't believe it's fiction!

Knightgem

First I want to say that I wasn't sure where else to put this, but if it needs to be moved feel free to do so

As I dive deeper and deeper in to writing (fan)fiction. I notice that there some ponies that go way over the top when it comes to character creation and plot, leaving more questions than answers. While amazing feats of strength and super powers may be great. Has anyone actually thought of their flaws, weaknesses, their characters inner character? I mean sure those without a cutiemark have their reasons, much like the CMC(Cutiemark crusaders) in trying weird and strange things, but your already OC? What drove them to their cutiemark and indeed to do what they do?

Character creation is not just something that happens overnight, for some it takes months, some even longer and to help you get started "The five W's" are here to help.

Who
What
Where
Why
and
When

Who: Growing up and how they came to be the way they are.(personality, strengths, flaws, likes,dislikes, friends. Etc)

What: What race? What makes them special? (Their drive, their want to do something)

Where: Where they grew up, how they got there, what reason do they have for being there(if any)? (Time and place of childhood)

Why: This may be a bit confusing for some. Why is the answer to their 'What'. Explaining in detail how said thing makes them special

When: This goes along with 'Who' and 'Where'. Every story has a timeline, wether it's an alternitive or current. Knowing what is/could be current at the time regards to technology, ponies alive, plant life even. Every aspect of a story may have an effect on how the reader reacts to the world that you have created and for that to happen, much like the characters, it needs to be believeble.

I am more than happy to help. I am by no means an expert, but I enjoy talking about 'The five W's' with fellow writers and hope this is a help to anyone new and planning to write some fiction.  Good luck to all you ponies.