gaming Best/Worst First Impressions of a Game

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Like a lot of media, our opinion on games can be heavily dictated by our initial impressions of said game. If we feel good about it early on, that feeling may .inger, making us enjoy the game more. On the other side, a bad first impression can sour the experience early and impact how we feel about the game overall or even make us stop playing outright.

So that is the question here. What games gave you your best first impressions or even your worst? Did this make you continue playing or stop altogether?

A game I now love was a game that I had horrendous first impressions for; Elite Dangerous. This game is an absolute nightmare for new players. With an ungodly amount of different things to learn sided with terrible tutorials, my first impressions of the game were terrible and this was a game I was waiting so long for. I basically needed the Wiki open at all times and even with that, it took me several, frustrating hours to get a grip on what I wanted to do. Even docking was a pain in the ass for a long time. Now I love the game and most things in it are second nature for me, but I do not begrudge anyone for feeling put off after playing the game for the first time. 

KyoshiFrostWolfSIG1.jpg.b0b2e3d0d15e6abf25982983986dcba1.jpg

Starfox Command and Starfox Zero both had terrible first impressions. Both had poor starts to the story and unusual controls. Starfox Command grew on me once I figured out the controls 

Starfox Zero is still a steaming turd though 

I had some pretty bad first impressions of Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii. Had a bunch of annoying cousins over when I first played em. Shoulda waited lmao (they were hella loud,whiny toddlers btw).

After giving both games more time, I still was rather disappointed. Super Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart 64 are the best games in their respective franchises (imo). And going from the insane depth of those two titles to the much more shallow "pick up and play" experiences of Galaxy and MK Wii was quite the bad first impression of my Wii console -.- And I played both games to 100% completion too (what a mistake that was lol).