Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if Don Bluth directed the movie?

eddeams

For anyone who doesn't know, Don Bluth is a former Disney animator known for movies such as the Secret of NIMH, An American Tail, and the Land Before Time. However, he has been out of the animation business ever since his last movie Titan A.E. bombed at the box office. (Though he seems to be trying to make a return to it)

What do you think the My Little Pony movie had been like if directed by Bluth? How would it differ from the movie we know of and how would he apply his trademark style to it?

• Brohoof 1

I'm sorry, but none of those were Disney. They were actually produced by Amblin Entertainment and Sullivan Bluth Ltd, distributed by Universal. But he did direct it, it might have been a lot more darker or at least had darker themes than what we got.

Bluth has tendency towards making 'Watership Down' cartoons, just without the gore. It would be pretty scary, somebody would have died, and someone else would probably 'appear' to be dead for half of the film. The pirates would have gotten into an air battle against Tempest's flagship, the actual Royal Guard would've been fighting against the Storm Troopers when the invasion started, and three Alicorns wouldn't have been taken down by a deus ex machina in less than a minute.

• Brohoof 3

9 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

Bluth has tendency towards making 'Watership Down' cartoons, just without the gore. It would be pretty scary, somebody would have died, and someone else would probably 'appear' to be dead for half of the film. The pirates would have gotten into an air battle against Tempest's flagship, the actual Royal Guard would've been fighting against the Storm Troopers when the invasion started, and three Alicorns wouldn't have been taken down by a deus ex machina in less than a minute.

Pretty much, the movie would have been awesome and made so much more sense.

4 hours ago, Dreadmare said:

I'm sorry, but none of those were Disney. They were actually produced by Amblin Entertainment and Sullivan Bluth Ltd, distributed by Universal. But he did direct it, it might have been a lot more darker or at least had darker themes than what we got.

8 hours ago, eddeams said:

For anyone who doesn't know, Don Bluth is a former Disney animator known for movies such as the Secret of NIMH, An American Tail, and the Land Before Time. However, he has been out of the animation business ever since his last movie Titan A.E. bombed at the box office. (Though he seems to be trying to make a return to it)

What do you think the My Little Pony movie had been like if directed by Bluth? How would it differ from the movie we know of and how would he apply his trademark style to it?

>former Disney animator

OP said it was a former disney animator, not that those movies were disney movies.

• Brohoof 1

Don Bluth was a pioneer of animation and storytelling back in the day. Sometime during the 90s, he lost sight of how to tell great stories and had too many flops to keep his studio open. I don't know if I would want him touching MLP.

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

Don Bluth was a pioneer of animation and storytelling back in the day. Sometime during the 90s, he lost sight of how to tell great stories and had too many flops to keep his studio open. I don't know if I would want him touching MLP.

Yeah, I guess. Would you like some pony life with that? Or would you prefer an extra size of school of friendship instead?

Let's face it, almost anyone could have done better than the crew that stayed after season 7. They barely knew anything about the first seasons and didn't even bother to actually take some time to get to know the universe and characters before daring write down their scripts. What happened? Lesson reruns (given they didn't know the lessons had been already seen several times over the years) over and over again and many inconsistencies.

• Brohoof 1

If Don Bluth or his Company Don Bluth Productions made the Movie or directed it, it would probably have been one of the most Beautiful animated Masterpieces of all time, sadly we will never get to see his take on it because his Company went bankrupt, but it would have been magic and possibly more darker as well.

Edited by Lex Destrosio

• 1 year later...