Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted A sketch of Comet Quartz

Ittoni

(edited)

Pony/horse anatomy is complicated. I tried to do them laying down on their stomach but I actually don't know how those legs work. 

Any suggestions?

And here's another unrelated pic too just for fun

15957006101287442737190559822546.jpg

15957007199003479611908131073204.jpg

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 3

I would suggest looking more at dog and cat anatomy as they're less lanky, and you can better see how they fold the limbs even though horses are capable of doing the same positions for the most part.

You might want to look at the anatomy references from this thread

Now, in my opinion, you're doing good. Your ponies are close to the show style, yet, they look slightly fluffier which on itself is kind of cuter for my taste.

The real issue I see is on the one laying down. His hind leg has a bit of too long hoof. Aside from that, maybe the thickness, though that isn't necessarily wrong but maybe a different approach.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

You might want to look at the anatomy references from this thread

Now, in my opinion, you're doing good. Your ponies are close to the show style, yet, they look slightly fluffier which on itself is kind of cuter for my taste.

The real issue I see is on the one laying down. His hind leg has a bit of too long hoof. Aside from that, maybe the thickness, though that isn't necessarily wrong but maybe a different approach.

Thanks! I will check it out. Will definitely benefit from some structural drawings to understand it better

• 7 months later...

Anatomy seems ok, especially that elbow what are away from the barrel like greyhounds. In my opinion equestrian pony's forelimbs look like that if we want they reach to brush their mane and teeth and wear clotches.
Closest animal to our ponies are cat, i think.
Baron-Engel are good artist who have quite good imagination of little ponies' anatomy.

• 3 weeks later...

I think their anatomy is similar to real world horses except for some limb addition like horns and wings and how the limbs work. You can find some tutorials and guides of it. For now we just had to assume its magic or like I said, their some of their anatomy is different.