Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony drawing

Starset Twinkle

Let me say first that I currently have no skill in visual arts whatsoever. As of right now, I'd hesitate to draw anything beyond a stick figure. However, seeing all the wonderful artwork on here has encouraged me to try to be able to create things myself. I will try to post regularly on here and work to improve my skills. Remember, I literally have never drawn anything beyond doodles, so please don't dunk on me, I know it's basically a 3-year old's drawing, but I gotta start somewhere!

pony1.thumb.jpg.9d7bb4bf4e60b1aa4962fd42144fd4b8.jpg

I will try to spend at least 15-30 minutes on the next drawing. This one took 3 attempts and about 5 minutes (I told you I am a complete novice). The first two were stick figure abominations.

• Brohoof 6

• The title was changed to Pony drawing
42 minutes ago, Starset Twinkle said:

Let me say first that I currently have no skill in visual arts whatsoever. As of right now, I'd hesitate to draw anything beyond a stick figure. However, seeing all the wonderful artwork on here has encouraged me to try to be able to create things myself. I will try to post regularly on here and work to improve my skills. Remember, I literally have never drawn anything beyond doodles, so please don't dunk on me, I know it's basically a 3-year old's drawing, but I gotta start somewhere!

I will try to spend at least 15-30 minutes on the next drawing. This one took 3 attempts and about 5 minutes (I told you I am a complete novice). The first two were stick figure abominations.

Everyone starts somewhere! I'm excited to see your journey! :)

Here's an example...

Circles and lines the basics 

sketch-1659596667397.thumb.jpg.e0d5c2961ab77406b0b92b7ce08b6547.jpg

Then when you're done you fix it up... But make sure you can easily erase the outlines... So if you are drawing on paper and pencil... Make sure your lead is hard so the sketch would be light.

And once you add the finishing touches you use soft lead pencils.

But in my case this drawing is on my cellphone, so I can just layer it and remove it. Like this.

sketch-1659535801768.jpg

• Brohoof 2

15 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Circles and lines the basics 

Then when you're done you fix it up... But make sure you can easily erase the outlines... So if you are drawing on paper and pencil... Make sure your lead is hard so the sketch would be light.

And once you add the finishing touches you use soft lead pencils.

But in my case this drawing is on my cellphone, so I can just layer it and remove it. Like this.

Thanks for the advice, it's always welcome! Maybe one day I'll be as good as you! :)

(edited)

Alright, my second drawing is complete. For this one I decided to draw Starlight using a reference photo. I figured using a reference would be a next good step. I did not trace this over the reference (that's probably fairly obvious >.<), I drew it while looking back and forth at the picture. It took me about 1 hour and the mane was the hardest part for me. Thank Celestia she didn't also have wings!

pony2.thumb.jpg.a74b36006a050dbb4ef7e8769fbe9572.jpg

Edited by Starset Twinkle
  • Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, Divine plywood said:

Remarkable advancement already between the two drawings. Keep up the good work!

Something about the stick-pony and it's expression really made my day ^_^

Thanks so much!! I knew I couldn't really draw anything fancy with the stick pony, so I tried to make it a bit silly and cute to make up for that.

4 hours ago, Starset Twinkle said:

Alright, my second drawing is complete. For this one I decided to draw Starlight using a reference photo. I figured using a reference would be a next good step. I did not trace this over the reference (that's probably fairly obvious >.<), I drew it while looking back and forth at the picture. It took me about 1 hour and the mane was the hardest part for me. Thank Celestia she didn't also have wings!

Actually you should try tracing a drawing

14 hours ago, Starset Twinkle said:

Awesome! :rarity:

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, the stick figure is too cute. It's a start, and basic lines and shapes are imperative to understand as they form the foundation of art! 

The Starlight drawing is such a huge jump between the two and looks amazing! I do the same thing with some drawings where I look at a reference repeatedly and try to emulate it. Again, it helps with building your skills! Well done! 

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Splashee said:

Awesome! :rarity:

16 hours ago, Aticus the Adequate said:

Honestly, the stick figure is too cute. It's a start, and basic lines and shapes are imperative to understand as they form the foundation of art! 

The Starlight drawing is such a huge jump between the two and looks amazing! I do the same thing with some drawings where I look at a reference repeatedly and try to emulate it. Again, it helps with building your skills! Well done! 

Thank you for the advice and compliments! I really appreciate it! I'm happy to hear any suggestions so don't hesitate if you notice something. :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Okie dokie lokie, here it is! This is another reference drawing, I'll probably keep doing these for a while until I gain a lot of confidence in my skills. This one took me much longer than I thought it would (like 3 hours, over two sessions), mostly because I think I bit off more than I could chew for my skill level. I wanted to draw ponies in a setting, but perhaps I should have started with something simpler... I left out the stuff inside the wagon in the background. Also, poor Trixie's leg got ripped because I had to redraw it so many times. I'm still pretty happy with the result though and am definitely feeling a bit more confident. If only I could color them, but I don't have the supplies to do that right now.

pony3.thumb.jpg.7d58485f1d03bd171acdb74776eabfaf.jpg

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Starset Twinkle said:

Okie dokie lokie, here it is! This is another reference drawing, I'll probably keep doing these for a while until I gain a lot of confidence in my skills. This one took me much longer than I thought it would (like 3 hours, over two sessions), mostly because I think I bit off more than I could chew for my skill level. I wanted to draw ponies in a setting, but perhaps I should have started with something simpler... I left out the stuff inside the wagon in the background. Also, poor Trixie's leg got ripped because I had to redraw it so many times. I'm still pretty happy with the result though and am definitely feeling a bit more confident. If only I could color them, but I don't have the supplies to do that right now.

pony3.thumb.jpg.7d58485f1d03bd171acdb74776eabfaf.jpg

Whoa, this one's really good!!

Drawing #4 is completed. I decided to go with @Kujamih's suggestion and draw a building! I'm pretty happy with the result so thanks for the idea! I went with the Ponyville Schoolhouse because it's a charming building that I have much affection for. Took me about 3 hours again, but no rips this time! Sorry if anyone was hoping for a cute pony!

pony4.thumb.jpg.63e1f3bea385e5e161c2d75fe56c7432.jpg

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-08-04 at 1:17 AM, Starset Twinkle said:

Pony art is not lovely just because of your skill level.  There are many great pony artist who started with stick figures like you :>

I'm interest in seeing your journey and Im convinced you will have a wonderful experience :>

Ponies made me rediscover my love for drawing last year, so you are really not alone :>

These pictures are really not bad. I think you are doing pretty good

have fun and let these drawing keep coming!

2 minutes ago, Astral Soul said:

Pony art is not lovely just because of your skill level.  There are many great pony artist who started with stick figures like you :>

I'm interest in seeing your journey and Im convinced you will have a wonderful experience :>

Ponies made me rediscover my love for drawing last year, so you are really not alone :>

These pictures are really not bad. I think you are doing pretty good

have fun and let these drawing keep coming!

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm really enjoying this so far, even if it can be very frustrating, lol

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Starset Twinkle said:

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm really enjoying this so far, even if it can be very frustrating, lol

You are welcome.

Hehe, yes ist will be, more than once xD There are so many pictures I've abandoned and these which worked I need a long time to finish them xD This is normal and belongs to this process

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Astral Soul said:

You are welcome.

Hehe, yes ist will be, more than once xD There are so many pictures I've abandoned and these which worked I need a long time to finish them xD This is normal and belongs to this process

By the way, I looked at the art you've posted on Deviantart and I really like them a lot, I especially like the Rara & Moondancer ones, sooo pretty :)

The sleeping Twilight, and Starlight's nightmare ones also made me laugh

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, Starset Twinkle said:

By the way, I looked at the art you've posted on Deviantart and I really like them a lot, I especially like the Rara & Moondancer ones, sooo pretty :)

The sleeping Twilight, and Starlight's nightmare ones also made me laugh

Thank you very much :>

Last year I started also with pencil sketches

This was the first one I uploaded

Spoiler

page1_800.jpg

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
14 minutes ago, Astral Soul said:

Thank you very much :>

Last year I started also with pencil sketches

This was the first one I uploaded

Hide contents

page1_800.jpg

So organized! I should try practicing specific simple things multiple times like that

• Brohoof 1