Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cool Literary Techniques in FiM?

Comrade Friendship

I was wondering what literary techniques you guys have found in FiM (or Brony music/writing that follows canon) that you think are really cool.

These can include things like symbolism, foreshadowing, irony, allusions, and MORE!

Even if you think it's obvious (or a stretch) please share!

But, there's no reason to also share cool references (of which I know there are many) if you want

I'll start it off simple: Twilight's name is a reference to how twilight is in between day and night, and she joins Celestia and Luna as a princess

Twilight_Sparkle_reading_S4E09.thumb.webp.a1853e333a79ea002fbbb0773f6d678d.webp

So keep an open mind while watching (or reading or listening to) poni, and come back here when you find something!

• Brohoof 1

TVTropes has a pretty extensive list of allusions.

Just off the top of my head, there's dramatic irony in "Castle Mane-ia" and a couple other episodes done for gags, as well as foreshadowing of the Rainbow Power keys throughout season four, and the foreshadowing of Starlight's return in the background of some scenes.

• Brohoof 2

One I always like is the title of the show. "Friendship is magic" is not only true is the metaphoric sense, as in it brings a lot of joy, happiness and can help us overcome a lot of things, but in Equestria, it's also literally magic, as in a great source of power. So for us it's just a simple connotation of how friendship is a benefit to one's life, but for the ponies it's an evolutionary trait needed to survive.

They're also a lot of religious undertone, especially in the earlier seasons, where everyone treat Celestia like a god-figure.

Easy ones, I know, but I like it.

• Brohoof 1

My personal favorites are simpler, like "Angel" being an ironic name (though there are times where he means well), and the outline of Fluttershy's mane in the shape of a heart!

It also occurred to me that Cozy Glow's cutie mark is a chess piece. That's smart considering what she was up to and how she did it, though the meaning of her name still flies over my head. :sealed:

• Brohoof 3

Ok guys, are you ready for your mind to be blown?

Spoiler

The rainbow is a symbol.

Lol, but seriously it symbolizes the teamwork and friendship they have. Oh, and their harmony, since, you know, the elements of harmony summon one like every time. But its a good symbol because its made up of a bunch of different colors, but they are all key parts of making light (scientifically and just how the rainbow is bright). Plus, it comes after rain so its kinda also like hope.

In Let the Rainbow Remind You, they pretty much say this explicitly (lol its easy to find stuff in kids shows): "let the rainbow remind you that together we will always shine". And, there's also Shine Like Rainbows, so yeah.

Pretty basic analysis, so lmk what else you think it could symbolize or other times you've seen it as this symbol if you wanna go even more in-depth on RAINBOWS