Rainbow Roadtrip   

83 users have voted

1. 1. How was the special?

• I LOVED ITT!!!
    • It was pretty great!
    • It was okay
    • I didn't really like it
    • I HATED it!

For me it was more that the movie didn't really execute the style well consistently. There are moments where it's fantastic, mainly during the songs when they weren't forcing visual gags and had a rhythm to work to. I chalk my issues up more to a confused production.

I think Toon Boom CAN work with ponies with the right amount of discipline, and I'm hoping this special might rein it in a bit since they won't be so desperate to keep a mainstream audience's attention. Of course, now you've got me fearing they won't have the same voices, and I'm certain this forum will become unreadable if that happens.

(edited)
Spoiler

From what my Comcast/Xfinity guide shows, it will have a run time of 92mins, 70-80mins if you cut out the commiericals.  So in a way it's basically a sequel to the movie. 

Think about it, done in the same animation style, using parts/bits of script for a purposed sequel, plus a runtime of 92mins (70-80mins w/o commericals), yeah I'd say it's a sequel.(just TF's G1's "Return of Optimus Prime' was, and MLP G1's "The End of Flutter Valley" (first 5 episodes of the G1 series) was.

Agree?

Spoiler

62519355_474619323294284_4567162781119283200_n.jpg

64815403_2048826912087372_2129975445746089984_n.jpg

D9I8k2qWsAAJBlb.jpg

D9I8jkHWsAEL-rK.png

Edited by bwrosas
  • Brohoof 2

You know, I am very curious why this is being marketed as a "Special" when what it seems to actually be is a TV movie? It's using the movie's animation style, is based on the original script for the sequel, the promo even mentions it's "Feature Length" as it has an hour and a half runtime. When I think of a "Special" I'm thinking of something more like Best Gift Ever, a double length episode, not this.

7 hours ago, BastementSparkle said:

You know, I am very curious why this is being marketed as a "Special" when what it seems to actually be is a TV movie? It's using the movie's animation style, is based on the original script for the sequel, the promo even mentions it's "Feature Length" as it has an hour and a half runtime. When I think of a "Special" I'm thinking of something more like Best Gift Ever, a double length episode, not this.

Yeah, it’s weird. Guess it was a mistake, because it looks more like a direct to video film. Oh well, I’m cool with that. I wonder if they axed the other special tho :huh:

8 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Yeah, it’s weird. Guess it was a mistake, because it looks more like a direct to video film. Oh well, I’m cool with that. I wonder if they axed the other special tho :huh:

Hopefully not, I'll take every last drop of G4 pony goodness we can get before this thing ends.

(edited)

No use getting bogged down in nomenclature. Bottom line is we got 66-ish minutes of new Pony next week.

Looks like a midway style between the series and movie. Backgrounds have the flat TV look but the characters have the more fluid motion of the movie. I suspect the story will be the full focus of this special so hopefully that means no gratuitous visual comedy. 

Edited by n1029

Just now, BastementSparkle said:

Hopefully not, I'll take every last drop of G4 pony goodness we can get before this thing ends.

So do I, but no word of that other special mentioned in the leaks :nom:. Would suck  if they axed it, but since it was leaked content, they aren’t obligated to mention if it was even in develo:sunny:pment 

Just now, Steve Piranha said:

So do I, but no word of that other special mentioned in the leaks :nom:. Would suck  if they axed it, but since it was leaked content, they aren’t obligated to mention if it was even in develo:sunny:pment 

There isn't set to be any G5 next year, right? Maybe they're saving it for then, to bridge the gap a little.

5 minutes ago, BastementSparkle said:

There isn't set to be any G5 next year, right? Maybe they're saving it for then, to bridge the gap a little.

Oh yeah, I had mistakenly remembered the G5 movie would be next year :muffins:. Oh well, makes sense to fill the gap with it. I doubt the children live musical show will cut it :mlp_icwudt:

It's great to finally get to see more info on this. It's weird Hasbro's been so secretive given Boulder seems pretty proud of this one

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've always felt that this is how they will keep G4 going in someway, with Feature-Length (DTV/DTTV) Movies and 44-46min specials, till we get to G5. I mean even EQG has one a month later (I think)

Edited by bwrosas

7 hours ago, This Whomps said:

It's great to finally get to see more info on this. It's weird Hasbro's been so secretive given Boulder seems pretty proud of this one

Maybe becau$e they wanna $ave ca$h in add$ becau$e of their experience with the pony movie :huh:. Anyway, I’m excited for more Toon Boom Horses :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

One bad episode and one good one. So could go either way.

I do really like some of the character designs previewed in that book tie in

Edited by n1029

On 6/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, VG_Addict said:

Rainbow Roadtrip was based on a screenplay by Kim Beyer-Johnson, the writer of Non-Compete Clause and Sweet and Smokey.

Yay.

Well, it doesn't mean the special can't be great, but it lowered my expectations a bit. I mean she improved since NCC, so maybe this will be her best work yet, I mean the company seems proud of it...

This is funny, I caused an accident at work yesterday, and got suspended. Had I received the test request that day, I could have gotten back to work this Saturday.... oh well, there’s a bright side: TOON BOON HORSES LIVE STREAM :yay:

(edited)
On 6/17/2019 at 10:53 AM, FlareGun45 said:

No Spike? Yeah, MAIN CHARACTER, Hasbro! You have some way of showing it! :P

Maybe this is a good thing if this means more roles for him season 9, since Cathy'll be more available!

Spike is more of a SECONDARY Character in this movie's case, and Starlight is more of a...

.... TERTIARY Character, like Senor Cardgage. Plus, if Starlight were involved in this, who would run the school in her absence, Discord? Chancellor Neighsay? Sunburst? Maybe the Student Six can take up responsibilities, and become the teachers themselves!

Edited by YoshiAngemon

• The topic was featured

It's not bad, but its pretty boring. They really shouldn't have made this 1 hour, all the other episodes with a similar premise (the crystal empire, the cutie map and sounds of silence) were way more interesting in my opinion. Still, this special has some interesting characters, its the story that's putting it down for me. 

• Brohoof 3

18 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

This special is low-key, but it’s exactly what I expected. I am feeling better about it than before :yay:

It's  the Magic of Friendship that solves the problem! Not the Magic that Twilight talks about! What a cop-out! I wouldn't be surprised if Grogar uses the Magic of Friendship against Twilight, and it results in her turning into Midnight Sparkle, only for her friends to save her! What a cop-out!

• Brohoof 4