Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Rare Xbox 360 promotional DVD from Best Buy

Katie Cadet

Hello fellow Bronies!

There was a promotional DVD disc from 2005 or 2006 for the original white Xbox 360 for use exclusively for Best Buy customers. There seems to be four videos on that disc.

What I did was rip the entire contents of the DVD using HandBrake on an iMac 4K (2017) running macOS (not sure which version) and I've inserted them into this post as convenient web-ready MP4 files. I know, they are not 1080p like the later Xbox 360's, but due to the limitations of the DVD standard, they are in a 480p MPEG-2 container.

The Xbox 360 was released in 2005, at a time when HDTV's are starting to come down in price, and when D-VHS was discontinued in favour of new optical disc formats such as HD DVD and Blu-ray a year later. Microsoft decided to not use Blu-ray on their Xbox 360 line by using the competing HD DVD format, until the Xbox One and Xbox Series started adding Blu-ray support, but all Xbox 360 models, whether with or without the HD DVD playback kit, are not Blu-ray ready.

The Xbox 360 is DVD-based, but in a proprietary data container, however, putting the disc on other devices such as a dedicated DVD-Video player or a computer with a DVD-ROM drive would show the DVD-Video based structure telling you to use it on your Xbox 360 console, which is the same as with the Original Xbox, but starting with the Xbox One and Xbox Series, they started switching to Blu-ray, so there is no DVD-Video based structure, but Microsoft instead changed the fallback to a Data Disc-based format displaying the Metadata information of the game.

Best Buy, in the United States and Canada, was supporting the Xbox 360, but in order to boost sales, they created the promotional DVD containing trailers/commercials and other stuff to provide an out of the box experience unlike other competing retailers. There is also a PDF on the disc when put in a computer containing a flyer for the Xbox 360.

Well, enjoy the nostalgia of the mid-2000s! This is why the Xbox 360 is so common with college room gamers for instance.

Watch, Discuss, Enjoy!

Video Source: Microsoft, Best Buy, Internet Archive

• Brohoof 3

First impression of trailers :) 

Yo, This is seriously intense. The music in the third on sorta makes me think of Portal. Like before the drums.

Woah wireless controllers. They have existed before but now they are actually like good. 

Omg, ur Xbox 360 had a TV remote, Not mine.

OOh dam it's top secret guys you need keys to get access to you Xbox memory card. Also Xbox 360 had memory cards like previous generation? :o 

Are you sure this is the future? I think one big change from then to now is that most of these features like wireless internet is built in now.

Ah yes, the headset that so many 12 year olds used to call other 12 year old bad names.